Ontario Line Science Centre Update

I apologize if this was already mentioned but was new information I found after speaking with CreateTO and various senior city officials.

Metrolinx is acquiring a portion of the western part of the @HousingNowTO at 805 Don Mills where the Ontario Line will travel over. For the lost space, Housing Now / CreateTO will purchase a small plot of land from the Church at Eglinton & Ferrand. This will allow Ferrand Drive to open up on Eglinton and to Gervais through a 4 way signal light. Furthermore, Ferrand Drive will be extended south pass Rochefort to St. Dennis Drive. This will create easier transit flow to the bus terminal and less gridlock in the area.

I suspect this information will be more detailed in the North Civil's RFQ which will be released in the Fall.

See pictures below:

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 7.03.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 7.05.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 7.25.51 PM.png

The Barrie Line isn't stopping at King-Liberty, so it's a choice between a station that serves one line and a station that serves a different line. Exhibition still makes more sense.
Can change in the later years. They can add, subtract, switch, or move the flow around.

Can change in the later years. They can add, subtract, switch, or move the flow around.
Not that easily. They're still only build the platforms on the Kitchener Line tracks, which means for the barrie line to access those platforms, they need to step over the Kitchener Line's trackspace, which goes against how Metrolinx is planning for GO.

There is one kinda obvious advantage....escalators need maintenance and sometimes break.....having them split allows that to be done in stages and allows for better passenger experience while the work is being done.

Can still break it up, by having six really long escalators side-by-side.

Now at its root does this stem from King's Cross fire / Trench Effect? Surely any issues with a long escalator can be solved with modern fire suppression and ventilation. Needs to be an exemption.

Ontario Line Science Centre Update

I apologize if this was already mentioned but was new information I found after speaking with CreateTO and various senior city officials.

Metrolinx is acquiring a portion of the western part of the @HousingNowTO at 805 Don Mills where the Ontario Line will travel over. For the lost space, Housing Now / CreateTO will purchase a small plot of land from the Church at Eglinton & Ferrand. This will allow Ferrand Drive to open up on Eglinton and to Gervais through a 4 way signal light. Furthermore, Ferrand Drive will be extended south pass Rochefort to St. Dennis Drive. This will create easier transit flow to the bus terminal and less gridlock in the area.

I suspect this information will be more detailed in the North Civil's RFQ which will be released in the Fall.

See pictures below:

View attachment 378276View attachment 378277View attachment 378278
Did those images come from Toronto AIC - or somewhere else..? Thx!

Did those images come from Toronto AIC - or somewhere else..? Thx!

Yes came from Toronto AIC through the revised documents submitted to the city last week. The other comments about the Church land property came through a community consultation. The comments about the Ferrand Drive south extension came from the Rochefort redevelopment submission through AIC. The comments about the Ontario Line on the Housing Now Lands came from Metrolinx and backed up by your folks submission.

Yes came from Toronto AIC through the revised documents submitted to the city last week. The other comments about the Church land property came through a community consultation. The comments about the Ferrand Drive south extension came from the Rochefort redevelopment submission through AIC. The comments about the Ontario Line on the Housing Now Lands came from Metrolinx and backed up by your folks submission.
Thanks - need to look at the new stuff in AIC.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to the OL

*Knock on wood* I think the Ontario Line should be fine since it's using catenary technology rather than the Innovia technology that's used in Scarborough. Ottawa's frankenstein half-LRT half-metro made it through January's snowstorm without incident.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to the OL

The OL wont be built with gadgetbahn fantasy "wanna-be Maglev" technology like the SRT.

Who knew that pulling a motor apart and laying it out along the entire track would be susceptible to even the smallest amount of snow?

also remember that the streetcars worked "semi-fine" the only problem being traffic.

TTC line 1 had issues but only because they needed to run slowplowing trains around davisville and yorkdale parts of the lines.

The OL wont be built with gadgetbahn fantasy "wanna-be Maglev" technology like the SRT.

Who knew that pulling a motor apart and laying it out along the entire track would be susceptible to even the smallest amount of snow?

That's right - the clearance between the linear induction motor and the reaction rail is 11mm.
That's where the snow or ice build-up is a problem.

Last edited:
That's right - the clearance between the linear induction motor and the reaction rail is 11mm.
That's where the snow or ice build-up is a problem.

ive always wondered if the reaction rail was made vertical like they have on LIM rollercoasters, if that would have solved the problem.

It also would have potentially solved the issue of the train being lifted slightly off the tracks, requiring the need for a 4th rail (the lifting of the wheels off the track opened the closed circuit of the electrification ground through the tracks)

I could see issues with tolerances in turns and such though, theres a reason those reaction rails on rollercoasters only exist on straight aways.

Last edited:

Back