FYI - Ontario Line draft Environmental Impact Assessment Report(EIAR) will be made available for public review and comment on February 7th.

Open houses will be held on

- Tuesday February 22 and Thursday February 24 – Science Centre Station to Gerrard Station.
- Tuesday March 1 and Thursday March 3 – Gerrard Station to Exhibition Station.

Seems as thought they want EIAR approved by the Minister prior to the elections in 3.5 months. At that point nothing besides signing the actual contracts is left. Who would have thought Ford could achieve this in his first term.

ive always wondered if the reaction rail was made vertical like they have on LIM rollercoasters, if that would have solved the problem.

It also would have potentially solved the issue of the train being lifted slightly off the tracks, requiring the need for a 4th rail (the lifting of the wheels off the track opened the closed circuit of the electrification ground through the tracks)

I could see issues with tolerances in turns and such though, theres a reason those reaction rails on rollercoasters only exist on straight aways.

Yeah, tolerances on turns and across switches could have been a problem for a vertical reaction rail.
I know that there are two third rails on the side - I guess one is a ground?
The lifting must be related to the lack of traction drive through the wheels, which is also reflected in the rusting of the track due to lack of grinding seen with traction drive vehicles.

Yeah, tolerances on turns and across switches could have been a problem for a vertical reaction rail.
I know that there are two third rails on the side - I guess one is a ground?
The lifting must be related to the lack of traction drive through the wheels, which is also reflected in the rusting of the track due to lack of grinding seen with traction drive vehicles.
Yes one of the "3rd rails" is +300V DC, while the other is -300V DC. This is because the trains can't discharge the spent current into the rails like non-LIM trains do, due to the wheels being lifted off the tracks while in motion. Its the same priniciple as Trolley Buses having 2 polls and wires since rubber is an insulator, so spent current can't go through the wheels like it does on a streetcar.

Yes one of the "3rd rails" is +300V DC, while the other is -300V DC. This is because the trains can't discharge the spent current into the rails like non-LIM trains do, due to the wheels being lifted off the tracks while in motion. Its the same priniciple as Trolley Buses having 2 polls and wires since rubber is an insulator, so spent current can't go through the wheels like it does on a streetcar.

I believe not exactly "while in motion" (that would have negated the need for wheels at all) but only initially when the LIM first pushes the train forward. The acceleration forces are forward and up, so for an initial brief second, the wheels leave the track by mere millimeters, but its enough to break the electrical circuit. So what happens is you get a terrible oscillation effect, where the motor pushes the train up, cuts power, motor stops, train falls, contact is reestablished, motor pushes train forward, train lifts off track, power is cut. Over and over.

I'm surprised that since it was only a small brief period where contact is lost, they didnt just opt for a small battery on the train or a large capacitor, to fill in the small gaps when the train is lifted. Seems to me that would have been cheaper than constructing an entire other 4th rail.

Tidbit in the EA:
1644254074309.png

How about extending the 505 DUNDAS streetcar eastward along Dundas Street East to Carlaw Avenue and northward along Carlaw Avenue to loop around the GERRARD STATION using Carlaw, Old Gerrard Street, and Gerrard Street? GERRARD STATION would be able to feed the 505 DUNDAS streetcar and relieve congestion at BROADVIEW STATION. While Dundas Street East maybe narrower than most streets served by streetcars in Toronto, trams in European cities serve even narrower streets.

From link.

narrow-street-tram-lyons.jpg
paris-narrow.jpg

ive heard references to the "new liberty street between dufferin and strachan.
Wonder if MX will do this or shove it to the city to complete?

How about extending the 505 DUNDAS streetcar eastward along Dundas Street East to Carlaw Avenue and northward along Carlaw Avenue to loop around the GERRARD STATION using Carlaw, Old Gerrard Street, and Gerrard Street? GERRARD STATION would be able to feed the 505 DUNDAS streetcar and relieve congestion at BROADVIEW STATION. While Dundas Street East maybe narrower than most streets served by streetcars in Toronto, trams in European cities serve even narrower streets.

From link.

narrow-street-tram-lyons.jpg
paris-narrow.jpg
I believe Metrolinx has said they're doing the design of Gerrard station and the OL/GO bridge over Dundas to allow for this extension to be built if/when the TTC wants to. So at least we're future-proofing for it, but now we need the city to actually want to build it.

I believe Metrolinx has said they're doing the design of Gerrard station and the OL/GO bridge over Dundas to allow for this extension to be built if/when the TTC wants to. So at least we're future-proofing for it, but now we need the city to actually want to build it.

Let me make you smile:

1639488479619-png.369015

From the TTC's Real Estate Investment Plan.

Look at the top line

This is very much on the City/TTC's radar

* For clarity, note that:

a) The project is currently unfunded

b) That, to my understanding, the dates shown reflect Real Estate's portion of the project, not construction.

With a Broadview Streetcar, that would make the BROADVIEW STATION congestion worse with THREE streetcar lines (504 KING, 505 DUNDAS, 5?? BROADVIEW) and FOUR bus routes (8 BROADVIEW, 62 MORTIMER, 87 COSBURN, 100 FLEMINGDON PARK). By moving the 505 DUNDAS over to GERRARD STATION, that would ease some congestion off BROADVIEW STATION.

Back