Assuming parking garage for the judges, lawyers, law enforcement, etc..

No need for on-street parking meters on University Avenue or surrounding streets.
City Hall GreenP underground parking is right there with the entrance literally in front of the court house. It's a very big parking for more than 2000 cars, also one of the cheapest in downtown. I use it a lot and not a single time had any issues finding a spot.

CFA96481-8695-4D40-8429-6A11F3996EBB.jpeg
093C1FEA-F70A-4F65-9E82-14F293A36BA2.jpeg
F61CA677-86B9-4353-BB05-2DE258CD6A2A.jpeg

The beautiful new lobby has inspired me to create a new Netflix series using this space as a courtroom called ‘Design Crimes’. It will have a prisoners box and a jury area with jurors hand-picked by me. Finally there will be a guest rotation for the judge also picked by me.

The Star out with a story that all is not well at our new Palais de Justice.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...thouse-hit-by-delays-and-staff-shortages.html (behind the paywall)

So far 3 of the various courts to be merged here are on site, with Finch due to move in on Monday.

Apparently there are acute staff shortages resulting in many of the courtrooms being closed, and cases not being heard; with lawyers warning there could be a massive number of dismissals due to Charter-violation delayed justice.

From the above:

1681517498857.png

There seem to be three major issues at play. One is for all staff, including those of courts previously based downtown, which have heavy workloads (in part due to a pre-existing staff shortage), inadequate pay, and that many of the staff who worked in suburban courts are refusing to relocate to downtown.

The shortage of court reporters, and court clerks, trial coordinators and judicial assistants are singled out.

The pay range noted for the former two groups is $23-$29 per hour. While one could do worse, that certainly isn't a great wage to attract and retain quality staff.

Suffice to say there are challenges.

Last edited:
The Star out with a story that all is not well at our new Palais de Justice.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...thouse-hit-by-delays-and-staff-shortages.html (behind the paywall)

So far 3 of the various courts to be merged here are on site, with Finch due to move in on Monday.

Apparently there are acute staff shortages resulting in many of the courtrooms being closed, and cases not being heard; with lawyers warning there could be a massive number of dismissals due to Charter-violation delayed justice.

From the above:

View attachment 469422

There seem to be three major issues at play. One is for all staff, including those of courts previously based downtown, which have heavy workloads (in part due to a pre-existing staff shortage), inadequate pay, and that many of the staff who worked in suburban courts are refusing to relocate to downtown.

The shortage of court reporters, and court clerks, trial coordinators and judicial assistants are singled out.

The pay range noted for the former two groups is $23-$29 per hour. While one could do worse, that certainly isn't a great wage to attract and retain quality staff.

Suffice to say there are challenges.
That’s what a decade + of flat public sector wages get you.. labour shortages in basically every government department.

That’s what a decade + of flat public sector wages get you.. labour shortages in basically every government department.

Wage growth has been poor in Canada for the last decade plus generally; the inordinate supply of cheap labour in the form of TFW's and exploited foreign students ( I mean the 25k for a Seneca program students, not U of T post-grads)

The undermining at the bottom has an effect up the food chain.

Right after graduating uni, while waiting to land my first 'real'; job I briefly worked security at a DT office tower. I made $12 per hour, when the minimum was $6.85.

Today a guard doing that same job, almost 3 decades later is making $17, when minimum is $15.50.

Had that security job retained its percentage premium to minimum of 75%; that guard today would earn $21 an hour (still crap, but much better); had minimum kept pace w/the cost of housing, it would be closer to $24 per hour would have the guard earning over $40 per hour. (or, if you went with fixed dollar premium about $29 per hour).

Any which way.....we've got fairly wide spread wage suppression, particularly for those at or below median income levels.

That combined with a focus on tax-reduction, and corporate welfare has left actual programs starved of cash, including the courts.

Bill 124 has entered the chat. All this turmoil and the supreme court is just going to overturn the legislation eventually anyway.

City Hall GreenP underground parking is right there with the entrance literally in front of the court house. It's a very big parking for more than 2000 cars, also one of the cheapest in downtown. I use it a lot and not a single time had any issues finding a spot.
Interesting observation. I find that CH GreenP often goes through phases of maintenance which results in vast swathes of spaces becoming unavailable. As other lots downtown have been developed as buildings, my perception is that overall the lot is busier, but that Covid/hybrid has dampened it more recently.

I also know that some women users of the lot are reluctant to seek spaces in the lower levels, or to use the lot when they may enter or leave during times of low footfall, due to personal security concerns.

Back