Im referring to the mullions dividing the spandrel. Why do developers (usually) feel a need to make the opaque aluminum mullions protrude from and clash so much with the glossy spandrel?
I get that...but I am not sure. Perhaps there's a premium on adding colour to those. And since this project seems to be about reducing cost despite saving face, I gather this is the reason why we're seeing this. As I am also not sure we would be seeing much of an improvement otherwise.

From far enough away, it looks fine. The worst is the spandrel back lane treatment.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it Time and Space. At least it's not the same mullion buffet and it is still miles better than the crime-against-humanity that is Peter + Adelaide.

Im referring to the mullions dividing the spandrel. Why do developers (usually) feel a need to make the opaque aluminum mullions protrude from and clash so much with the glossy spandrel?
This is one of the biggest problems with Aura as well, IMO. If they'd done the mullions in the same dark blue as the rest of the window wall it would have been a big improvement. My guess is it must be significantly cheaper to just order generic silver ones, which is why all these low-effort developers do it.

76F1C397-7709-40A8-85B4-8736613F0D43.jpeg

From this angle you can also see the east facing glass on one of the towers.

I thought we’d at least be getting curtain wall here, but nope. The entire render for this building was a complete sham, if I was a buyer I’d be furious.

All these cut corners on the exterior makes it clear that the same is likely done on every thing else. Garbage building. Garbage developer. It is now my new most hated build, partly cause I have to see it every day, but mostly cause of the dishonesty from the marketed vision.

Last edited:
...to be clear though, I am not knocking Teeple for the design. It's what happens when the developers in not so good faith run amok with subpar materials to pad their returns. So in the end the original design is mostly distracted by the dev's awful choices.

And seriously, in what universe is "smoky" brown, gold or bronze? /sigh

Last edited:
I know one of Nobu‘s main backers (De Niro) was having money troubles a while ago. Could the value engineering be a course correction? It would be irresponsible not to speculate. 😀

“Krauss [De Niro’s lawyer] said that De Niro's restaurant and hotel chain, Nobu and The Greenwich Hotel, have made huge losses over the past few months

I know one of Nobu‘s main backers (De Niro) was having money troubles a while ago. Could the value engineering be a course correction? It would be irresponsible not to speculate. 😀

“Krauss [De Niro’s lawyer] said that De Niro's restaurant and hotel chain, Nobu and The Greenwich Hotel, have made huge losses over the past few months

Financing of this building would have next to nothing to do with De Niro's personal money issues. Essentially there's a minority stake tied up with a licensing agreement here, specific terms of which I have no knowledge, but the materials choices would ultimately have been Madison Group's, and anything going up on this tower now would have been ordered ages ago, likely pre-pandemic. The Site Plan Approval application was first submitted to the City in August, 2017, with final revised docs in July, 2018, so approval would easily have been granted in 2019 (no date given on the City's website) with prospective orders placed for materials before everything went south in early 2020.

As I suspected, Mr. De Niro had very little to do with material choices then as he does now. And if even asked about all the spandrel nonsense, he'll probably think it's type of lycra used in workout clothes. So we've really got nothing on him over this.

...and thanks for clarifying this, Mr. 42. /bows

Good morning Sir / Madam,

When is this abomination likely to be complete? I too am truly distraught at the lack of architectural integrity of developments in this city of late.

Signed,
Bongo Wong

Back