A little odd that they have to close the site up completely just for soil testing - isn't it usually something more "discreet"?

AoD
I wouldn't say it is entirely discreet, as it involves drilling boreholes. The level of disruption will depend on how much due diligence IO is planning on doing. To me it seems like it would be a pain in the ass to do soil testing in an active parking lot, so I would close it (at least temporarily) to conduct said tests.

I remember when SickKids was under construction, they temporarily closed (no hoarding or anything) off the parking lot on the east side of Bay at Walton to do soil testing.

I walked by earlier today, and the sign said that the lot was permanently closed.

I wonder if they have an archeological dig planned for the site as well.

I hope they don't get a boring DSAI glass box here. Or a KPMB blank stone wall with those same old overhangs they use everywhere. Any idea if they'll have a competition?

(Oh and for efficiency's sake, they ought to build a "jail house" residence above--max the air rights here.:))

I don't mind DSAI if they go the Israeli Foreign Ministry route - it's would certainly be dignified enough for a courthouse. Given it's IO, I'd say temper your architectural expectations (with exceptions).

AoD

I wouldn't be surprised for a government project to construct and demolish hoarding for soil testing.

I'd be happy if it looked as good as the one across the street.

Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at Wednesday Jun 17, 2015 11.43.15 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at Wednesday Jun 17, 2015 11.43.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-17 at Wednesday Jun 17, 2015 11.43.15 AM.png
    783.5 KB · Views: 1,237
The York County Court House isn't awful in a vacuum to look at, but when you know what was razed for it...

I hope they bring something unique here instead of all the new courthouses built by Infrastructure Ontario which all look the same.

It's not great inside definitely a blast from the past (in a bad way).

AoD
Well, it's been used hard for almost 50 years and not well maintained. Some of the courtrooms are quite nice. The library is a gem, if it hasn't been reno-ed since the last time I was in there.

Courthouses should look distinctive and attractive being they house some of the most important institutions in our society. They shouldn't look like office buildings or hospitals. They have to stand out in the eyes of ordinary people.

Back