I mean unlikely but I'd love to see a cafe or something as well as the entrance in these buildings. A subway entrance does not need to take up the whole building.
These days, until the 1950s, the entrances would have to include, not just stairs, but escalators (both up and down, along with a spare in case of breakdowns), and elevators (two, in case of breakdowns).

These days, until the 1950s, the entrances would have to include, not just stairs, but escalators (both up and down, along with a spare in case of breakdowns), and elevators (two, in case of breakdowns).
Right, but do both entrances to the station need to accommodate all that? Or can they just be crammed into one, leaving the other more available for retail/restaurant purposes?

Asked the Ontario line community team for more info, preparatory work is due to begin at this site in the fall, excavation in summer 2023.
However, they are aiming to take possession of all properties before the fall of THIS year and are still in active negotiations with the owners.

Expect all these bars (Banknote, Regulars, EFS and Love Child) to announce their closures/relocation in the next couple of months folks.

Ah yes here comes the slow death of bars along King West (which themselves shifted west because of the city's insistence on killing the Entertainment District). It's a shame really, but in this case it's sadly warranted.

"The city's insistence on killing the Entertainment District"? That's a creative retelling of history there, friend...
There were multiple parties involved, but yes the city played a very strong role in making the "entertainment" district what it is today (ie: virtually devoid of any entertainment).

There were multiple parties involved, but yes the city played a very strong role in making the "entertainment" district what it is today (ie: virtually devoid of any entertainment).

This is revisionist (or at the very least misleading perhaps on account of definitional differences). The back story is that ED had a real problem with crime that needed fixing, and the prescribed solution was, in broad strokes, to reduce the number of douchey clubs that chronically attracted trouble, through redevelopment that brought an injection of a more varied type of retail offerings and, of course, a substantial amount of residential.

If "entertainment" means douchey clubs, yes, there are far fewer of those, now, and to me (and most, I would argue), that is a good thing. But it's nuts to claim that any broader definition of "entertainment" is gone from the ED; I would argue that there is now more "entertainment" in the neighbourhood than there ever has been. Take a stroll down King from John-ish to Bathurst on any Thursday-through-Sunday and you'll see so many people engaging in various types of entertainment that they're literally spilling off the sidewalks and into the street.

Last edited:
This is revisionist (or at the very least misleading perhaps on account of definitional differences). The back story is that ED had a real problem with crime that needed fixing, and the prescribed solution was, in broad strokes, to reduce the number of douchey clubs that chronically attracted trouble, through redevelopment that brought an injection of a more varied type of retail offerings and, of course, a substantial amount of residential.
Yes this is essentially the backstory of it all, which I didnt really want to go into much detail for the sake of keeping the thread from deviating too much. I wont argue that the previous clubs didnt bring trouble (they did) but ultimately the city could have done more to ensure additional forms of entertainment could be accommodated while all the new residential development was being brought online. They didnt, and most of the retail that is on the strip now virtually all complain that it's damn near impossible to do good business and we've seen a lot of them being forced shutter for one reason or another (this is pre-COVID btw).

If "entertainment" means douchey clubs, yes, there are far fewer of those, now, and to me (and most, I would argue), that is a good thing. But it's nuts to claim that any broader definition of "entertainment" is gone from the ED; I would argue that there is now more "entertainment" in the neighbourhood than there ever has been. Take a stroll down King from John-ish to Bathurst on any Thursday-through-Sunday and you'll see so many people engaging in various types of entertainment that they're literally spilling off the sidewalks and into the street.
The busy section of the Entertainment District today is from Bathurst to Spadina (where most of the remaining bars/clubs/restaurants) are located. Go east of Spadina and you'll see that the area is virtually dead in the evening throughout the week, asides from people walking to and from the King/Spadina area from said bars and restaurants. There are various other developments on the books which are pretty much set to dismantle the remaining busy section from Bathurst to Spadina.

… set to dismantle the remaining busy section from Bathurst to Spadina.

And the city will be worse off because of it. Sad how Toronto seems to be constantly pushing young people out. From babies and children—with the smaller and smaller housing units and crowded schools—to the teenage and young adults, who are being pushed out of the housing market (in rent and ownership) while seeing more and more of their interests being bulldozed. I can agree that perhaps a club on every corner of ED was a bit excessive and there were clearly issues with that model but with Ballroom closing and Cineplex being redeveloped, what's left in the Entertainment District except for half of Restaurant Row and the Theatres (neither of which are enticing to people in their 20s such as myself)?

Don't we want some youth, vitality, and new blood in here? If not, I guess it's a good thing we have a Shoppers/Rexall on every corner to quell the pharmacy lines.

Entertainment comes in many forms, and not just massive clubs. It's quite the mistruth to claim that the precinct is devoid of entertainment currently.

The truth of the matter is that clubbing culture also changed to something more boutique around the same time. The Entertainment District as it was known would have changed significantly with our without municipal intervention.

^You're right it's not just clubbing that makes up entertainment, and entertainment is encompassed with various different factors. But let's be honest here, there are at least 5 different areas of the city that are much more lively then the current "entertainment" district.

The district's name once accurately reflected what one could expect to see when they explored the area, but that's really no longer the case. Whether it's right or wrong, the construction of the King-Bathurst station will pretty much spell the end for the remaining "entertainment" factor in the district.

^You're right it's not just clubbing that makes up entertainment, and entertainment is encompassed with various different factors. But let's be honest here, there are at least 5 different areas of the city that are much more lively then the current "entertainment" district.

The district's name once accurately reflected what one could expect to see when they explored the area, but that's really no longer the case. Whether it's right or wrong, the construction of the King-Bathurst station will pretty much spell the end for the remaining "entertainment" factor in the district.
I would argue king / portland is the heart of the entertainment district right now rather than king / Bathurst though

It may not be your cup of tea but it could be for others and contributes for the liveliness of the Entertainment District.
Choices are good.

I don't like Mexican food but I'm glad there's alot of them around the city, even I don't go to eat there

Last edited:
I would argue king / portland is the heart of the entertainment district right now rather than king / Bathurst though
I would agree. Saying that removing the banknote, EFS and regulars from that intersection is going to spell the end of king west hyperbolic at best. The area is absolutely packed every weeknight and weekend and those three clubs will not make much of a dent IMO. Not to mention the eventual additional influx of people that will come with a new subway stop.

Back