When snow was able to shutdown the SRT and above ground portions of the Yonge-Spadina lines, I don’t understand why any of the Ontario line is exposed.

You don't have to go underground to solve extreme weather issues, you just have to use the proper technology.

Heated switches, overhead power with deicers, plows on the front of trains, all these cost a fraction less than a tunnel.

You don't have to go underground to solve extreme weather issues, you just have to use the proper technology.

Heated switches, overhead power with deicers, plows on the front of trains, all these cost a fraction less than a tunnel.
The REM in Montreal is undergoing winter testing right now. Montreal get's more snow than Toronto. So far we have not heard about any winter issues. But we will see once the project opens later this year. Will be a good project to watch.

That project is a good example of a contemporary turnkey 'off the shelf' metro line using overhead catenary. I would not be surprised if the OL looks and functions similarly.

Last edited:
Corktown wil bee litterally a 4 minute walk lol from the eastern edge of distiller lol not too minuts.
I'm getting 250 metres from the east entrance, just west of Parliament, south of King, to the corner of the Distillery at Mill and Parliaments. About 3 minutes - 2 if you speed walk.

Though the station does seem to be getting both further west and north. It isn't even Corktown anymore. Should call it Parliament.

The REM in Montreal is undergoing winter testing right now. Montreal get's more snow than Toronto. So far we have not heard about any winter issues. But we will see once the project opens later this year. Will be a good project to watch.

That project is a good example of a contemporary turnkey 'off the shelf' metro line using overhead catenary. I would not be surprised if the OL looks and functions similarly.
Yes, I think it's extremely probable that the similarities will be numerous.

Wouldn't be too upset if Innovia w/ 3rd rail was decided on. Built here, small trains, small tunnels, more refined looking infrastructure (i.e without catenary poles making things messier).

Wouldn't be too upset if Innovia w/ 3rd rail was decided on. Built here, small trains, small tunnels, more refined looking infrastructure (i.e without catenary poles making things messier).
theres images, the OL/go shared corridor. it 100% will use catenary

I honestly can't see us going with the Innovia simply because we know full well the technology cannot handle our winters. Every year the SRT is taken out of service for some time due to snow and ice build up on the reaction rail.

what station? at strachan? at tecumseh?distiller has a station. its litterally a 2 minute walk? lol

yes at tecumseh or wherever GO and the Ontario Line could theoretically have an interchange station. It's not necessary in the Distillery however because East Harbour will act as an interchange station, but to not have something similar in the west seems like byproduct of poor design. This alignment in general is ill conceived west of Spadina without it.

yes at tecumseh or wherever GO and the Ontario Line could theoretically have an interchange station. It's not necessary in the Distillery however because East Harbour will act as an interchange station, but to not have something similar in the west seems like byproduct of poor design. This alignment in general is ill conceived west of Spadina without it.
wat?
we discussed this like 2 or 3 pages back.
The point of exhibition is litterally a western interchange for GO lines.
you cant even put a station at tecumsh its litterally like 200m away from king/bathurst.

wat?
we discussed this like 2 or 3 pages back.
The point of exhibition is litterally a western interchange for GO lines.
you cant even put a station at tecumsh its litterally like 200m away from king/bathurst.

The alignment is poorly conceived west of Spadina. It's not an interchange for GO lines as it will only connect to Lakeshore West. A station at Bathurst & Front would have allowed for a transfer to 4x GO Lines. The point of Exhibition? Exhibition Station already exists. It's just a contrived way of pretending it connects to Ontario Place, hence the Lines awful namesake.

I don't think it's necessary for the Ontario Line to have an interchange with every single GO line. As it is, Union and Lansdowne/Bloor aren't too far away, and it becomes more of a last-mile solution. And since it doesn't look like any two GO lines will stop at the same place west of Union, we might as well interchange with the line that has both the highest ridership and the most development potential.

I'm also hopeful that by the time the Ontario Line is completed, there are already plans in place to make Ontario Place a destination once again.

