interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Database file coming soon, but in the meantime, here is the first rendering:

11_Future Ontario Line Pape Station entrance on the north side of Danforth Ave, east of Pape Ave.jpg

I'm very baffled by this one. Why not just put it in one of the buildings at the corner of Pape? Really destroying the gorgeous historical streetscape. Why does this require such a behemoth chunk of the city? It's as big as suburban GO Station. Also what is with the material choice for the outside? That wood sticks out in a bad way and is going to need constant upkeep, anything else would have been a better choice. I'm really pissed off about this one. The Scotiabank on the corner would have been an obvious and ideal location.

1648416781221.png

Last edited:
I'm very baffled by this one. Why not just put it in one of the buildings at the corner of Pape? Really destroying the gorgeous historical streetscape. Why does this require such a behemoth chunk of the city? It's as big as suburban GO Station. Also what is with the material choice for the outside? That wood sticks out in a bad way and is going to need constant upkeep, anything else would have been a better choice. I'm really pissed off about this one. The Scotiabank on the corner would have been an obvious and ideal location.

View attachment 388169
The reason they are putting it where they are is that the station box is underneath where they'll be removing that building, not underneath Pape itself. Here's the neighbourhood context map:

olta_north_segment_maps_mx_engage_pape_20220203_final.png

Meanwhile, no way that'll be wood. Plus, here's hoping this is designed for a building to rise above it.

The reason they are putting it where they are is that the station box is underneath where they'll be removing that building, not underneath Pape itself.
Meanwhile, no way that'll be wood. Plus, here's hoping this is designed for a building to rise above it.

So? The underground station building could be right there and there could very easily be a diagonal walking tunnel to the corner where an entrance is, it's a shorter distance than to the other station. Could they not build the station box without having to cut and cover? We have stations with long walking tunnels on University Avenue. Why would we want 2 subway entrances both on the Northeast corner?

So? The underground station building could be right there and there could very easily be a diagonal walking tunnel to the corner where an entrance is, it's a shorter distance than to the other station. Could they not build the station box without having to cut and cover? We have stations with long walking tunnels on University Avenue. Why would we want 2 subway entrances both on the Northeast corner?
To be fair, I wouldn't say "long walking tunnels" are generally a desirable aspect of any transit station. But yeah, ideally this could be designed to occupy way less less street frontage along Danforth.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. This would be as baffling as some of the ECLRT station decisions. If the London Underground can incorporate station entrances while maintaining good unbroken retail stretches in the 1800s we can in the 2020s.

The most important aspect about this station is how the transfers between Line 2 and OL are dealt with. While ensuring that the station can support additional above and that there's an entrance on Danforth are important elements, these take a back seat to the transfer between lines IMO. The whole point of the OL/Relief Line is to intercept riders going downtown before getting to Yonge/Line 1. Obviously not all riders will transfer lines at Pape, but many will whether they are going to Union, East Harbour or anywhere else along the OL.

Seems like it takes away too much from the existing retail streetscape. If they could build tall rental above and have more retail at ground floor it’d be better for the neighbourhood.

I just find the GIANT setback offensive. The basic functionality of the street is wonderful and lively. Having a random inset will disrupt the streetwall in negative ways. If the buildings beside it were designed with a plaza in mind it would maybe work, but this isn't great compared to the other stations. They'd be better off having the "setback" take place inside the eventual station if they think they need the room.

Back