interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Database files coming soon, but here are the first renderings in the meantime:

01_Exhibition_Headhouse_Street_2022_0204_PRINT.jpg
01_Future Exhibition Station aerial view looking east.jpg
01_Future Exhibition Station and shared corridor view from the Gardiner Expressway.jpg

A little confused here. Is this project planning to use existing rail corridors or its own dedicated track that follows the existing corridors in part?

I also had presumed likely incorrectly that this would be a new subway system for relief line purposes that's being expanded upon. The renderings seem to suggest a LRT system with overhead cables for a power source...so I can now assume this isn't a subway project in the truest sense? Or am I misreading this?

A little confused here. Is this project planning to use existing rail corridors or its own dedicated track that follows the existing corridors?

I also had presumed likely incorrectly that this would be a new subway system for relief line purposes that's being expanded upon. The renderings seem to suggest a LRT system with overhead cables for a power source...so I can now assume this isn't a subway project in the truest sense? Or am I misreading this?
These tracks will be built to the north of the existing GO Tracks. Yes, there's a pantograph shown on the top of the Ontario Line train, trains that won't be running for at least 8 years, by which time the GO Trains pictured likely should have different, electric locos pulling them too. No wires shown for any of them though, and I wouldn't read too much into the renderings in that regard anyway.

Heavy rail equipment around the world works with pantographs, no reason that could not be put on the trains that end up on this system, which won't be as large and heavy as the Line 1, 2, and 4 trains anyway. No reason to not call it a subway either.

These tracks will be built to the north of the existing GO Tracks. Yes, there's a pantograph shown on the top of the Ontario Line train, trains that won't be running for at least 8 years, by which time the GO Trains pictured likely should have different, electric locos pulling them too. No wires shown for any of them though, and I wouldn't read too much into the renderings in that regard anyway.

Heavy rail equipment around the world works with pantographs, no reason that could not be put on the trains that end up on this system, which won't be as large and heavy as the Line 1, 2, and 4 trains anyway. No reason to not call it a subway either.

Fair enough! And thanks for answering that. /bows

Some valid criticisms already. Part of what I love about this site. However. I for one couldn’t be more excited by the promise shown in these renders, and look forward to returning to this thread a million times in the next decade.

...and you'll still have to walk halfway back to Strachan to get on the 509/511 streetcars.
That will likely change once the streetcar tracks are extended to the Dufferin Loop. The city has been waiting for the design of Exhibition station to be finalized before advancing that plan, but from my understanding they have funding for it.

Back