I actually hope this happens. PC's only get a minority, causing the L's and NDP to form a coalition to govern.
I'd be very surprised if there's a coalition between any of the parties - other perhaps the PCs and NDP - though that's unlikely.

Sounds horrible, kiss your subway extensions goodbye, back to glorified Streetcars er I mean LRTs.
Three of the four projects will be committed by then. The only one that isn't, is the Yonge extension - which is the biggest no-brainer. I doubt much will change no matter who is elected, other than alignment/station tweaks.

The Star article captures how the general public views the gov't and sadly us political wonks and transit geeks could never be satiated by a Ford government. I think them getting re-elected is extremely likely, the most we can hope for is a minority.

Reactions: syn
I'd be very surprised if there's a coalition between any of the parties - other perhaps the PCs and NDP - though that's unlikely.

Three of the four projects will be committed by then. The only one that isn't, is the Yonge extension - which is the biggest no-brainer. I doubt much will change no matter who is elected, other than alignment/station tweaks.
were you not suggesting a coalition would be likely if the PCs got a minority? That would be required for the Liberals to form government in that point, a formally vote of support from the NDP, no? The Liberals can't just go in front of the lieutenant governor and ask to form government without the NDP giving the governor confidence that they would actually be able to govern.

were you not suggesting a coalition would be likely if the PCs got a minority? That would be required for the Liberals to form government in that point, a formally vote of support from the NDP, no? The Liberals can't just go in front of the lieutenant governor and ask to form government without the NDP giving the governor confidence that they would actually be able to govern.
A coalition isn't necessary and has never happened with a minority government, the closest would be the BC NDP Confidence and Supply Agreement with the Greens. Usually (as the federal government has been operating) the government will look for votes on non-confidence bills with parties that most align with their views.

By default, in the absence of any agreement, if the government falls, the LG would be very likely to simply appoint Del Duca as Premier - assuming it's just after the election. More likely there'd be an agreement to support (which isn't binding) from the NDP to the Liberals. But in 1985 the agreement was made weeks before the non-confidence vote, in an attempt to get Premier Miller to resign rather than reconvening the legislature.

But I can't see the Liberals forming a coalition with the NDP. I don't think it's ever happened before anywhere in Canada. In a coalition, there would be both NDP and Liberals in cabinet.

If there's to be a coalition, I'd think it would be more likely PC-NDP - if Ford is willing to offer the NDP seats in cabinet to stay in power, and the Liberals won't, I wouldn't be shocked if the NDP took it. Ford is a lot more pragmatic than Miller ever seemed.

But I expect the outcome - barring any surge in PC support - would be a Liberal minority government, with support from the NDP.

We are drifting off-topic though I'm not sure what the NDP's opinion is on the Ontario Line (or much of anything really). Though I don't think they vehemently oppose the concept in the same way they did historically.

I actually hope this happens. PC's only get a minority, causing the L's and NDP to form a coalition to govern.

It’s really hard to say right now. I feel like Liberal and NDP voters would rake their respective party leadership over the coals if they had the opportunity to defeat the OPC, and didn’t. Doug and the Ontario PCs really need to treat this election as majority-or-bust.

Party finances will play a role in the decision making. For example, if the Liberals feel that they’ll be in a strong financial position following the 2022 election, they might be willing to let the PCs govern for now, in hopes of defeating the government and running another election campaign when the best opportunity presents itself (ideally 18 to 24 months in the future). If the Liberals are in a weak financial position, they might opt to defeat the PCs now so they can govern with confidence votes supplied by the NDP.

Anyways if the PCs don’t win a majority of the seats, I predict we’ll see a Liberal government propped up by the NDP.
A coalition isn't necessary and has never happened with a minority government, the closest would be the BC NDP Confidence and Supply Agreement with the Greens. Usually (as the federal government has been operating) the government will look for votes on non-confidence bills with parties that most align with their views.
Yup. And a formal agreement wouldn’t even be necessary either. If the PCs didn’t have the votes to form government, the Liberals and NDP would probably prop up whichever of their two parties won more seats.

Hey folks, apologies if you already knew this but I just found out today. There is another thread discussing the OL North Extension. I notice several times we debate in this forum abt the extension but never knew there is a full dedicated forum for it. Enjoy!

What is a delivery partner, and how do they interact with the teams that are chosen for each of the OL contracts? Are they the overall project manager?
Seems to be the newspeak version of "buyer's engineer". Something that seems to have been avoided by many in recent decades, presumably to save money.

Of course they would choose Bechtel, one of the most controversial multinational corporations in the world. They make SNC-Lavalin look like saints.

The Ford government and Bechtel basically deserve each other. This is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Back