Also, without the line serving East York / Don Mills (as it runs much further east), isn't any "relief" of the #1 line not great enough to significantly relieve Yonge-Bloor and stations between Eglinton and Union?

John Tory has released his DRL map...

This is a hybrid plan that would mostly use existing rail corridors and run through the already at-capacity Union. It's also obviously designed to appease Etobicoke and Scarborough. Granted, it's not completely non-sensical, but also isn't the DRL many of us envisioned. I'd also suggest that no stops between Liberty Village and Bloor is a bit insane. In fact, I'd suggest about four more stops are needed between Main and Dundas West.

There's a lot of unknowns here too and the comparison to London is a bit strange, especially considering the London Overground used abandoned and underused rail corridors, not some of the busiest on the continent. Moreover, the DRL will run surface-style along Eglinton West (is the Richview Corridor even large enough for heavy rail?).
I sat there for some minutes looking at this proposed map/plan, and I just kept thinking to myself... "How is this even remotely feasible... how?"

Good god, I sincerely hope what Jonny said about 95% of people isn't true and that they're smart enough to see through this. (I know, it pretty much is true... but again, a guy can hope, can't he?)

Can we have a moratorium on politicians planning any new transit lines?

Where do these people come up with this stuff?

The Eglinton West portion of the line would hardly be used..

This line doesn't serve downtown and won't relieve the streetcar networks.

And why is the connection to 2BD all the way at Main Station? Further west would provide greater relief value, as well as make a future Don Mills subway possible. There wouldn't be any less service in the east if he did this since there'd still be 15 minute all day GO service there.

When I see the jokes in the transit planning I really doubt the effectiveness of the political system....we live in a world of propose-debate-kill-back on track-debate-kill again-other parts of the regions start to do the same-etc-etc...yet nothing was built, only time and money wasted.

Olivia Chow is now in an obvious spot to take-up the mantra here. Not sure if she will, but she's been super-quick to criticize at least...

[video=youtube;qwmodtNBw7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmodtNBw7M&[/video]

Well it's just taken me 30 minutes to realize that Hudak's East-West Express and Tory's SmartTrack are really one in the same. Now I get what is going on.

A very real possibility. Hadn't really occurred to me as well. Could also explain why Hudak wants to can GO electrification: he's counting on that money to build this instead. That'll be sure to piss off people in Durham, Peel, and Halton pretty effectively...

The Eglinton West portion of the line would hardly be used..

This line doesn't serve downtown and won't relieve the streetcar networks.

And why is the connection to 2BD all the way at Main Station? Further west would provide greater relief value, as well as make a future Don Mills subway possible. There wouldn't be any less service in the east if he did this since there'd still be 15 minute all day GO service there.

Well its bascially UPX in the city, so it's not like it relies on the subway ridership numbers.

I think I'd prefer the real DRL route, but on the other hand the fact that a tunnelled subway will take 10-15 years in the best case honestly makes me feel like it's indefinitely in the future, and makes me not want to care.

The thing I like about the GO RER plans and this plan is that it could possibly be done in less than 10 years, or some lines and improvements even less than 5 years.

The number of years until completion matters a lot to me. I know some will say that long term & future generations is what matters, but I can't bring myself to care about things in 10-15 years later as much. If something can happen in 7 years instead of 15 that's a huge advantage to me since that's 8 more years of my life that I can actually use the transit line.

It also seems like the need is there in our city to do things sooner rather than in 10-15 years or beyond.

So this would be similar to people transfering from existing TTC/Go interchange stations, only with this plan they wouldn't have to pay the additional fare.

If you could add in a platform at Gerrard and Queen in the east end, then King/Queen/College in the west end, it may just be crazy enough to work

Also, without the line serving East York / Don Mills (as it runs much further east), isn't any "relief" of the #1 line not great enough to significantly relieve Yonge-Bloor and stations between Eglinton and Union?
In the recent studies, almost all the traffic on the DRL was boarding at Pape, not coming from further north.

The question is would you get enough transfers at Kennedy and Main Street to provide relief. Though the other challenge, is that puts people south of Esplanade, as opposed to where most of the people are going. The busiest station between Union and Bloor is Dundas. This does not help people get to Dundas, given how much walking would be necessary to change to Line 1. It doesn't help them get to Queen either, which is also very busy.

There's clearly very little though about this though. A station at Queen and another at the Unilever site? It's only about 500 metres from Queen to the Unilever site. With the current 320 metre long GO platforms, you could serve both stations with one very long platform!

And extending it to the business park near the airport ... but not TO the airport?

Back