If it had gone one stop further west to Spadina, that one stop would've been extremely useful & well used, due to the tech office boom happening around Spadina. At least the King streetcar is much better now. Hopefully it can handle the growing number of people living and working west of downtown. I wonder if the new GO station at Spadina would help as well.

The whole corridor from Liberty Village to University along King or Queen would be a prime candidate for subway I'd think. Still happy to see any progress or movement on relief line of course to relieve Yonge & provide access to eastern downtown.

Well... I'll discuss with them tomorrow, but Queen between University and Bathurst is Heritage District, and almost everything is hertiaged list too. The nearest two properities that are not actually listed are right across from 250 (apartment complex) and 278... although unless it was new build to look old, I dont see why that one is not heritage listed too. And .... Bathurst to Jamieson is under study for a Heritage District along Queen too.

I think @yin_yang meant University.

Not to stray too OT, but if the tail tracks will extend out to John St already; how much added expense would it be to just extend out to Spadina as an end point to Phase 1? At least then alleviating second busiest surface route in the city could be achieved.

Not to stray too OT, but if the tail tracks will extend out to John St already; how much added expense would it be to just extend out to Spadina as an end point to Phase 1? At least then alleviating second busiest surface route in the city could be achieved.
Has there been any official indication of where the DRL would continue beyond University?
Will it continue along Queen? Dip down to King?
My guess is they haven't put enough thought into it and don't want to commit by extending the line and tying their hands for future extension.

Has there been any official indication of where the DRL would continue beyond University?
Will it continue along Queen? Dip down to King?
My guess is they haven't put enough thought into it and don't want to commit by extending the line and tying their hands for future extension.

They haven't started planning it yet because there isn't enough political motivation or pressure to extend it westward.

If it had gone one stop further west to Spadina, that one stop would've been extremely useful & well used, due to the tech office boom happening around Spadina. At least the King streetcar is much better now. Hopefully it can handle the growing number of people living and working west of downtown. I wonder if the new GO station at Spadina would help as well.

The whole corridor from Liberty Village to University along King or Queen would be a prime candidate for subway I'd think. Still happy to see any progress or movement on relief line of course to relieve Yonge & provide access to eastern downtown.

I'm actually fine with not extending it past University in Phase 1, because there's still a lot of discussion to have around where the line goes from there. Do you run it straight along Queen? Do you dip it south towards King? Do you veer north along Spadina to connect it to the Spadina Subway? Each of those options could require a different placement of the station at Spadina. I'd rather not rule alignments out of possibility because we placed the station in a spot that precludes them.

I'm actually fine with not extending it past University in Phase 1, because there's still a lot of discussion to have around where the line goes from there. Do you run it straight along Queen? Do you dip it south towards King? Do you veer north along Spadina to connect it to the Spadina Subway? Each of those options could require a different placement of the station at Spadina. I'd rather not rule alignments out of possibility because we placed the station in a spot that precludes them.
We're getting off topic here as city planning probably won't start planning the Relief Line Phase 3 (Southwest) until RLS has "shovels in the ground".

We're getting off topic here as city planning probably won't start planning the Relief Line Phase 3 (Southwest) until RLS has "shovels in the ground".

That is probably true, but I'm hoping that it'll be similar to the Confederation Line in Ottawa. Planning for Phase II got rolling right after Phase I started construction. Phase I will be open by November 2018, at which point Phase II will be shovel-ready. Get RL Ph1 shovel-ready, and as soon as it's under construction, start talking about the western extension. Ideally, RLN should be concurrent with RLS, but RLW will likely come after.

The question of whether or not to extend to Spadina greatly depends on where the line ends up going west of Spadina. While I agree with the utility of extending Phase I to Spadina, I'm just saying that we should hold off on making that request until we're prepared to talk about where it's going beyond Spadina.

That is probably true, but I'm hoping that it'll be similar to the Confederation Line in Ottawa. Planning for Phase II got rolling right after Phase I started construction. Phase I will be open by November 2018, at which point Phase II will be shovel-ready. Get RL Ph1 shovel-ready, and as soon as it's under construction, start talking about the western extension. Ideally, RLN should be concurrent with RLS, but RLW will likely come after.

The question of whether or not to extend to Spadina greatly depends on where the line ends up going west of Spadina. While I agree with the utility of extending Phase I to Spadina, I'm just saying that we should hold off on making that request until we're prepared to talk about where it's going beyond Spadina.

I've seen some of your concepts include this but I've always liked the idea of RL West dipping south to King after Spadina then travelling north on Dufferin until Eglinton. This would hit the proposed Liberty Village RER station but also provides a N-S route as relief for future capacity constraints on the University-Spadina line. North of Eglinton, perhaps the new tunnel could be merged with the Barrie GO line in a similar fashion to what is being proposed with RL North and RH GO.

I meant Dundas West or whatever the plan was..
There are plans go west of University, to Dundas West/Keele, north of Bloor, to Eglinton, but of course they won't be constructed or even conceptually planned for a long time (10+ years).

I've seen some of your concepts include this but I've always liked the idea of RL West dipping south to King after Spadina then travelling north on Dufferin until Eglinton. This would hit the proposed Liberty Village RER station but also provides a N-S route as relief for future capacity constraints on the University-Spadina line. North of Eglinton, perhaps the new tunnel could be merged with the Barrie GO line in a similar fashion to what is being proposed with RL North and RH GO.

There are certainly many good options for heading west from Spadina. But I think Liberty Village will be quite well served with a combination of a GO RER/SmartTrack station and some kind of ROW along King. GO RER will shave off enough of the express trip patterns that the ROW can effectively service the local trip patterns. I'm not saying that a subway to Liberty Village wouldn't be a good idea, I just don't think it's the best option of what's available.

IMO it's of far greater utility to turn the RL north at Spadina and connect it with the Spadina Subway. That would put the wye back into play and allow B-D trains to head downtown, potentially negating the need for a billion dollar expansion of Bloor-Yonge.

As for re-routing the Barrie Line into it, I don't think that's in the cards given how much Metrolinx is spending on the Davenport Grade Separation. They didn't go through such fierce negotiations just to bypass that segment completely. Also, unlike the RH Line, the southern end of the Barrie Line still has utility as far as inner-Toronto trip patterns are concerned.

I've always liked the idea of RL West dipping south to King after Spadina then travelling north on Dufferin until Eglinton. This would hit the proposed Liberty Village RER station but also provides a N-S route as relief for future capacity constraints on the University-Spadina line.
I think a route along Dufferin would make a lot of sense given the massive development plans at Dufferin & King, Dufferin & Bloor, and especially Dufferin & Dupont (Galleria Mall).
Going to Dundas West would seem like an unnecessary duplication of the RER/Smart Track route from Bloor GO station.

Back