Yonge Street is going to become a canyon surrounded by skyscrapers on all sides in a few decades stretching from Finch all the way to the Lake.
I assure you that Yonge & Steeles is not too far behind based on what proposes are out there already.

Do we know the unit sizes here? Are these going to be a bunch of studios for $1M? Wondering how big/small the product will be.

Do we know the unit sizes here? Are these going to be a bunch of studios for $1M? Wondering how big/small the product will be.
Saw a marketing email yesterday - starting "in the 900s". I'd venture to guess (could be way off) mid $900's for roughly 550sqft one bedroom, give or take? Don't think there will be any studios in this building. Way too rich for my blood either way 😂

In the mail today:
16166188609913128322251372440483.jpg
16166190341252067011452908544661.jpg

Note there's no 44th floor in the ad. Also probably no 13th floor. Maybe there's another floor skipped so 47 - 3 = 44 real floors.

Note there's no 44th floor in the ad. Also probably no 13th floor. Maybe there's another floor skipped so 47 - 3 = 44 real floors.

...it doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the sound science of a building project under construction when floors are not included for reasons asserted without evidence, to put it mildly. /sigh

...it doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the sound science of a building project under construction when floors are not included for reasons asserted without evidence, to put it mildly. /sigh
It's because they're targeting certain demographics. Chinese believe 44 is bad luck, as it sounds like double death in their language. I lived in a CityPlace building where they skipped all the floors ending in '4' (4, 14, 24) plus 13 for extra measure (although I don't think the Chinese are averse to 13). At least it doesn't look like this building will skip all the floors ending in 4. Doing so would 'add' at least 5 floors (4, 14, 24, 34, 44). I'm guessing they're going to skip 4, 13 and 44.

I do think it's ridiculous to call it a 47 story building though. If that's the case, I could call my 2 story house a 100 story 'tower' (therefore making it the tallest building in Toronto) simply by labeling the 2nd floor as the 100th.

It's because they're targeting certain demographics. Chinese believe 44 is bad luck, as it sounds like double death in their language. I lived in a CityPlace building where they skipped all the floors ending in '4' (4, 14, 24) plus 13 for extra measure (although I don't think the Chinese are averse to 13). At least it doesn't look like this building will skip all the floors ending in 4. Doing so would 'add' at least 5 floors (4, 14, 24, 34, 44). I'm guessing they're going to skip 4, 13 and 44.

I do think it's ridiculous to call it a 47 story building though. If that's the case, I could call my 2 story house a 100 story 'tower' (therefore making it the tallest building in Toronto) simply by labeling the 2nd floor as the 100th.
I do believe if living on those floors makes folks uncomfortable, then it's in their right to not want live there. Meanwhile, I'm sure those floors could be made available to those who don't have such hang-ups.

The number 13 was commonly skipped by Western developers for decades, those buildings seem to be standing fine.

If their intention was to avoid superstitious Chinese buyers then it’s odd that they don’t skip 14 and 24 both of which are “more unlucky” than 4 alone. Either that’s not happening and the ad has it wrong or the marketers at One Delise didn’t do enough research.

Personally, I don’t get the whole number fear phenomenon (across all cultures) but understand some people have those beliefs.

The number 13 was commonly skipped by Western developers for decades, those buildings seem to be standing fine.
To be clear, my issue wasn't directed at Eastern cultures only. Nor have I made any indication of such.

...as for the latter part, as I am sure they've been engineering around this also...since numbers became an issue with some, for right or wrong. I simply have issues with superstitions that becomes policy...especially in areas where science and engineering are concerned. That makes me nervous. :(

If you're going to skip numbers out of concern for the superstitious, then that's 4, 13, 14, 24, 34, and 44—six of them—on the way to 47… which makes no sense since an actual 44-storey building that's being called 47 storeys high is only missing 3 storeys, hence my question to @brandondonnelly of Slate.

Back