20240517_134051.jpg
20240517_133849.jpg
20240517_133759.jpg
20240517_134813.jpg
20240517_140251.jpg
20240517_140649.jpg
20240517_140733.jpg
20240517_140753.jpg

The progress on this line is like a breath of fresh air in comparison to other transit projects. I realize these are just enabling works, but it feels like this has been the fastest from discussion to initial delivery in recent memory.

More of this please! And next, start tackling the massive construction cost inflation :(

Lakeshore East Joint Corridor Mega-Post (Pt 1/2)​

I biked around Leslieville to check out the corridor work, starting at the Queen bridge heading up to the future Gerrard portal.
I made a map to establish the approx. location of each perspective I captured.
photo-map.png

1. Queen bridge from west:
    Not much to see here, this won't be touched until the entire east side is complete. The west edge of the current bridge is approximately the middle of the OL island platform .
    IMG_0964.jpeg
  2. Queen bridge from east
    Lots of work to do, I think we are far off target of 3 new eastern tracks in service Spring 2025
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
  3. North of Jimmie Simpson Rec Centre
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0980.jpeg
  4. Near Paisley Ave
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0989.jpeg
  5. Dundas bridge from east
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
  6. Logan bridge from south
    IMG_0995.jpeg

Last edited:

Lakeshore East Joint Corridor Mega-Post (Pt 2/2)​

7. Near First Ave
Old building demolished here, now a staging area and eventually a parkette next to the end of Gerrard Station. Second picture shows the hill I’m standing on for the first picture.​
IMG_1003.jpeg
IMG_1001.jpeg
8. Gerrard Station from west
The existing west side of the bridge will not be modified. The OL station will be built next to this bridge.​
IMG_1006.jpeg
9. Gerrard Station from east
This view may be slightly obstructed by the station, but this whole rail bridge will be untouched since it already carries 4 tracks.​
IMG_1007.jpeg
10. Near Pape Ave
No signs of demo at No Frills yet.​
IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1013.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1024.jpeg
11. Gerrard Portal
I believe the portal will require demo of most of these residential units here. This is the TBM launch site!​
IMG_1018.jpeg
12. Langley sewer relocation from south
To accommodate the Ontario Line tunnel, the storm sewer is being relocated using subsurface tunneling under the Pape Ave school property.​
IMG_1027.jpeg
13. Langley sewer relocation from north
IMG_1028.jpeg

In the 5th shot in, are those things sticking out of the embankment the track is on, the old wooden trestle they built when they embankment (so that they could fill it in with soil)?

In the 5th shot in, are those things sticking out of the embankment the track is on, the old wooden trestle they built when they embankment (so that they could fill it in with soil)?
I’m not sure exactly which part you’re referencing but I think you’re probably seeing some part of the newly constructed temporary retaining walls.

Full context:

They are clearing utilities, tree roots and debris that will impact soil stability under/next to the new tracks. Soil under live tracks remains undisturbed using the temporary piled retaining walls. A variety of conditions determine where the walls are built, this is why there isn’t one continuous wall. In general, good soil remains in place to avoid unnecessary backfill.

The retaining walls we see are composed of three parts. The vertical steel beams driven deep in the ground are called H-piles. The horizontally laid wooden posts are slotted in behind the lip of the H-piles as the wall height increases. They resist the load of the retained soil and transfer it to the piles. Finally, lateral support may be provided by anchors drilled deep into the retained soil and braced to the piles (pointy stick on wooden wall).

I’m not sure exactly which part you’re referencing but I think you’re probably seeing some part of the newly constructed temporary retaining walls.
You can see the retaining walls below whatever is sticking out.

Which looks like it could be very old wood to me.
1716143313769.png

We know the wood trestle remained after they poured in the soil. And after 100 years, we'd expect there to still be some wood in there.

I've always been a bit concerned that there couldn't have been the necessary soil compaction the way it was originally placed, and wondered what the impacts would be if the wood slowly degraded. Or partially removed.

When was this?
It was over 30 years ago, to be honest. Though I don't see a lot of changes, as I frequently go through the area.

Btw, can you tell me which buildings in Thorncliffe you found to be "swankier" (except for possible "Leaside Towers", in which I know many ppl who have moved out and want to leave because "the buildings are not nice anymore"). Honestly, I can't stop laughing about the "swankier" thing. It's like saying "the South Side seemed swankier than Cabrini Green".
I said swankier - not swanky. A hovel is can still be more swankier than a damp mouldy cave.

Lakeshore East Joint Corridor Mega-Post (Pt 2/2)​

7. Near First Ave
Old building demolished here, now a staging area and eventually a parkette next to the end of Gerrard Station. Second picture shows the hill I’m standing on for the first picture.​
8. Gerrard Station from west
The existing west side of the bridge will not be modified. The OL station will be built next to this bridge.​
9. Gerrard Station from east
This view may be slightly obstructed by the station, but this whole rail bridge will be untouched since it already carries 4 tracks.​
10. Near Pape Ave
No signs of demo at No Frills yet.​
11. Gerrard Portal
I believe the portal will require demo of most of these residential units here. This is the TBM launch site!​
12. Langley sewer relocation from south
To accommodate the Ontario Line tunnel, the storm sewer is being relocated using subsurface tunneling under the Pape Ave school property.​
13. Langley sewer relocation from north

Outstanding pair of posts! Great pics, helpful map, superb!

Still don't understand why they didn't bring this line to Don Mills station at Sheppard. It's 3 more stations all above ground. Bringing it north after that would have been phase 2.

Back