Agreed. ICTS was considered technically problematic, with any commitment to that technology to be deferred until after Scarborough RT opened and proved itself. ICTS based possibilities didn't get past the "wouldn't it be neat" stage.

ICTS was explicitly rejected for Sheppard and Eglinton lines (same group of projects) due to questionable reliability. The DRL in Network 2011 wasn't really designed far enough to force a decision. GO ALRT, also ICTS in the same time period, got further along than that potential DRL design.
something people forget about the scarborough RT is it was one of 2 known rt lines that toronto wanted to build

Etobicoke RT which alongside scarborough RT was supposed to be the LRV streetcars (the reason behind the big loop at kennedy

The DRL In the Network 2011 plan was Skytrain technology and was planned to run along the rail corridor with an elevated station directly in front of Union Station, from what I recall. Probably for the best it didn't happen.

I don't recall Skytrain technology nor an elevated Union Station stop being part of the plans.

Do you have a source for this?

I don't recall Skytrain technology nor an elevated Union Station stop being part of the plans.

Do you have a source for this?
1654574936970.png

Enjoy

As a bonus I have to issue a correction, the plan post ICTS was to have an underground station at Union, however the approach to Union would be made above ground along the USRC.

Enjoy

As a bonus I have to issue a correction, the plan post ICTS was to have an underground station at Union, however the approach to Union would be made above ground along the USRC.

Again the preferred route was underground Front-Wellington, and underground up Pape.

Reactions: syn
Some Thorncliffe community members sent this by email:

Dear Friends,

Please see attached for our latest publication.

It is disappointing that Thorncliffe Park is subjected to such lack of action.

Over the past week, the City of Toronto has rezoned the Thorncliffe Park lands to heavy industrial and regurgitate Metrolinx opinions as fact.

When does it ever make sense to replace the heart of a community with a large industrial train yard? Does it only make sense to do so when better suited lands in Leaside are sold to wealthy US private equity firms? Does it only make sense when 97% plus of the community are poor renters?

Please connect with your local councillor and ask them to not turn a blind eye to Thorncliffe Park. Find your councillors email address here: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/council/members-of-council/
They didn't include in their email a link to the agenda item they are refencing. The City has not "rezoned" the lands....yet. Planning and Housing Committee adopted the staff recommendations with some amendments for amendments to Zoning By-laws 438-86 and 569-2013 but they are not in force and effect yet because Council hasn't adopted them. They will be on the Council agenda on June 15th.

Some Thorncliffe community members sent this by email:

They didn't include in their email a link to the agenda item they are refencing. The City has not "rezoned" the lands....yet. Planning and Housing Committee adopted the staff recommendations with some amendments for amendments to Zoning By-laws 438-86 and 569-2013 but they are not in force and effect yet because Council hasn't adopted them. They will be on the Council agenda on June 15th.

Save TPark? I don't know, the blog post says a person named Ilyas Lulat made a deputation to the committee. But Ilyas Lulat isn't on the speakers or communications list for the committee...and Ilyas doesn't speak on the youtube recording.

So what gives? There's no record of a deputation. Are they lying?

You literally replied to my message saying it would be underground at union, and I never mentioned anything about Pape...

I don't know exactly what you're trying to clarify here.

You're showing a train crossing USRC as "the plan". I'm saying the preferred route was Front

You're showing a train crossing USRC as "the plan". I'm saying the preferred route was Front

He's not wrong.

Like many others, there were many plans. One version had it coming along the USRC. Another had it along Front. I think there was even one to put it under The Esplanade, although I think that was really more pipe-dream than reality.

Dan

He's not wrong.

Like many others, there were many plans. One version had it coming along the USRC. Another had it along Front. I think there was even one to put it under The Esplanade, although I think that was really more pipe-dream than reality.

Dan

I'm going on the report those graphics are from. It was effectively the final "DRL" report as far as I'm aware. It was down to the two options, USRC and Front underground - the latter being the preferred.

