And slightly on that note, the TTC logo should be updated since it's horrible. I know it won't happen, but I can dream okay?
Anytime anyone tries to redesign the TTC logo, it always comes out looking terrible.

1648672853537.png

1648672872904.png

1648672940292.png

Maybe it's because I'm a graphic designer, and I care more about these things than the average person, but I suspect a lot of people like it simply because it's old and it's all they've ever known the TTC logo to be. My own personal taste doesn't exactly favour a kitschy early 20th-century logo that is essentially a haphazardly placed trio of letters stacked on top of each other on a shield insignia, but again what do I know?

I should reiterate that creating a wayfinding sign specifically for rapid transit stations is a completely separate issue from changing the TTC logo. Most cities identify their metro with a simple sign, often something as simple as a big M or T. They don't use the corporate logo of the agency that runs the system.
metro-logos.jpg

https://kottke.org/19/10/metro-logos-of-the-world

We could create a sign like one of the above to identify subway stations while keeping the TTC logo the way it is. Metrolinx could have used their T for just that purpose but they muddied the waters by using it for bus stops.

We could create a sign like one of the above to identify subway stations while keeping the TTC logo the way it is. Metrolinx could have used their T for just that purpose but they muddied the waters by using it for bus stops.
I've always liked the way TfL does it with a recognizable symbol, colour-coded by mode:
1648820792149.png

However I think we've hit a "point of no return" whereby the current TTC logo is so universally recognized that changing it would cause more confusion than it's worth...

They did away with the "subway" word at the stations ages ago.

ttclogo.jpeg
From link.
I've always liked the way TfL does it with a recognizable symbol, colour-coded by mode:
View attachment 389331
However I think we've hit a "point of no return" whereby the current TTC logo is so universally recognized that changing it would cause more confusion than it's worth...

As @W. K. Lis pointed out, the TTC logo lends itself well to display the mode of transportation. Now I know a million people have redesigned the TTC logo before, I only took 15 minutes to mock this up, and I made it without thinking about the context of transit outside Toronto (aka Metrolinx).

But if we really wanted to better discern the mode of transportation while keeping some aspect of the TTC logo we could simplify by removing the TTC type and one of the shields.

TTC Concept-2.png

Concepts.png

Last edited:
As @W. K. Lis pointed out, the TTC logo lends itself well to display the mode of transportation. Now I know a million people have redesigned the TTC logo before, I only took 15 minutes to mock this up, and I made it without thinking about the context of transit outside Toronto (aka Metrolinx).

But if we really wanted to better discern the mode of transportation while keeping some aspect of the TTC logo we could simplify by removing the TTC type and one of the shields.
The TTC (or Metrolinx) should hire you. No, seriously.

View attachment 389389

Likely? Don't know what else it would be.
I don't believe the TTC has signed the contract yet to be the operator, as they have with Line 5. But it's the likely outcome. For instance, the Hurontario Line won't be operated by MiWay.

I don't believe the TTC has signed the contract yet to be the operator, as they have with Line 5. But it's the likely outcome. For instance, the Hurontario Line won't be operated by MiWay.

But still, it's functionally still TTC. Putting up a logo of some faceless operating company would make no sense.

Back