the birds are going to love nesting on that sign

Coo coo coourt of justice.

First line of security for all visitors. Anyways, I guess there is no good way to attach the sign at this location, but it looked really distracting - like someone had mistakenly use the underline font style.

AoD

Last edited:
Can’t have missed @redmars by much.

E1045730-C4BF-4953-82CE-17D37A246B9B.jpeg

The flagpole. It’s so nice to see something completely superfluous in Toronto architecture. We never get frills.
4CF6D9BC-067B-42DE-A31A-71B932547113.jpeg
751DCA10-DAB6-4316-87ED-1F676CCE443F.jpeg
4280B092-8B5E-4618-9B92-06BA3283C083.jpeg

I dont think it's been asked here before, so out of curiosity does anyone know if the current courthouse on University is designated or listed historically?

Just asking because you know, our crook Conservative government.

No, no, no! The "j" in the French name should be in lower case! Ugh. Someone decided to not send this to a translator and, of course, contaminated us with the dreaded disease called capitalitis. Edit: and it doesn't even look like the "J" in the English version.

I think it is in lower case - it might be that they don't want the j to dip under the line.

AoD

The flagpole. It’s so nice to see something completely superfluous in Toronto architecture. We never get frills.
Agreed! This may have been pointed out previously, but I was crossing York at Front shortly after the flag pole was installed and was struck by how strong a visual terminus it creates. From that distance (a kilometre?) the courthouse may otherwise have appeared unremarkable, but the pole reads almost like a spire that helps establish the building’s presence and should provide a useful way finding landmark from Union Station.

I think it is in lower case - it might be that they don't want the j to dip under the line.

AoD
It is taller than the other characters and looks upper case. But indeed, a real lower case "j" wouldn't work in their setup, and God forbid they would adjust it or even choose another way to hang the letters just to accommodate the French! We have worked on the language for their heritage displays for almost two years; why bother when you see this kind of nonsense?

It is taller than the other characters and looks upper case. But indeed, a real lower case "j" wouldn't work in their setup, and God forbid they would adjust it or even choose another way to hang the letters just to accommodate the French! We have worked on the language for their heritage displays for almost two years; why bother when you see this kind of nonsense?

The French "J" is smaller than the "J" in the English... but I personally don't want risk inflaming the Quebec separation movement so I see an easy fix:

Put a dot over the smaller French "J" and call it a bit of artistic license = "j"

The French "J" is smaller than the "J" in the English... but I personally don't want risk inflaming the Quebec separation movement so I see an easy fix:

Put a dot over the smaller French "J" and call it a bit of artistic license = "j"
I have been a translator here for 35 years serving Franco-Ontarians, not Québécois. This is an error that can and should be fixed properly.

...but that would require some sort of way of levitating that dot over the "j" that is likely outside of our technological advancement currently.

Plus we wouldn't want them to separate over losing said dot to a windy day, would we. >.<

Back