interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Database file coming soon, but in the meantime, here is the first rendering:

10_Future Ontario Line station spanning Carlaw Ave at Gerrard St.jpg

…and might I say, this one is super-sexy. Me like.

I assume the No Frills and Plaza is toast?
I'm not sure if the entire site has been purchased for construction purposes by Metrolinx, with the unneeded areas to be sold off later, but yes they require the area lining the current tracks for the new tracks and station. Certainly there will be planning for a mixed-use redevelopment on the site at some point.

Here's the neighbourhood context map:

olta_east_segment_maps_mx_engage_gerrard_20220201_final.png

…and one focusing on the tunnel portal:

olta_east_segment_maps_mx_engage_gerrard_portal_20220201_final.png

Last edited:
Are Platform Screen Doors confirmed for this line or will they also be eventually removed?

Well all indications so far seems they will be a part of this line and we haven't heard anything different.

"Station platforms will be protected by screen doors that only open after the train has arrived – making it impossible to cross the tracks or drop things on them."

Oof, losing No Frills and the park is going to be a PITA for my mom. I hate to be a NIMBY, but losing both the Gerrad park and Jimmy Simpsons is not great for the neighbourhoods.

Oof, losing No Frills and the park is going to be a PITA for my mom. I hate to be a NIMBY, but losing both the Gerrad park and Jimmy Simpsons is not great for the neighbourhoods.
good thing you aren't losing Jimmy Simpson then!

The No Frills plaza was overdue for a redevelopment anyway. The walmart in Gerrard Square means that there are still affordable grocery options in the area.

Oh? I thought Jimmy Simpsons was on the chopping block for this line. https://www.savejimmiesimpson.ca/
The NIMBYs want you to think that but all Metrolinx is doing is cutting down a couple of trees along the rail corridor. They will actually be adding a small amount of park area to Jimmy Simpson:

OL-Lakeshore-East-Park-Restoration-Leslieville-1-DFT-V14-2021-06-24.jpg

Even Gerrard Carlaw will only see a relatively small area taken, with the net park size being larger than prior to the line opening. The park will temporarily be closed during construction though:

OL-Lakeshore-East-Park-Restoration-Gerrard-DFT-V14-2021-06-24.jpg

Back