6F5D51F9-7C98-49A2-833C-F383A8406F8B.jpeg

The sad reality is that no one, save for the folks on this forum and maybe a few others, cares at all what this will end up looking like.

The complaints about the city's architecture go far beyond this forum. Even Anthony Bourdain had something to say about the topic to his millions of viewers and followers.

I don't agree with this idea that only architecture aficionados care about this stuff. You hear all the time from regular people how buildings are ugly, grey, dreary, bad quality, etc.

If anything I feel like architecture forum posters go easier on buildings than the general public because we have some sense of the process of how things are built, constraints, the general patterns of how things go, and are maybe a bit resigned and desensitized to the general bleakness and junkiness of our current buildings and look for the small wins and silver linings in otherwise poor quality buildings.

Whereas an average person sees the hulking spandrel junk buildings with terrible street presence taking over their city, recoils and scoffs at them, and is radicalized as a NIMBY reactionary/traditional architecture conservative. I think the aesthetics of builds are playing a role in the motivation of people against development, because there's no trust that anything built will be remotely of good quality from clear experience. And many people want the traditional single family home because it has more character and some degree of quality often or nice materiality vs. the made on a budget (but absurdly expensive to buy) spandrel builds that are now the default.

I don't agree with this idea that only architecture aficionados care about this stuff. You hear all the time from regular people how buildings are ugly, grey, dreary, bad quality, etc.

If anything I feel like architecture forum posters go easier on buildings than the general public because we have some sense of the process of how things are built, constraints, the general patterns of how things go, and are maybe a bit resigned and desensitized to the general bleakness and junkiness of our current buildings and look for the small wins and silver linings in otherwise poor quality buildings.

Whereas an average person sees the hulking spandrel junk buildings with terrible street presence taking over their city, recoils and scoffs at them, and is radicalized as a NIMBY reactionary/traditional architecture conservative. I think the aesthetics of builds are playing a role in the motivation of people against development, because there's no trust that anything built will be remotely of good quality from clear experience. And many people want the traditional single family home because it has more character and some degree of quality often or nice materiality vs. the made on a budget (but absurdly expensive to buy) spandrel builds that are now the default.
Hopefully people start to realize Madison keeps doing this. And hopefully someone gets sued.

Even the post-invasion ruins of Ukrainian commieblocks have more architectural dignity and integrity than this wobbly spandrel trash heap.

Just got back from dc. All I can say is wow.
beautiful new buildings, wide sidewalks, trees, parks Toronto should get out a bit and see what they’re doing out there and learn from them.
wemr to the wharf district. They’ve done such an amazing job. Beautiful buildings, restaurants, greenery. The architecture is not just grey glass. They’ve used brick, black metal, glass other types of stones creating a very warm inviting aesthetics. All I see in Toronto is a straight, glass boxy buildings.

Last edited:
Just got back from dc. All I can say is wow.
beautiful new buildings, wide sidewalks, trees, parks Toronto should get out a bit and see what they’re doing out there and learn from them.
wemr to the wharf district. They’ve done such an amazing job. Beautiful buildings, restaurants, greenery. The architecture is not just grey glass. They’ve used brick, black metal, glass other types of stones creating a very warm inviting aesthetics. All I see in Toronto is a straight, glass boxy buildings.
I find that most major US cities have better streetscapes and architecture than Toronto, but only in their business/ shopping / entertainment districts and high-end neighborhoods. Once you leave those areas, it goes downhill pretty fast, and you'll see things that would be shocking in Toronto (blocks and blocks of rundown/ boarded-up houses and tent cities). I guess it's a microcosm of the greater inequality in the US vs Canada.

What would the claim be?

Deceptive Marketing to the end-purchasers. Most of the marketing materials are zoning renderings, not Site Plan-level. There are always clauses which suggest that the renderings are artist representations, but I am curious as to how far that could be stretched. Trump, for instance, was sued for misleading the purchasers about the demand for his brand and suite leasing, even though it was caveated as being directional.

Deceptive Marketing to the end-purchasers. Most of the marketing materials are zoning renderings, not Site Plan-level. There are always clauses which suggest that the renderings are artist representations, but I am curious as to how far that could be stretched. Trump, for instance, was sued for misleading the purchasers about the demand for his brand and suite leasing, even though it was caveated as being directional.
IANAL: I suspect at best the devs slightly may get a slap on the wrist for this, so I doubt anyone would be willing to put up the money to go after them for that slap. And they likely know this.

...as for *rump, that's a different jurisdiction whose precedents are unlikely to impact our legal/civil system.

IANAL: I suspect at best the devs slightly may get a slap on the wrist for this, so I doubt anyone would be willing to put up the money to go after them for that slap. And they likely know this.

...as for *rump, that's a different jurisdiction whose precedents are unlikely to impact our legal/civil system.

To be clear, I meant Trump Toronto.

To be clear, I meant Trump Toronto.
And thanks for clarifying, as he's got more than one suit against him, lol...

...that said, I'm not sure that really makes a difference to what I've posted. I mean, I like that someone could stick to them...but I have suspicion that the devs are entirely at the advantage over this.

I find that most major US cities have better streetscapes and architecture than Toronto, but only in their business/ shopping / entertainment districts and high-end neighborhoods. Once you leave those areas, it goes downhill pretty fast, and you'll see things that would be shocking in Toronto (blocks and blocks of rundown/ boarded-up houses and tent cities). I guess it's a microcosm of the greater inequality in the US vs Canada.
This makes me think of Chicago in particular. The architecture in the city loop is breathtaking, and I believe it is the best collection of skyscrapers in the world. If you disagree, take the architecture cruise next time you go and get back to me 😉
No need to go into detail on Chicago's poverty/violence issues, burning barrels under the expressway, etc as everyone knows about this.

On the other hand, Toronto looks cheap from every angle, but Nobu takes it to such an extreme that I have a hard time believing that its buyers aren't going to be irate.

Back