The alignment is poorly conceived west of Spadina. It's not an interchange for GO lines as it will only connect to Lakeshore West. A station at Bathurst & Front would have allowed for a transfer to 4x GO Lines. The point of Exhibition? Exhibition Station already exists. It's just a contrived way of pretending it connects to Ontario Place, hence the Lines awful namesake.
You're ignoring that Exhibition Station has other attractions at it beside Ontario Place. BMO Field in particular (and the CNE when it occurs), That gives it value as a subway station beyond just Ontario Place, especially when it is extended westward. Also given the ridership of Lakeshore West, that is the most valuable line to connect to in the West. Kitchener/Barrie lines will connect to the 504 at Liberty Village anyway and people can switch to the OL from there at King and Bathurst if they choose to. Yes that's an additional transfer but the connection is still there (or they can take the 504, along it's priority corridor further down King). To connect the OL to the Barrie./Kitchener lines you'd have had to move Liberty Village GO substantially to the east, which means it would be far more redundant with Exhibition/Spadina GO stations, and would also reduce service to people in neighbourhoods like Parkdale who will see more benefit from a station at King/Atlantic than they would at the base of Tecumseh. Plus given the western extension is still to come, and is yet undefined, if the OL turns north, it can always connect to the other GO lines as it travels that way.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a station under the Ordinance Triangle, since the tunnel passes under it, but the lack of one isn't a disaster, and much like the lack of a station at Cherry, it probably just comes down to tunnel geometry not working to locate a station there, as both of these are locations where the station is heading towards a surface portal, which means either you have to move the portal (which there may not be space to do) or you have to build a station that is literally on an incline, which is insane. So I get why those stations didn't happen, even if in an ideal world they existed.

You're ignoring that Exhibition Station has other attractions at it beside Ontario Place. BMO Field in particular (and the CNE when it occurs), That gives it value as a subway station beyond just Ontario Place, especially when it is extended westward. Also given the ridership of Lakeshore West, that is the most valuable line to connect to in the West. Kitchener/Barrie lines will connect to the 504 at Liberty Village anyway and people can switch to the OL from there at King and Bathurst if they choose to. Yes that's an additional transfer but the connection is still there (or they can take the 504, along it's priority corridor further down King). To connect the OL to the Barrie./Kitchener lines you'd have had to move Liberty Village GO substantially to the east, which means it would be far more redundant with Exhibition/Spadina GO stations, and would also reduce service to people in neighbourhoods like Parkdale who will see more benefit from a station at King/Atlantic than they would at the base of Tecumseh. Plus given the western extension is still to come, and is yet undefined, if the OL turns north, it can always connect to the other GO lines as it travels that way.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a station under the Ordinance Triangle, since the tunnel passes under it, but the lack of one isn't a disaster, and much like the lack of a station at Cherry, it probably just comes down to tunnel geometry not working to locate a station there, as both of these are locations where the station is heading towards a surface portal, which means either you have to move the portal (which there may not be space to do) or you have to build a station that is literally on an incline, which is insane. So I get why those stations didn't happen, even if in an ideal world they existed.

The amount of event space there is crazy. I'd like to know if an option was floated of burrowing the line and having the station aligned north/south more central to the Ex grounds. Makes a less optimal transfer for GO-subway riders sure, but vastly improves station access to people attending shows, concerts, games, etc. Current plans it's approaching 1km to Budweiser stage....pretty far. I guess we'll never know since the Prov keeps things under wraps, but am curious if a perpendicular Ex station was looked at.

The amount of event space there is crazy. I'd like to know if an option was floated of burrowing the line and having the station aligned north/south more central to the Ex grounds. Makes a less optimal transfer for GO-subway riders sure, but vastly improves station access to people attending shows, concerts, games, etc. Current plans it's approaching 1km to Budweiser stage....pretty far. I guess we'll never know since the Prov keeps things under wraps, but am curious if a perpendicular Ex station was looked at.

It would be pretty tough to do without going underground/deviating majorly from the rail corridor.

AoD

Back