Ontario Line referenced - article might be behind a paywall (you could try to paste the link into google incognito tab to view it). Key points:

Repairs to a crumbling section of the Gardiner Expressway between Dufferin Street and Strachan Avenue have been delayed until summer 2023 at the earliest. It will bump shoulders with construction of the Ontario Line.

“This project is very complex as the work zone and construction timelines intersects with Metrolinx’s work zone for the Ontario Line,” said the city in an email to the Star. “The city is working together with multiples partners including Metrolinx to co-ordinate this work.”

In addition, Boyle listed upcoming work on the Dufferin Street bridges, TTC streetcar extensions and a construction of a performance venue and hotel.

“And if that wasn’t enough, you’ve also got FIFA 2026,” he said. “It’s challenging enough with road closures from everything else, let alone what this is going to mean for us.”

According to the city, construction next summer will have “significant impacts on drivers.” Two lanes of traffic in each direction will be maintained for the duration of the project, the city said, with limited additional lane closures.

While Exhibition Station’s TTC streetcar loop will be affected by construction, requiring replacement buses, the GO train will be protected and see uninterrupted use, the city confirmed. However, Exhibition Place storage and parking areas under the Gardiner will be unusable during construction.

I don't even remember when did the TTC operated the entire streetcar network with physical streetcars on their regular routings without detours. It must be a decade ago and doesn't look like they can in the next decade.

OL will keep the 501 on diversion and 509/511 from reaching the EX. Next CNE will be a disaster.

HUGE day, Rolling Stock and South Construction Contracts preferred proponents which most notably include Hitachi and the companies that worked with them to build Metro in Copenhagen and Rome

1663190662281.png

The trains from Hitachi used on Line C in Rome have Overhead Line power and seem like a reasonable expectation for the OL, though there will likely be at least some visual changes!

HUGE day, Rolling Stock and South Construction Contracts preferred proponents which most notably include Hitachi and the companies that worked with them to build Metro in Copenhagen and Rome

View attachment 426986
The trains from Hitachi used on Line C in Rome have Overhead Line power and seem like a reasonable expectation for the OL, though there will likely be at least some visual changes!
This will be interesting. Hitachi has North American exposure providing vehicles in the states so hopefully the plants have no worked out production bugs if we are sourcing off-the shelf or similar units.

As for Bombardier/Alstom, I was originally fearful this might lead to plant closure but with the TTCs 60 streetcar order, GO BiLevel refurbs and and presumably GO Electric locomotive order for RER, it will keep the Canadian plants busy.

And once the TTC's Line 2 vehicle replacement ratchets up in a few years, I suspect we might see Alstom awarded a contract for new subway trains given their experience working with Toronto's unique vehicle standards. Good time to be an urban rail manufacturer!

This will be interesting. Hitachi has North American exposure providing vehicles in the states so hopefully the plants have no worked out production bugs if we are sourcing off-the shelf or similar units.

As for Bombardier/Alstom, I was originally fearful this might lead to plant closure but with the TTCs 60 streetcar order, GO BiLevel refurbs and and presumably GO Electric locomotive order for RER, it will keep the Canadian plants busy.

And once the TTC's Line 2 vehicle replacement ratchets up in a few years, I suspect we might see Alstom awarded a contract for new subway trains given their experience working with Toronto's unique vehicle standards. Good time to be an urban rail manufacturer!
Pretty sure they are not manufactured in NA and these won't be either - just like REM and Canada Line

so not sure if hitachi can or would change the design of an "off the shelf car" but only 2 of their train models support 1500v catenary, Rome Line C and Lima Line 2
all others run 3rd rail
if you go their site, the "honolulu" train design wouldnt be used then

so not sure if hitachi can or would change the design of an "off the shelf car" but only 2 of their train models support 1500v catenary, Rome Line C and Lima Line 2
all others run 3rd rail
if you go their site, the "honolulu" train design wouldnt be used then
Trains are relatively custom, should be fine

I wouldn't be surprised if the TTC orders more TRs (or slightly updated versions) to replace the T1s (or orders new trains for Yonge and cascades the TRs onto Bloor), seeing how the TRs have been the TTC's most reliable subway stock.

Didn't the TRs have a ton of problems in their first few years? I think I even remember hearing them referred to as lemons. When did they end up improving them?

Reactions: JBR
Didn't the TRs have a ton of problems in their first few years? I think I even remember hearing them referred to as lemons. When did they end up improving them?

There were serious teething problems with the doors, which opened very slowly. But that was fixed, so not a concern.

- Paul

The doors are still slow. TRs will still sometimes sit for several seconds after pulling into the station waiting for...something...to happen so the doors unlatch. I've never experienced that with the T1s. Also the TRs accelerate more slowly than the T1s.

View attachment 426986

so this would put the Ontario Line's max capacity at roughly 20k pphpd ?

There were serious teething problems with the doors, which opened very slowly. But that was fixed, so not a concern.

- Paul
I didn't know it was only the doors that were an issue, seems slightly over the top to refer to them as lemons if it was only the doors that caused problems.

How do the TRs compare to the H2 and H4? Out of everything pre-TR, I've been told those were the most reliable stock. They were basically identical to the H1, but came long enough after that the problems they'd had (mostly with traction motors, if memory serves) had been solved. There were some Greenwood yard personnel at an open house in 2009 who said that even then, 34 years after the H4s had entered service, they had very few problems with them, they just ran and ran and ran. Which I suppose makes them logical choices for work cars.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TTC orders more TRs (or slightly updated versions) to replace the T1s (or orders new trains for Yonge and cascades the TRs onto Bloor), seeing how the TRs have been the TTC's most reliable subway stock.
Man am I going to miss the T1s. The closest thing we still have to all the Hawker Siddeleys.

Back