actually last i heard the ped crossing was actually removed from the bridge early works project. its going to be like the crosstown where upgrades to public spaces are delayed for years after completion
The pedestrian Bridge is confirmed. It is part of the east harbour station contact. Will be built along side the station.

I rode my bicycle over to check it out today and... wow. The amount of demolition happening at Parliament and Front for the Corktown Station is wild.

Like two and a quarter entire city blocks full of buildings are getting ripped down. Clearly they don't need that much space for just the station entrances, so I assume this is a massive staging area and then I suppose will be enormous condo towers when it's all done.

I assume we're at the beginning of like a decade of construction here?

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.16.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.27.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.28.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.29.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.31.53 AM.png

Last edited:
I
I rode my bicycle over to check it out today and... wow. The amount of demolition happening at Parliament and Front for the Corktown Station is wild.

Like two and a quarter entire city blocks full of buildings are getting ripped down. Clearly they don't need that much space for just the station entrances, so I assume this is a massive staging area and then I suppose will be enormous condo towers when it's all done.

I assume we're at the beginning of like a decade of construction here?

View attachment 395130View attachment 395145View attachment 395146View attachment 395147
View attachment 395152
I am interested to know about the staging of things after the tunnel boring machine is launched at this location.

Will Metrolinx need both parcels for the entire build of the OL for staging (meaning no development will happen until the late 2020s)? Or, once the TBM is launched, will space clear up for immediate development (likely on the northern parcel) outside of a smaller staging area?

I haven’t read anything on this in the materials I’ve seen on phasing, but I’m curious. The question may be premature until the successful bidders know their construction requirements.

It's going to be exciting to see two relatively MASSIVE new bridges being built across the Don Valley.

Curious if there are any designs yet? Wonder if they'll be concrete or steel?

These are going to be huge and high. Won't look great having to be right next to existing bridges, but so be it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 6.15.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 6.15.24 PM.png

^ I think I've seen renderings for the one between Minton Place and Thorncliffe. The rendering should be up on the Metrolinx Engage website for that portion of the line and maybe in one of the latest public presentations.

You might want to check some subway lines in Asia where they manage much higher capacity (double of Yonge's) with just two tracks.
Have you actually been on Line 1? I'm serious. It's pretty obvious the narrow disjointed egresses south of Bloor even at revamped stations will not allow the line to carry and maintain anything close to 60k pphpd. Why give a useless comparison?

It's going to be exciting to see two relatively MASSIVE new bridges being built across the Don Valley.

Curious if there are any designs yet? Wonder if they'll be concrete or steel?
Oh yeah these are probably the first high-level bridges this city has seen in a very long time. I'm very excited.

Will they reduce the traffic lanes to two lanes in each direction, so they can put in better cycling lanes and sidewalks, on the Leaside Bridge? Or will they add a cycling & pedestrian bridge to the Ontario Line bridge?

1650808123176.png

From link.

The Leaside Bridge originally was built with a future streetcar right-of-way, but they widen the road for extra traffic lanes instead.

TilikumCrossing.jpg

From link.

A MAX light rail train on the Tilikum Crossing bridge (Portland, Oregon), which opened on 15 September 2015. It carries light rail (Orange Line), streetcars (A and B Loops), pedestrians, bicyclists, and emergency vehicles; but no automobiles or trucks.

Sadly I expected them to be typical Ontario infrastructure, cheapest possible design, no regard for aesthetics, looking like they were imagined by the owner of a cement plant.
At least one of the renderings floating around reflect your (and my) cynicism. These bridges should be special places, but sometimes we act as if we can barely rub two pennies together.

Will they reduce the traffic lanes to two lanes in each direction, so they can put in better cycling lanes and sidewalks, on the Leaside Bridge? Or will they add a cycling & pedestrian bridge to the Ontario Line bridge?

View attachment 395358
From link.

The Leaside Bridge originally was built with a future streetcar right-of-way, but they widen the road for extra traffic lanes instead.

TilikumCrossing.jpg

From link.
they arent touching that bridge at all. would probably need to get the city to cut the 2 lanes down for more bike and walking space

Sadly I expected them to be typical Ontario infrastructure, cheapest possible design, no regard for aesthetics, looking like they were imagined by the owner of a cement plant.
Metrolinx is doing a more expensive bridge further south over the Don Valley, to be fair. I agree that this bridge was the better location to do something notable though.

Back