The reason it's on Queen is because it's closer to the midway point between union station and Bloor.
Asher is correct about why the relief line was put on Queen and it was stated in the media many times. They wanted the stops at city hall even though in their own analysis King street was the best option for the relief line. I wrote the councillors about it at the time. King street is the appropriate route for the relief line and a Queen subway should be a separate line

Last edited:
The platforms will be built for 100m in either case, the only change that would have to be made is adding a 5th car which wouldn't be difficult.
If the platforms are still being built for 100 metres, why did the station boxes get smaller in all the drawings?

Surely it's an ultimate 80-metre length now. Which is another flaw in this plan.

As I said.
I see. I interpreted your statement as talking about initial and long-run capacity, not design capacity. From what I can tell, there's actually no plan to use 100m trains.
screen-shot-2021-12-04-at-18-57-46-png.367062

I'm still using the maximum design capacity since upgrading the system to 100m long trains would cost almost nothing
Not true. They're actually procuring fewer trainsets based on the shorter trains and lower tph. My understanding from reading the PDBC is that the first point at which they'll reevaluate and procure additional sets is 2041, and (obviously) the cost reduction is in the 100s of millions. That's partially how the total cost was reduced.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 18.57.46.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 18.57.46.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 658
So the queen station box is a smudge over 100m:

1638664080141.png

(possible metrolinx intended it to be 100m but made one of there famous typos)

Compare that to this pic of the actual station:

1638664207871.png

... that station box is supposedly 100m. You'll notice two dashed lines where the elevator shafts end on the Ontario ... these are likely denoting the platform ends. Using our knowledge that the station box is 100m ... we can do some meters to pixel math. That spits out a 55m platform length. So either Metrolinx really bad at producing scale documents or ... all that blank space is for potential platform extension and the line is starting out with a Canada Line-ish 55m platform length.

Attachments

• 1638663403904.png
    1638663403904.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 101
So the queen station box is a smudge over 100m:

View attachment 367064

(possible metrolinx intended it to be 100m but made one of there famous typos)

Compare that to this pic of the actual station:

View attachment 367065

... that station box is supposedly 100m. You'll notice two dashed lines where the elevator shafts end on the Ontario ... these are likely denoting the platform ends. Using our knowledge that the station box is 100m ... we can do some meters to pixel math. That spits out a 55m platform length. So either Metrolinx really bad at producing scale documents or ... all that blank space is for potential platform extension and the line is starting out with a Canada Line-ish 55m platform length.
The first image is not showing the station box but the length of the platform. If you compare with the actual buildings shown in the 2nd drawing above, the distance between the two dotted lines is indeed 100m. The station box is way more than 100m.

Does anyone know what that big blank square is for and possibly why they couldn't put the OL platform directly beneath the existing Line 1 station?

The first image is not showing the station box but the length of the platform. If you compare with the actual buildings shown in the 2nd drawing above, the distance between the two dotted lines is indeed 100m. The station box is way more than 100m.
Well I hope you are right, but I remember the infamous Canada Line platforms that are supposedly 40-metres long - expandable to 60 metres. But when push comes to shove, they aren't so expandable without huge construction projects!

Was Canada Line actually designed to be expanded at the outset? I feel like it was a London DLR type situation where things could be expanded (mostly), post hoc with cost and time. But otherwise not really planned to be.

I maintain OL should to be expanded for 140m even if built for 80-100m initially. I go a step further: use trains of ICTS-level narrowness but build for I dunno ~160m to compensate for the width loss. Narrowness is very useful.

Does anyone know what that big blank square is for and possibly why they couldn't put the OL platform directly beneath the existing Line 1 station?
ML went with deep tube tunnel instead of the shallow cut and cover tunnel. This allows them to dig one continuous tunnel from Exhibition to Distillery. Otherwise they'll need to have an excavation shaft on Queen somewhere and transition to cut and cover creating long stretches of multi year closure. This approach makes it easier to build and less road closures.

If the platforms are still being built for 100 metres, why did the station boxes get smaller in all the drawings?

Surely it's an ultimate 80-metre length now. Which is another flaw in this plan.
Did they? When has Metrolinx even released drawings showing detailed platform lengths? I’ve never seen any.

Maybe if the powers-that-be put the emphasis on providing thorough pubic transit priority instead of providing priority for single-occupant motor vehicles, it would be better. Provide "temporary" right-of-ways for the streetcars and buses through the construction or detours around them, it would be better. Having the transit vehicles compete with automobiles who ignore signs or sneak in front of buses or streetcars, should not be allowed. Maybe even ban the single-occupant private automobile maybe required around the construction zones.
To avoid adding to the congestion should (key word "should") the police, traffic constables, or whoever, should be able to take "photo" evidence (can we get an app for that) along with date, time, and GPS location of the offending vehicle, and pass that information to the police (or whoever). Then send a notice of infraction to the vehicle owner. Maybe even include a fine for that infraction (IE. driving on the transit right-of-way).

No need to pull over the offender. UNLESS the app shows that the offender is a repeat offender and it is a police officer who notices it.

Did they? When has Metrolinx even released drawings showing detailed platform lengths? I’ve never seen any.
Nothing detailed - but on each and every station "plan" they issues in the last round, the station box was noticeably smaller. It was far too consistent to be an error. Though I suppose it's not impossible that the previous round included the entire box, and the new round only included the platforms.

But if I were the media, etc., I'd be asking some tough questions.

Though I suppose it's not impossible that the previous round included the entire box, and the new round only included the platforms.
Someone should ask about platform lengths at the next live session. Changing the station boxes and platform lengths is in line with the change in the PDBC in only planning for 80m trains.

Back