More Ontario Line early works will cause the demolition of the CP Leaside Station. In its post-war heyday, the station was quite striking. But in its final years as an office for CP Communication and CP Police, it was renovated beyond recognition.

View attachment 404621

That's too bad. A bit ironic too. But I guess even if VIA's higher speed rail plan comes to fruition, this won't be the spot of a future East Toronto station.

A couple of comments on a post over at @Steve Munro 's website are worth bringing over.

First let me link to Steve's post so people can look for themselves:

Now for the comments of interest: (comments are being moved in their entirely w/the user name associated to them as well for credit)

1655757289070.png

The tender mentioned above is live now on Merx:

1655757403514.png

1655757432200.png

Link: https://www.metrolinx.merx.com/public/solicitations/2229750971/abstract

Second comment of interest:

1655757485379.png

Design Competition Launches for Ontario Line Joint Corridor

June 24, 2022

Metrolinx has launched a design competition to encourage teams to submit innovative urban design and landscape architecture solutions for the Ontario Line infrastructure that will be built around the existing rail corridor extending from Eastern Avenue to Gerrard Street in Toronto. Submissions to the first stage of the two-stage process, including team compositions and a sample of past projects, are due July 7. From the responses that are received, up to four teams will be selected to participate in the design competition.

The competition is a unique, first-of-its-kind collaboration between the communities surrounding the corridor and Metrolinx, combining the vision and goals from community groups and local BIAs with Metrolinx’s objectives for the rail expansion.

The objective of the competition is to solicit creative design solutions, responding to the challenge of integrating new transit infrastructure into established neighbourhoods. The site of the competition runs along both sides of a two-kilometer stretch of rail corridor which will accommodate both the new Ontario Line and the expansion of GO Transit (a regional express rail system). These boundary conditions could be a point of friction between the transit infrastructure and the adjacent urban context. Metrolinx is soliciting proposals that use design excellence principles to transform these interfaces into a unique urban environment that enhances the adjacent neighbourhoods, commercial streets, and parklands.

The scope of the design competition includes the rail corridor to retaining walls, abutments, bridge underpasses, station plazas, aesthetic lighting, murals and other landscape items within four Community Zones identified along the Joint Corridor. The goal for the competition is to achieve an innovative, integrated, context-sensitive design solution that is implementable. Embedded within the proposals there should be a focus on ecological performance and biodiversity.

The Ontario Line and Competition Site

The Ontario Line is a planned 15.6 km, 15-stop rapid transit line in Toronto connecting Exhibition Place, through downtown, to the Ontario Science Centre. While fostering community growth and development, the delivery of the Ontario Line requires a unified integration of new architectural, civic and landscape components into the existing urban form. The design and construction of this alliances will establish an enhanced user experience within the existing public realm.

Ontario Line’s proposed Joint Corridor is the area of this design competition. The “Joint Corridor” title denotes the 2 km stretch where two rail expansion projects overlap – Ontario Line two tracks on the west side and an additional new GO rail track on the east side of the rail corridor. The Joint Corridor area for this competition will run above ground from north of Eastern Avenue to south of Pape Avenue.

The Riverside and Leslieville neighbourhoods have developed in close proximity to the historic GO Transit rail corridor. To accommodate the additional volume of the Ontario Line plus the GO Transit electrification expansion, the rail corridor will be raised, widened, and bridges will be replaced. It is these infrastructural changes that have opened up the opportunity for Metrolinx to run a design competition for the Joint Corridor.

The winning team from the competition will receive a $100,000 honorarium for their design concept, and the three shortlisted design teams will receive honorariums of $25,000. The winning design concepts will be translated into tender documents by the Ontario Line Technical Advisor, contracted to Metrolinx.

The nine-person jury includes two community members from the Lakeshore East Community Advisory Committee, a representative for the Riverside and Leslieville BIAs, four architecture, urban, and landscape design professionals, a City of Toronto representative, and a Metrolinx representative.

For more information about the competition, visit: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/...ntario-line-joint-corridor-design-competition

Back