So Science Station has island platforms, particularly being a terminal station.
Side platforms actually.

1615572762320.png

1615572992922.png

That’s what I meant to say, separated platforms where both trains are in the middle. Which doesn’t make any difference as long as it’s the terminal station.

And plus I thought side platforms werent being created anymore, since its more convenient to switch trains on centre platforms and the need for fewer elevators and escalators.

The most pain in the ass station to switch platforms is Dundas followed by Queen, and also a pain in the ass to get to the platform you need to get to depending on where you are in the street. And Bloor station could have been Spanishized without ever having to be shut down if it had centre platforms.

And plus I thought side platforms werent being created anymore, since its more convenient to switch trains on centre platforms and the need for fewer elevators and escalators.

The most pain in the ass station to switch platforms is Dundas followed by Queen, and also a pain in the ass to get to the platform you need to get to depending on where you are in the street. And Bloor station could have been Spanishized without ever having to be shut down if it had centre platforms.
That's not the reason why they're no longer doing side platforms. The reason why is because of cost. It is much cheaper to build island platforms when your tunnel is being dug twin bores, so you end up only having to build 1 elevator and one set of stairs to the platform rather than 2. The reason why Science Center and the other elevated stations are side platforms is because for elevated stations the opposite is true. When the tracks are on a guideway placed closely together, it is far easier to build side platform stations where you don't have to build extra supports just to separate the tracks to fit an island platform between them. As a result, Science Center, Exhibition, and the other elevated stations will be side platforms. As a counter example, its extremely likely that SSE will be built with a single large mega bore, so as a result we might see the SSE stations have side platforms since the tracks are already close together in the tunnels. Its all about cost, nothing more.

That's not the reason why they're no longer doing side platforms. The reason why is because of cost. It is much cheaper to build island platforms when your tunnel is being dug twin bores, so you end up only having to build 1 elevator and one set of stairs to the platform rather than 2. The reason why Science Center and the other elevated stations are side platforms is because for elevated stations the opposite is true. When the tracks are on a guideway placed closely together, it is far easier to build side platform stations where you don't have to build extra supports just to separate the tracks to fit an island platform between them. As a result, Science Center, Exhibition, and the other elevated stations will be side platforms. As a counter example, its extremely likely that SSE will be built with a single large mega bore, so as a result we might see the SSE stations have side platforms since the tracks are already close together in the tunnels. Its all about cost, nothing more.

Make it TWO elevators, in case one elevator is "out-of-service" for maintenance, there would still be on still "in-service". HOPEFULLY!

Make it TWO elevators, in case one elevator is "out-of-service" for maintenance, there would still be on still "in-service". HOPEFULLY!
I hope the Confederation Line in Ottawa having two elevators per platform sets a precedent for doing that in all systems going forward in Ontario. But on the other hand, this government loves cost cutting, and doesn't seem to have much regard for people with disabilities, so I could see them being like "two elevators is too expensive" (which is ridiculous given the amount of money we're spending overall here.)

I was planning to phrase it as "one set of elevators", but in concept its still the same. You have to make twice the stairs and elevators on side platforms.

Attachments

• 1615588178077.png
    1615588178077.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 196
If side platforms are being used at the terminal station, there's going to be a lot of confusion and frustration as riders would be going up the wrong set of stairs for the next train to be sitting on the opposite platform, or as the train departs the platform you're about to board and have to traverse to the other side unlike other traditional terminal stations (At least Keele and Woodbine had different platforms for trains going to different destinations when they originally opened).

If side platforms are being used at the terminal station, there's going to be a lot of confusion and frustration as riders would be going up the wrong set of stairs for the next train to be sitting on the opposite platform, or as the train departs the platform you're about to board and have to traverse to the other side unlike other traditional terminal stations (At least Keele and Woodbine had different platforms for trains going to different destinations when they originally opened).
You mean they are going to alternate which platform they are using? I would have thought they would drop passengers at northbound platform, proceed to a tail track and then pull into the southbound platform.

Ideally science center wont be the terminus forever, considering a future extension to Sheppard.

I'm worried about Science Centre Station on the Ontario Line, looks like an annoying connection as it's a bit far from Eglinton, it's actually on Wynford Drive. So from what I know, I'd have walk all the way to the south end of the platform, go down the stairs or exit the station entirely to enter the Line 5 bus terminal, go down again to the pedestrian tunnel, walk under Eglinton Avenue and a bit more to the LRT. That's a 4-minute walk for a connection. I don't like it, and it's ironic we are allowing this, but Scarborough's getting an entire subway extension because of a bad connection.

I actually think the Ontario Line be tunnelled here, this would've made more sense to tunnelled than the other places that people were NIMBYING about. It allows a better connection for riders, and it increases development potential.

And if you say that this connection is fine, it just isn't. This is one of the important stations on the line as it's the terminus, an interchange, numerous buses, and we are half-assing it. So why can't we do it right the first time??
Its not at Wynford though?

Its located on the top right corner of the intersection directly on top of the bus terminal...

Back