Isn't it funny that that above was used to justify tunnelling under the central part of Eglinton, and then after they want to reduce to 3 total lanes anyway (not 4 as you suggest) .

But is it not 2 in each direction with sometimes one lane being used as parking when not rush hour.

But is it not 2 in each direction with sometimes one lane being used as parking when not rush hour.

That is exactly how it is. Even Danforth has 1 lane for parking and then 1 lane to drive on. So I do not see what the big deal is about Eglinton which has the same thing right now.

That is exactly how it is. Even Danforth has 1 lane for parking and then 1 lane to drive on. So I do not see what the big deal is about Eglinton which has the same thing right now.

Now if only they did the same with the arterial roads in the outer areas of the 416 and suburban 905. There is no parking at any time on those roads. Instead, they force the commercial property owners to build parking lots for their customers, which only leads to less public transit use.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...deas-trickle-into-toronto-mayoralty-campaign/

Ms. Chow has suggested it’s up to other levels of government to help pay for Toronto transit, which is the same as saying she has no idea at all. Every municipal politicians thinks other governments should fork over more money, and the result is that they all suffer the same disappointment when it doesn’t happen. Ontario’s Liberal government is even now trying to dream up ways to campaign for re-election on a pro-transit platform, with no more idea than Ms. Chow as to where the money’s to come from.

db10478e

Mr. Tory says he has a plan to pay the bills, but won’t reveal it right now (perhaps to avoid Ms. Wynne trying to steal it). Of the four mayoral challengers, he and former TTC chair Karen Stintz have made construction of a relief line the highest priority. Ms. Stintz has proposed selling a big chunk of city-owned Toronto Hydro to help finance the first phase.

make-it-rain-guys.gif

Ms. Chow, in contrast, says the line is a big deal, but maybe not the biggest. In that she’s mistaken: the size of the expenditures required to solve the city’s transit nightmare are so formidable they require the full attention of whoever happens to be running the city. Anything less will only prolong a crisis that has already been prolonged by lack of leadership, absence of nerve, or a failure to appreciate just how debilitating a problem congestion has become.

1370.gif

that last one, the DRL is not the fix all end all magic bullet of transit in this city. there are many, many better ways to get improvements much faster and much cheaper while maintaining support for the long term DRL. If this journalist is suggesting that the fix for Toronto's transit woes is some vague line over a decade away, she's dead wrong. Thats what Chow is saying, that while the DRL is important, we can't just chant "DRL! DRL! DRL!" and hope that maybe in a decade our problems will disappear. There are other things that can be done to improve service such as improving crowding standards, introducing BRT lite with queue jump lanes, better crowding standards, accelerated station renovation programs, and the full funding of the TTC capital budget. These can all make vast, vast improvements to service without having to promise a subway a decade from now while doing nothing else, and that is what Chow is saying. Of course if it takes more than 5 words to explain, it is derided and thrown out as it isn't as easily understandable as "DRL! DRL! DRL!". Politicians too often get stuck on these "magic bullet" solutions that while nice, are not the be all end all and will not magically fix all of our problems. There are problems in the TTC far outside of Bloor-Yonge, but all of the other Mayoral candidates are ignoring those and saying "we need DRL!"

Last edited:
New DRL Idea: Dixon Road

Reading this forum, there are concerns about Eglinton West having low ridership, which is why it was not built. How about this: extending the DRL along Dixon Road to Pearson

dixon don mills.jpg

Dixon Road is a much denser corridor then Eglinton West and this subway would serve much more people and help revitalize a poorer area of the outer 416. Thoughts?

Note: Mods, please merge with the appropriate threads if this is redundant in anyway, thank you :)

Attachments

• dixon don mills.jpg
    dixon don mills.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 792
Reading this forum, there are concerns about Eglinton West having low ridership, which is why it was not built. How about this: extending the DRL along Dixon Road to Pearson

View attachment 25682

Dixon Road is a much denser corridor then Eglinton West and this subway would serve much more people and help revitalize a poorer area of the outer 416. Thoughts?

Note: Mods, please merge with the appropriate threads if this is redundant in anyway, thank you :)

I like the idea of serving Dixon Park. The area could certainly use a boost. But the biggest downside is that it misses the large employment district at Eglinton & Renforth, with a potential connection to the Mississauga Transitway. Working commuters are the most reliable riders, so I think that is a major missed opportunity in the plan you've presented. To me, creating a seamless connection to the corporate district south of the airport could be a key to boosting the western segment of Eglinton's ridership.

Last edited:

It looks a lot like the DRL-NOW plan.

In principle, this is reasonable; but contingent on building DRL East and then DRL West to Eglinton, which is at least 20 years away.

Meanwhile, the LRT extension to the airport can be completed shortly after the central section of Eglinton, if the funding is obtained.

In principle, this is reasonable; but contingent on building DRL East and then DRL West to Eglinton, which is at least 20 years away.

Meanwhile, the LRT extension to the airport can be completed shortly after the central section of Eglinton, if the funding is obtained.

My fear is that Eglinton West might never be built, although it is the least controversial transit project in the GTA.

My fear is that Eglinton West might never be built, although it is the least controversial transit project in the GTA.

Yes this is the same overall idea as in http://drlnow.com/googlemap.html.

What's closer to being done Eg west Phase 2 or a DRL all the way up to Dixon?

While neither is likely to happen soon I'd say Eg phase 2 is more likely to happen within our lifetimes.

DRL Phase 1 will take 10-15 years and will only go from Danforth to St Andrew. Next two phases are North to Eglinton and West to Bloor west. Then you have at least 2 more phases before DRL reaches Dixon Rd, so I'm not holding my breath for it.

Back