Alright, translucent. I was afraid that they would be using totally transparent glass on the balconies, which would severely diminish the building's undulating appearance when viewed from afar.

What happens if ice builds up between the glass and the concrete?

I would think it would snap the bottom of the glass off in -20° weather, which we seem to be prone to anymore.

rsNWPxf.jpg

What happens if ice builds up between the glass and the concrete?

I would think it would snap the bottom of the glass off in -20° weather, which we seem to be prone to anymore.

I doubt it - that's the system used all over the city and the failure mode of balcony glass in TO isn't that.

AoD

I doubt it - that's the system used all over the city and the failure mode of balcony glass in TO isn't that.

AoD

Never seen or heard of that issue. Although have seen lots of longer term issues with accumulation of dust/dirt on the glass, and run-off on the slab edge. It is virtually impossible to get anything b/w the glass and the concrete for cleaning purposes. End result being the building starts to look worn/dirty after the first bit of weather rolls though.

Judging only from the photo, the system seems almost designed at present to trap debris and dirt between the balcony glass and the front edge of the balconies. Presumably they will have to fit some cover over that gap.

saw it in person and its actually not bad, kinda liking it. lets hope that they will have curved pane

I would imagine all the curved pieces will be the same curved section so I have no doubt it will also be glass.

It looks like this is a test panel - maybe they have some of the same questions/concerns expressed here.

They have painted the edge of the slab apparently only to the extent that they are installing test panels. I'm hopeful that due to the fact that they have painted the curved section we will be seeing the test curved glass balcony piece soon.

Some Video from One Bloor

[video=youtube;G2qc7DcL2aY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qc7DcL2aY[/video]

More like AD for Brass Rail....

Okay that video made me laugh! Thank you for my smile of the day :) The marketing dept really should have done something similar showing how close One Bloor is to the excitement on Yonge St :p

For such a high profile location I'm surprised there's been no news about future retailers. None of you retail insiders have any info?

all I know is that Ground Floor and Level 2 have a total combined retail space of around 65,000 sq. ft.
and occupancy of these retail spaces probably wont be until 2015.

Last edited:
Okay that video made me laugh! Thank you for my smile of the day :) The marketing dept really should have done something similar showing how close One Bloor is to the excitement on Yonge St :p

I wonder what Caltrane was thinking while making the that video? ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but this white balcony glass, won't that hinder the view? I'm mean what's the point of having an apartment with a gorgeous view when you are sitting inside and all you see is sky? At least with clear glass you would be able to enjoy the view. Same thing when you are sitting on your balcony, all you see is white glass and sky. I've seen people even go to the extent of building a platform on their balcony so they can enjoy their view. Seems like solid balcony railings defeat the purpose of a view.

Back