For literally the 10th time, it's going to Exhibition as confirmed in many places.
Different sources are showing different things. Some show a combined station with the GO. The recent Ontario Place documents show one station at Bathurst/King and the next station somewhere south of BMO Field - which could, barely, actually serve Ontario Place.

Ontario Place is pedestrian accessible from Exhibition, it's a ten minute walk.
It's a kilometre from the existing station - that would like be calling King subway station "Union". The current location has been seen as a barrier to success at Ontario Place for years - so that won't be called Ontario Place.

Doug Ford promised a station at Ontario Place. While it wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another lie, it's pretty clear from some of the documents that the thought was of station much further south.

Was Doug Ford lying?

Not necessarily lying, just telling "his truth" in a Ford way, in which actual facts in the real world are irrelevant. I think the whole idea of the routing of the Fordtario Line west of Spadina was extraanally downloaded more as a marketing stunt than a transportation solution. If you look in the Ontario Place materials, the route is shown as a bunch of straight lines with sharp angles at intersections and a terminus near the lakeshore such that there is no possibility of transferring to and from GO anywhere, or the streetcar network. It was clearly drawn by someone who knows nothing about subways.

Who would actually build this? No grown up engineer or politician is going to sign onto it. And who is going to trust the Government of Ontario to build this after the way they have behaved with the Six Million Dollar Man and the Beer Store? Not to forget the build-out of Q;ueen's Quay East - transit first, remember? Investors there are still waiting for the streetcar.

A station near GO Exhibition is the only sensible option. Ontario Place/Exhibition Place is one situation where an elevated system {a monorail even} is a good option. Not only would it move people from a transit hub to various points in the sprawling area, but it would be a fun ride with striking views of the city and lake, adding the pleasure of a visit. And a station there helps serve the south portion of Liberty Village.

Not necessarily lying, just telling "his truth" in a Ford way, in which actual facts in the real world are irrelevant. I think the whole idea of the routing of the Fordtario Line west of Spadina was extraanally downloaded more as a marketing stunt than a transportation solution. If you look in the Ontario Place materials, the route is shown as a bunch of straight lines with sharp angles at intersections and a terminus near the lakeshore such that there is no possibility of transferring to and from GO anywhere, or the streetcar network. It was clearly drawn by someone who knows nothing about subways.

Who would actually build this? No grown up engineer or politician is going to sign onto it. And who is going to trust the Government of Ontario to build this after the way they have behaved with the Six Million Dollar Man and the Beer Store? Not to forget the build-out of Q;ueen's Quay East - transit first, remember? Investors there are still waiting for the streetcar.

A station near GO Exhibition is the only sensible option. Ontario Place/Exhibition Place is one situation where an elevated system {a monorail even} is a good option. Not only would it move people from a transit hub to various points in the sprawling area, but it would be a fun ride with striking views of the city and lake, adding the pleasure of a visit. And a station there helps serve the south portion of Liberty Village.
I really don't think Ford has any contribution to drawing the line. ML drew it and sold Ford on the plan. The line looks to me like Exhibition is GO Relief Station West and West Harbour is GO Relief Station East. With ML taking over construction and possibility full operation, the line can be easily integrated to the GO network as well as serving as a Relief line.

ML won't invest in the QQ streetcar. it won't relief the GO network.

It makes a lot of sense to end the Ontario Line nearby Liberty Village, but doesn't make any sense to end it year round at Ontario Place. That's what others are trying to tell you. I think what makes most sense is end the Ontario Line somewhere right next to the Exhbition GO in the winter, then have Ontario Place part as an extension during the summer. Assuming it even gets built, which at this rate, who knows when

It makes a lot of sense to end the Ontario Line nearby Liberty Village, but doesn't make any sense to end it year round at Ontario Place. That's what others are trying to tell you. I think what makes most sense is end the Ontario Line somewhere right next to the Exhbition GO in the winter, then have Ontario Place part as an extension during the summer. Assuming it even gets built, which at this rate, who knows when
I'm not sure I understand. In summer, there are stations at Exhibition GO, and a different one at Ontario Place. Then in the winter, the $200M station is boarded up and not used until the following spring.
I imagine making Ontario Place a year round destination makes more sense.

if the line had gone west on king in the first place it could form a potential union relief station at liberty village and at sunnyside in the west

I really don't think Ford has any contribution to drawing the line. ML drew it and sold Ford on the plan. The line looks to me like Exhibition is GO Relief Station West and West Harbour is GO Relief Station East.
That's Metrolinx's thoughts ... sure. But that's not what is coming out of the party, with them pushing this plan that daylights over the lower Don River, and then goes down Bathurst with only stations at King and south of BMO Field (presumably elevated by then).

There's 3 competing plans floating around - and the lack of co-ordination between the TTC/City, Metrolinx, and government, aren't going to escalate this ahead of the planned 2029 opening.

if the line had gone west on king in the first place it could form a potential union relief station at liberty village and at sunnyside in the west

That could still happen. It's still unclear if there's any intermediaries between Bathurst and the Exhibition. A stop in the middle most definitely could interface directly with Liberty Village and a future phase west of Exhibition could hit Sunnyside too.

I wouldn't expect anything less. It's how our political culture works here. Big, flashy announcements, followed by years of inaction/debating/arguing/reviewing/revising/cancelling.
Though even the most hardened cynic would have to admit that promising to accelerate the project by two years while making the line about twice as long, combined with legislation that can ban the city/TTC from working on the project AND sweet fudge all actually happening is certainly a unique twist!

Over two months since the announcement, and...nothing.

I blame the downtown elites!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much movement on this for a while. Perhaps that's a good thing? This should be built with the highest capacity option available.

Take it with a grain of salt as it is from Cressy, but current state of work on the Ontario Line according to city staff:

@joe_cressy said:
City Staff have confirmed that Premier Ford’s so-called Ontario Line (aka. a crayon drawing on a map) is only at 2% design. Toronto’s long-planned Downtown Relief Line is already at 15% design. In other words, yet another transit map, & yet another delay in building transit

Last edited:
I see the PCPO government continuing the LPO’s tradition of treating transit building as some kind of state secret. Wonder what they’re hiding now

Take it with a grain of salt as it is from Cressy, but current state of work on the Ontario Line according to city staff:

calling a govt project regardless of political affiliation a crayon drawings just underlines how much credibility there is to this tweet. I would wait for an official report to be released before speculating.
2% could very well mean the extended portions of the line at which its reasonable at this time.

Back