There's a report going to the Exec Committee tomorrow about some of the TOCs

QSTOC.jpg

Looks like the Queen Conservation District will get thrown out the window for these developments. Ontario Wild Wild West Planning 101.
They (IO) say that they will respect the Queen Conservation District guidelines, and the development of the NE corner will minimize shadowing on Ogden P.S. and its playground. (Ogden P.S. is located just to the NE of the that site on Phoebe St.) We will see I guess...

There are still underused surface parking lots on Spadina N. of Queen, and many of the (non-historic) buildings on Queen W. of Spadina are in quite poor shape so the area could use some TLC generally. Hopefully the Ontario line and Queen/Spadina station bring some of that.

AmJ

They (IO) say that they will respect the Queen Conservation District guidelines, and the development of the NE corner will minimize shadowing on Ogden P.S. and its playground. (Ogden P.S. is located just to the NE of the that site on Phoebe St.) We will see I guess...

There are still underused surface parking lots on Spadina N. of Queen, and many of the (non-historic) buildings on Queen W. of Spadina are in quite poor shape so the area could use some TLC generally. Hopefully the Ontario line and Queen/Spadina station bring some of that.

AmJ
Dont hold your breath on it happening.

What are the plans for the CIBC building? I heard it through the grape vine that it will be a 70 story residential. Can anyone confirm this?

The concept proposal that was submitted by I.O. on behalf of the province back in 2021, looks like this:

1684324632742.png

Which certainly doesn't look like 70s.

But those were very preliminary, to say the least and we will almost certainly be getting a revision.

This is the province's page for this site, there are no updated concepts posted there yet: https://www.infrastructureontario.c...ch/queen-spadina--transit-oriented-community/

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the plans for the CIBC building? I heard it through the grape vine that it will be a 70 story residential. Can anyone confirm this?
Nope. Current TOC plans have it in the high teens / low 20s. But given DoFo's recent penchant for throwing all municipal process out the window when his friends are involved, who knows?

Nope. Current TOC plans have it in the high teens / low 20s. But given DoFo's recent penchant for throwing all municipal process out the window when his friends are involved, who knows?
I mean anything over 3 storeys is already throwing the City's planning policy out the window.. what's another 50 floors at that point? ;)

What are the plans for the CIBC building? I heard it through the grape vine that it will be a 70 story residential. Can anyone confirm thit?
The concept proposal that was submitted by I.O. on behalf of the province back in 2021, looks like this:

View attachment 477839

Which certainly doesn't look like 70s.

But those were very preliminary, to say the least and we will almost certainly be getting a revision.

This is the province's page for this site, there are no updated concepts posted there yet: https://www.infrastructureontario.c...ch/queen-spadina--transit-oriented-community/

I mean anything over 3 storeys is already throwing the City's planning policy out the window.. what's another 50 floors at that point? ;)

I highly doubt they will do anything above the 20's range. There has been a lot of reviews to keep Queen streets character along this stretch and any tower would really throw that out the window. especially on the south side of Queen. Most of the towers along Adelaide and Richmond have comments to not shadow Queen St. or minimal.

I am in favour of higher density around the transit stations but I can't see them doing a tall tower similar to the Pape proposals on Danforth in the east. I would also like to believe that they would be submitting soon on any sort of buildings at the stations as they will have to get permits and build them in time for the line to run. Drawings, permits, sales, construction would be about 4-5years. so maybe next year on a proposal?

Doug Ford is probably going to propose a new bill to mothball all Heritage Conservation Districts in this city knowing how petty and idiotic he is. He'll follow that up by mothballing all City of Toronto Secondary Plans, then Employment Land zoning will probably be next.

There's limit to his idiocy as long as his developer buddies and profiting en masse. Next thing you know we'll have 50+ story buildings built in every single corner of this city with no limit on where they would be built.

Back