This building doesn't look cheap to me though? Sure, it's subtle and unflashy and from a distance it looks like your standard commercial glass box, but the detailing (what's been done so far, at least) looks top-notch. Lots of good stuff yet to come. The understatedness is by design, so as not to compete with City Hall, not a result of cheapening.

This building doesn't look cheap to me though? Sure, it's subtle and unflashy and from a distance it looks like your standard commercial glass box, but the detailing (what's been done so far, at least) looks top-notch. Lots of good stuff yet to come. The understatedness is by design, so as not to compete with City Hall, not a result of cheapening.

It's good, but definitely not as good as what RPBW is capable of.

AoD

Our "local design industry" had plenty of chances with the IO courthouse portfolio - and was in the running for this project as well. The proposal spoke for itself.

AoD

Do you have a link to the locally designed proposals? I feel that Hariri Pontarini or Teeple could have done better. Just because they wanted to be respectful to City Hall doesn't mean it had to be bland. You can have multiple landmarks existing in harmony.

Do you have a link to the locally designed proposals? I feel that Hariri Pontarini or Teeple could have done better. Just because they wanted to be respectful to City Hall doesn't mean it had to be bland. You can have multiple landmarks existing in harmony.

@ProjectEnd already provided the rendering for one - and you can't "feel" if a firm could do better if they didn't take part in submitting a proposal or make the cut.

Speaking of this project - IO posted the Summer 2022 update (with interior pics):

And the architectural mast didn't get cut - it will be installed this summer. Phew,.

AoD

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way. You need to be 'vetted' (and rightfully so, at times). Hence there were no 'HPA' or 'Teeple' efforts.

Yeah, right. You guys are probably just biased against local design…

Look at something like the Perimeter Institute for a large public building impressively designed by Saucier and Perrotte and Teeple. HPA has a handful of better landmark projects in its portfolio as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, right. You guys are probably just biased against local design…

Look at something like the Perimeter Institute for a large public building impressively designed by Saucier and Perrotte and Teeple. HPA has a handful of better landmark projects in its portfolio as well.

As if "we" somehow prompted IO- - because we apparently have that power - to make a choice for RPBW over the local firm - when a) you didn't even know that there was a local firm in the running and b) didn't know what they proposed, even though it's been posted here ages ago. In the meantime, practically the entire IO courthouse portfolio is handled by local firms - and neither SP, Teeple nor HPA got any of the jobs (large or small). Biased against local design? After seeing what our local firms in this "genre" offered (there is also the somewhat contemporaneous Calgary Courts Centre as an example of a similar scale) , you bet I am wanting a breath of fresh air.

AoD

Last edited:
June 25, 2022:

IMG_5218.jpeg
IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg
IMG_5227.jpeg
IMG_5228.jpeg
IMG_5229.jpeg
IMG_5230.jpeg
IMG_5231.jpeg
IMG_5232.jpeg

From the Renzo Piano exhibition at Harbourfront Centre (until Sep 11, well worth seeing!). I didn’t know there would be a courtyard / atrium on the 16th floor (second photo). Not sure if they’ll actually plant the trees though …

View attachment 414939

View attachment 414940

The Winter 2022 IO update show the interior courtyard with trees.

AoD

UT article about the exhibition:

Though it should be corrected - this isn't the first high-rise courthouse project in Canada - I believe the Calgary Courts Centre would be (and it's a taller/larger building); 180 Queen West is "sort of" one, but it's more a mixed used project.

AoD

Anyone else hate the first few floors of this? It just looks so "busy". Maybe it's just me.

Photos taken yesterday, August 9th, 2022:

We'll start with a simple shot, not of the building (primarily), but of the sidewalk on Chestnut.....as part of this project, both sides of Chestnut, Centre, and Armoury are getting new sidewalks/streetscapes.

DSC09003.JPG

The new streetscape on the south side of Armoury is now complete:

DSC09011.JPG

Now the building, with a bit of focus on soffit work:

DSC09005.JPG

DSC09006.JPG

DSC09007.JPG

DSC09008.JPG

DSC09009.JPG

DSC09010.JPG

DSC09012.JPG

Back