Right now that seems to be the biggest complaint from residents, that Exhibition is too far south and King Street is closer. Anecdotal opinion to be fair.

Let's see what happens.
King is getting a GO station too and an RER one to boot. Plus, it is built for a potential UPX stop as well. Oh, and the 504 King (transitway) too which could be extended west of Bathurst to LV as well. To the south, you have Exhibition GO/RER/Line 3 (OL), plus the 509 Harbourfront, the 511 Bathurst and the 29 Dufferin too.

I feel like i recall that the bridge crossing the don valley was going to be enclosed? i recall seeing a design for this somewhere?

1643216385008.png

I always wondered how bad the noise was that they agreed to cover up the open skylights when local residents complained.

I always wondered how bad the noise was that they agreed to cover up the open skylights when local residents complained.
Contrary to what Walter likes to repetitively type, it wasn't due to noise that they covered the holes.

It was done as part of the upgrading of the ventilation systems at Castle Frank Station and that section of the line.

Dan

Contrary to what Walter likes to repetitively type, it wasn't due to noise that they covered the holes.

It was done as part of the upgrading of the ventilation systems at Castle Frank Station and that section of the line.

Dan
So they close ventilation holes to upgrade the ventilation? Must be the noise from the fans at Castle Frank Station? o_O

I feel like i recall that the bridge crossing the don valley was going to be enclosed? i recall seeing a design for this somewhere?

View attachment 376860
This is ridiculous. So let's say we built this with an at grade tube. What about the noise generated by GO Expansion trains? Are we supposed to build a giant noise proof casing around all 6 tracks? And if so, does that mean that anyone who lives along a GO Corridor now have the justification to request a massive noise cancelling dome around the GO corridors travelling next to them?

Second, didn't a lot of residents complain about the Ontario Line being "too unsightly"? Last I checked a massive metal dome right behind your backyard and beside your park is a lot worse than some tracks and wires.

I don't get what the residents are trying to get out of this, this is like trying to grasp for any W that makes them feel like they "saved their neighbourhood" despite not actually accomplishing anything.

From 2018, from link.

World’s first fully enclosed noise barrier for high-speed trains arriving soon

FOREIGN201805121447000482373973552.jpg

The world’s first fully enclosed noise barrier for high-speed trains, built on a section of the Shen-zhen-Maoming Railway in Guangdong, is to come into service soon, China News reported on May 10.

The barrier, which is 2 kilometers long and cost 187 million yuan ($28.4 million) in investment, is just 800 meters from Birds’ Paradise, China’s biggest natural bird park housing more than 30,000 herons.

It was built to protect the natural ecology of the scenic spot, as it is able to reduce stress caused to birds through noise, vibration and light when the high-speed trains speed past, according to the China Railway Guangzhou Group Co., Ltd.

The project manager stated that the design and construction of the barrier fills in a world gap in research of sound insulation and noise reduction of high-speed trains.

This is ridiculous. So let's say we built this with an at grade tube. What about the noise generated by GO Expansion trains? Are we supposed to build a giant noise proof casing around all 6 tracks? And if so, does that mean that anyone who lives along a GO Corridor now have the justification to request a massive noise cancelling dome around the GO corridors travelling next to them?

Second, didn't a lot of residents complain about the Ontario Line being "too unsightly"? Last I checked a massive metal dome right behind your backyard and beside your park is a lot worse than some tracks and wires.

I don't get what the residents are trying to get out of this, this is like trying to grasp for any W that makes them feel like they "saved their neighbourhood" despite not actually accomplishing anything.
I agree with you, but it is unfair that the Rosedale folks got Line 2 covered in their neighborhood while the rest of Toronto suffers wherever the subways are exposed.

Rail Deck parks everywhere would also be awesome :p

I agree with you, but it is unfair that the Rosedale folks got Line 2 covered in their neighborhood while the rest of Toronto suffers wherever the subways are exposed.

Rail Deck parks everywhere would also be awesome :p
Dan literally said a few posts ago that it wasn't covered due to noise...

Why go to Vancouver for an example....here is a temporary bridge just down the road....and, yes, if it did not interfere with other infrastructure I would keep something like around to use when needed.

View attachment 376840

I had no idea this was temporary. Any idea when it's supposed to be taken down/replacement built?

unironically, yes. even the areas behind cityplace get noisy sometimes.
Hell why not cover every single rail line and put parks and greenspace ontop of them...costs aside of course.
noise is mitigated, people get more greenspace and some places become less cutoff like in liberty village

But ya the residents are definitely not putting a good faith effort to compromise, they keep moving the goalposts because they only want the line cancelled and nothing will convince them otherwise

Back