Will this result in the reopening of the debate on repurposing Old City Hall if and when the courts relocate? In addition, depending on the regulations concerning court facilities, this could be an opportunity to introduce retail and other uses as well as create a new identity and cohesiveness to an area that currently lacks an one.

Along those lines anyone have any idea what 8 existing court houses they are referring too ?

Along those lines anyone have any idea what 8 existing court houses they are referring too ?

The following are the 11 existing court addresses in Toronto (both Ontario Court and Superior Court) :

311 Jarvis St.
130 Queen St. West
361 University Ave.
1911 Eglinton Ave East
47 Sheppard Ave. East
444 Yonge St., College Park -2nd Fl.
1000 Finch Ave. West
2201 Finch Ave. West
60 Queen St. W. Old City Hall
393 University Ave. -10th Fl.
330 University Ave.

Of these, 130 Queen Street West is Osgoode Hall, which will not relocate. 361 University, the Superior Court building on the former Armoury site is also pretty certain to stay. I expect that 330 University Avenue, which is the Commercial List courts located in the former Federal Court facility in the Canada Life Building, might be another which would not relocate (although I'm less certain about that one).

If we eliminate those three, then every other courthouse, including 393 University Ave, is potentially relocating to the new facility.

Old City Hall is one which is definitely on the relocate list.

The posting on Merx indicated that "up to" 8 courthouses would move. So they may not all relocate. Earlier articles referred only to 5 courthouses that would relocate, which was when it looked like it would only be Ontario Court locations that would be involved.

For those unfamiliar, Ontario Court deals with some family law and some criminal cases. The Superior Court deals with civil lawsuits, as well as more serious criminal cases and family cases.

Newer courthouses in Durham (Oshawa) and Peel (Brampton) are quite large multi-storey structures. If they relocate all 8 courthouses here I could see this building being 10+ stories, even with the large footprint.

Durham Region Courthouse, which is significantly smaller than this one would be, cost $334 million for a design, build, finance, maintain contract (http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/What-We-Do/Projects/Project-Profiles/Durham-Region-Courthouse/). The $15 million value mentioned a while back and in today's front page article in relation to this new courthouse must only relate to an aspect of the project, perhaps the design/engineering.

Last edited:
If this was commercial rather than government, how big could a building here be without a serious fight?

I'm told Milton is even worse than Toronto SCJ, but Barrie, Hamilton and Oshawa are nice.

If this was commercial rather than government, how big could a building here be without a serious fight?

I'm told Milton is even worse than Toronto SCJ, but Barrie, Hamilton and Oshawa are nice.

Milton is definitely crowded and has outgrown it's space. It's also a very confusing layout. However, at least it is a purpose-built courthouse. I wouldn't say it's worse than 393 University - both are bad in their own way.

My wife would be excited if it meant it would be PATH connected via City Hall or otherwise. Getting from downtown law offices to court buildings in that area such as 393 University can be a pain in inclement weather when dragging a document bag and robes.

It would be great if PATH could be expanded north of City Hall. I wonder how much work this would require? Also, I wonder if it would be possible to connect that cluster of office buildings on University?

Will this result in the reopening of the debate on repurposing Old City Hall if and when the courts relocate? In addition, depending on the regulations concerning court facilities, this could be an opportunity to introduce retail and other uses as well as create a new identity and cohesiveness to an area that currently lacks an one.

Museum of Toronto! Can't think of a better spot. The best way to get people engaged and interested in our city's past is to give them a chance to learn about it!

Agreed.

I also think that with the proper civic support (and seed funding) most of the budget can be raised privately.

Toronto is a story about all of us and our shared successes both personal and collective. These corporations, banks, brokerages were all staffed by ambitious Torontonians who owe a piece of their success to the environment they grew up in.

It'll be a cinch I think with the right backers.... In fact the budget could make it spectacular.

Another massive parking lot thankfully dies! As of yesterday, this lot was permanently closed, and wood hoarding is being erected around the perimeter. It's moving much more quickly than any of us expected, it seems.

Not exactly nothing new, if you read the site it says that;
  • Infrastructure Ontario is conducting due diligence on the site and the preliminary testing required to prepare the site for future development. The Ministry of the Attorney General and Infrastructure Ontario are working together to plan and build the new courthouse, which will be publicly owned. In 2016, IO will lead the procurement process for the project on behalf of the government and will be responsible for managing the project during the design and construction phases.

It is likely being hoarded off for conducting soil testing.

Back