the release says construction will start before that in the form of early works - but yea, likely not looking at TBM launch until 2026 or so.

The completion date for the OL has been 2030-2031 or so for a while now, and that still roughly lines up with that timeline. 5-6 years is possible to finish a subway line once you get major construction underway provided the cash is flowing.

This contract includes underpinning of Line 2, which is where the major issue on the Crosstown came up, but hopefully Metrolinx has learned from that project and won't run into the same issue again.

TBM launch likely won't happen until the second half of 2026 based on my interpretation (assuming there are no further delays for contract execution)

Originally timeline was 2027, then 2029, then 2030 and now 2031. Remember after this you have to train TTC personnel and actually get it operational which usually takes minimum of 6 months. So for passengers to board this train will likely be Spring 2032 (about 8 years from now)

Overall, I am impressed this line is moving so quickly ahead but we need it to be quicker so passengers can start boarding asap and there is relief at Yonge and Bloor.

the release says construction will start before that in the form of early works - but yea, likely not looking at TBM launch until 2026 or so.

The completion date for the OL has been 2030-2031 or so for a while now, and that still roughly lines up with that timeline. 5-6 years is possible to finish a subway line once you get major construction underway provided the cash is flowing.

This contract includes underpinning of Line 2, which is where the major issue on the Crosstown came up, but hopefully Metrolinx has learned from that project and won't run into the same issue again.
That last part is pretty much the main reason for the development phase. Its unclear what "early works" means in this context. Id actually be hopeful that tbm's launch within a year or so. As weve seen with the SSE and Eglinton West that the TBM can be done without detailed designs.

With that said 5 years for 2 stations

Remember the RSSOM are the ones responsible for the rails and systems. This contract is for the tunnels and stations No rails or any of the complex systems are in this contract

TBM launch likely won't happen until the second half of 2026 based on my interpretation (assuming there are no further delays for contract execution)

Originally timeline was 2027, then 2029, then 2030 and now 2031. Remember after this you have to train TTC personnel and actually get it operational which usually takes minimum of 6 months. So for passengers to board this train will likely be Spring 2032 (about 8 years from now)

Overall, I am impressed this line is moving so quickly ahead but we need it to be quicker so passengers can start boarding asap and there is relief at Yonge and Bloor.
TTC wont be running this line. This will be fully operated and managed by the RSSOM guys. I remember like 3 years ago there being a discussion about ttc personnel and station attendants, but other than that, i dont believe the TTC will have much integration with the Ontario Line

TTC wont be running this line. This will be fully operated and managed by the RSSOM guys. I remember like 3 years ago there being a discussion about ttc personnel and station attendants, but other than that, i dont believe the TTC will have much integration with the Ontario Line
In theory there are no train operators / conductors. so all you would need is some TTC security guards and couple station attendants and throw in some cleaners.

With the Pape tunnel announcement, is the plan a phased opening, or is it just the phased construction with the whole line opening at the same time, or do we know?

With the Pape tunnel announcement, is the plan a phased opening, or is it just the phased construction with the whole line opening at the same time, or do we know?
Unforseen construction issues aside, the intent for the separate contracts is not to do any kind of half-completed transit line.

this announcement and the contract itself is split up to help mitigate construction challenges and to streamline the process. smaller companies can bid for a 500 million don valley bridge contract and/or don yard early works.

The underpinning should be done first to avoid any issues.

The underpinning should be done first to avoid any issues.
Sure I mean they could go ahead and do that, but doesnt guarantee there wouldnt be any potential issues.

With the Crosstown, I remember it was mentioned by the engineers that if there was even a 1mm (or 1 cm my mind could be slipping on the specifics) shift in the structure that was underpinning the Yonge line tunnel, that would've been enough to cause a significant issue.

All this discussion about underpinning makes it a shame that Donlands is out of the way for the routes alignment since it was underpinned when it was built.
Underpinning involves excavating underneath an existing structure and supporting it, so no, that was not done there. It was not done at any of the stations along the Danforth - yet.

What I suspect that you are trying to convey was that the station was designed to allow another line to be built underneath it. That too is not the case.

Dan

@smallspy your knowledge base might include an answer to this...question, which is tangential to the Ontario Line and perhaps the underpinning question.

What caused Pape's mezzanine to be built on different levels? I presumed they wanted to over or under something.

That really does make for a messy station design, I know they weren't thinking of accessiblity when the station was first built, but even ignoring that, the extra stairs are a bottleneck since people traverse them more slowly that when walking level.

Underpinning involves excavating underneath an existing structure and supporting it, so no, that was not done there. It was not done at any of the stations along the Danforth - yet.

What I suspect that you are trying to convey was that the station was designed to allow another line to be built underneath it. That too is not the case.

Dan
Are you saying the TTC's head of subway construction back in the 80's was wrong when he made this statement?
donlands-1982-feb10-star-xff.jpg

Last edited:
Are you saying the TTC's head of subway construction back in the 80's was wrong when he made this statement?
View attachment 533906
I'm well aware of the quote.

My information comes from someone who was involved in many of the studies in the 1980s regarding the then Downtown Relief Line. He had told me that there was no evidence that was found in any of the structural reports that would imply that any of the stations along the Danforth were built any differently than the others. From a construction standpoint all were equal, and so the choice of the route of the line came down to which alignment suited the network and ridership best, rather than having to factor in anything like which station was better built to handle it.

I took that to mean that none were built with any structural reinforcement, but perhaps he meant that ALL were built with some sort of reinforcement.

Dan

Why does Pape have to be underpinned, but with Osgoode it was sufficient to dig deep enough that the foundations of the original station will not b affected?

Back