In person it most definitely has a bronze/gold tint to the glass, but it's hard to see due to the oblique angle from the street and the reflectivity at that angle. Is it as deep and warm as the render suggests? No, absolutely not - but it is coloured.

I suspect we won't get a sense of the true colour and effect until ~5 floors or so are clad.

Good thing there's no precedent at all for gold-tinted glass on a condo in this city...

1641395640405.png

And I was thinking with Nobu was going to be a darker version of that. I guess not...

Gold is the light of the morning sun reflected off the window walls of this building, as this is the one of two times on a cloudless day we'll see this hue. Gold is the smile of A-list actors who promote this project as something far above than it's turning out to be. Gold is the substance of that goose that will come to lay respective eggs to the joy of developers who had invested little for it's keep. Gold is the fools who will throw money at this thinking they'll be living in the lap of Hollywood's elite, despite it turning into a vertical McMansion. Gold is the actual colour we will never see of this now despite the PR material that seems to promise otherwise...

...it's all quite depressing really. /sigh

Gold is the light of the morning sun reflected off the window walls of this building, as this is the one of two times on a cloudless day we'll see this hue. Gold is the smile of A-list actors who promote this project as something far above than it's turning out to be. Gold is the substance of that goose that will come to lay respective eggs to the joy of developers who had invested little for it's keep. Gold is the fools who will throw money at this thinking they'll be living in the lap of Hollywood's elite, despite it turning into a vertical McMansion. Gold is the actual colour we will never see of this now despite the PR material that seems to promise otherwise...

...it's all quite depressing really. /sigh
LOL. Well said. Not Gold At All is the New Gold. 😃

What a total disappointment and a bait-and-switch.
I bought here preconstruction at the very start of launch as my future home but am happy that I later sold it and bought into a much nicer condo development.

The marketing and condo documents mentioned that the window walls will feature bronze-tinted glass and the sculpted faceted panels will be of perforated steel.
What is actually being constructed looks to be a very generic grey framed window wall with grey tinted glass and black spandrel panels which looks nothing like what was depicted in the marketing renderings, but we all know that marketing rendering should be taken as a grain of salt and what is shown as a sleek curtain wall is most likely to be built with crude- and busy-looking window wall. At least the glass is somewhat tinted and won't suffer from the mess of random patterns of white window coverings and residents' furnishings behind the windows after the building is occupied.

I was skeptical about the faceted perforated steel panels that frame the window bays on the tower. They seem overly complicated and expensive to produce, a nightmare to maintain (I could see lots of dirt and debris accumulating inside these panels, and not to mention that the perforated material will never be appreciated or noticed from far away, let alone from the street level. The solid faceted black steel panels make more sense though it's not as cool of a material and oil canning could be an issue. These panels don't seem to have the depth as in the rendering or model so the sculpted facets are not as pronounced and will look fairly flat depending on the light so I anticipate that this design feature will be a huge missed opportunity and the building will look nowhere as distinctive or attractive as proposed. The immediate area is becoming jammed-packed with condo towers, all of similar heights, so much of this building will be obscured and the cheapened details won't be as obvious.

I found that some of Teeple's condo buildings have run through some very bad luck:
Origami Lofts - the developer had financial issues and other difficulties during construction which lots of value engineering was done and the developer eventually went bankrupt and the building was left unfinished and in a very poor state during occupancy. The homeowners had to self-manage the building and get the building finished to an acceptable level (the issues are still ongoing as far as I know).
University Suites (Kingston) - though this development was backed by some strong investors and developers and had much of their approvals in place, this large two-building/phase development was involved in lengthy delays which were caused by another developer of a similar university-marketed condo development just down the street who appealed this project because they couldn't get their own development approved. The delays went on for so long that the developers could no longer move forward and the property was sold.
SIX25BV (Bayview Village) - though the development was almost sold out, the developer, Haven, had some difficulties and the project was eventually cancelled (buyers had their deposits returned after 3 years with no interest or compensation), the property was sold to Canderel who hired G+C to redesign the building to something much more generic and pretty boring.
M5V Condos - while not really a disaster, the execution has a lot to be desired and what was built fell short of what this building should have been. The coloured glass panels do look nice.

What a total disappointment and a bait-and-switch.
I bought here preconstruction at the very start of launch as my future home but am happy that I later sold it and bought into a much nicer condo development.

The marketing and condo documents mentioned that the window walls will feature bronze-tinted glass and the sculpted faceted panels will be of perforated steel.
What is actually being constructed looks to be a very generic grey framed window wall with grey tinted glass and black spandrel panels which looks nothing like what was depicted in the marketing renderings, but we all know that marketing rendering should be taken as a grain of salt and what is shown as a sleek curtain wall is most likely to be built with crude- and busy-looking window wall. At least the glass is somewhat tinted and won't suffer from the mess of random patterns of white window coverings and residents' furnishings behind the windows after the building is occupied.

I was skeptical about the faceted perforated steel panels that frame the window bays on the tower. They seem overly complicated and expensive to produce, a nightmare to maintain (I could see lots of dirt and debris accumulating inside these panels, and not to mention that the perforated material will never be appreciated or noticed from far away, let alone from the street level. The solid faceted black steel panels make more sense though it's not as cool of a material and oil canning could be an issue. These panels don't seem to have the depth as in the rendering or model so the sculpted facets are not as pronounced and will look fairly flat depending on the light so I anticipate that this design feature will be a huge missed opportunity and the building will look nowhere as distinctive or attractive as proposed. The immediate area is becoming jammed-packed with condo towers, all of similar heights, so much of this building will be obscured and the cheapened details won't be as obvious.

I found that some of Teeple's condo buildings have run through some very bad luck:
Origami Lofts - the developer had financial issues and other difficulties during construction which lots of value engineering was done and the developer eventually went bankrupt and the building was left unfinished and in a very poor state during occupancy. The homeowners had to self-manage the building and get the building finished to an acceptable level (the issues are still ongoing as far as I know).
University Suites (Kingston) - though this development was backed by some strong investors and developers and had much of their approvals in place, this large two-building/phase development was involved in lengthy delays which were caused by another developer of a similar university-marketed condo development just down the street who appealed this project because they couldn't get their own development approved. The delays went on for so long that the developers could no longer move forward and the property was sold.
SIX25BV (Bayview Village) - though the development was almost sold out, the developer, Haven, had some difficulties and the project was eventually cancelled (buyers had their deposits returned after 3 years with no interest or compensation), the property was sold to Canderel who hired G+C to redesign the building to something much more generic and pretty boring.
M5V Condos - while not really a disaster, the execution has a lot to be desired and what was built fell short of what this building should have been. The coloured glass panels do look nice.

There are so many disappointing projects - but the common theme for responsibility is much more that of the developer involved and not the design architect. That being said, very few developers are willing to chose G&C for a design for a building they wish to be proud.

On the other hand, to pick and chose some specific projects, and try to imply the common factor in their problems or failure is the choice of architects or the quality of their design - well with the exception of some specific firms - that could be highly misleading.

One of the most admired downtown condominium buildings - Picasso - was by Stephen Teeple. Below is just one of many images in the Urbantoronto Picasso thread - especially around pages 75 and 76.

(I happen to like this one because I took it.....)

00000img_00000_burst20170424110100-jpg.106534

Wait. The towers are getting window wall??

Edit: I just had another look at the renderings. I guess I missed it. Sigh.

Wait. The towers are getting window wall??

Edit: I just had another look at the renderings. I guess I missed it. Sigh.
Looks like only the sides that will also have some of the "3D" panelling. Hopefully that mitigates it a bit..

Back