Stanley Barracks is the white rectangle surrounded by asphalt in the last map above.

2011_05_21_pcr-2189.jpg

Postcard of Parade at Stanley Barracks, 1910, from the Toronto Public Library’s Digital Collections.
From link/URL].

Stanley Barracks, Exhibition Park, 1960s. City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1257, Series 1057, Item 744.

Stanley Barracks from Hotel X. 2017
From [URL='https://roadstories.ca/hotel-x-toronto/hotel-x-toronto-stanley-barracks-to-be-a-large-pub-and-burger-joint/']link.

A little better.

Last edited:
Y'know, I had this *very* strange thought--as many of us know, Queen's Park is in dire need of renovations and upgrades. So imagine that Dougie decides it's no longer worth putting the taxpayer on the hook for Queen's Park's upkeep. And then...consider the inevitability(?) of Therme's failure, or even that its sponsors might decide to pull out before completion. So whaddaya have then? The Therme facility as a readymade, state-of-the-art new home for the Ontario Legislature!

Y'know, I had this *very* strange thought--as many of us know, Queen's Park is in dire need of renovations and upgrades. So imagine that Dougie decides it's no longer worth putting the taxpayer on the hook for Queen's Park's upkeep. And then...consider the inevitability(?) of Therme's failure, or even that its sponsors might decide to pull out before completion. So whaddaya have then? The Therme facility as a readymade, state-of-the-art new home for the Ontario Legislature!
Does Queen's Park currently have a bar or lounge for the MPPs or press gallery? Likely not the public gallery.

Value Added Attraction: Clown Pavilion... /sigh

An honest ad would look like this...

Ontario Government: We are rebuilding Ontario Place with a new private partnership so that we can fill up our coffers for the next provincial election. And maybe share some of the proceeds with our "friends". Plus we get a spar to treat our spouses to once in awhile...

Therme: Er...we're in this just to make money.

The Public: ???

...but those are probably not honest ads they've started running. /sigh

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1
@AlexBozikovic is out with a new column on the future of Ontario Place in which he focuses on the virtue of a park-forward vision and uses Brooklyn Bridge Park, in NYC as key exemplar.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-a-model-for-ontario-place-look-to-brooklyn/ (behind the paywall)

Key bits:

- Brooklyn Bridge Park is ~85 acres, a former working port in NYC it was transformed into a 90% public park, 10% land-leased to private interests (residential towers and hotel, plus shops) and the revenue from the latter cover 90% of the cost of park
operations.

- The park was designed by MMVA, who in Toronto would be known today for the lovely Corktown Common; and who are the landscape architects working on the naturalization of the Don River.

- MMVA it is suggested would be a great choice to lead similar work for OP. I'm inclined to agree.

(My take):

- The model is replicable as far as cost of operations as well, by incorporating any revenue from the amphitheater, the restaurants/shops (should they be reopened), by land leasing either of the OP surface parking lots sites, or perhaps some of the Ex grounds . That same model could also fund a more robust CNE and better management and utilization of those grounds.

Obviously a revitalized OP would be different in a host of ways than BBP, given that OP was not a port, and has the PODS, among other things....

But given BBP's example here, some of you might wish to have a look-see as to what is all about:

A few pics from the above:

1684943293776.png

1684943339889.png

1684943479526.png

Last edited:
As noted in BlogTO, ( https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/05/toronto-lost-access-ontario-place-construction-people-livid/ ) access to the site is now restricted.

I got this response to my complaint

As part of the redevelopment of Ontario Place, construction activities have started across the site, including repairs to the Cinesphere, pod complex, and bridges. Site servicing construction work has begun to upgrade the site’s critical infrastructure, such as sewage, water, electrical and gas services. This work requires heavy machinery and construction equipment, as well as trained personnel with proper safety gear.

Trillium Park, a portion of East Commons, Budweiser Stage and a portion of the parking lots will remain open this year, however Cinesphere and the marinas will be closed. The West Island will also be closed for public events but will continue to remain open for general pedestrian use throughout 2023. This would be for passive use such as walking, jogging, and biking.

We are making all efforts to minimize disruptions to public access during construction. However, as protecting public health and safety at Ontario Place is paramount, we will be closing areas of the site.

Regards,

Customer Service | Ontario Place Corporation

info@ontarioplace.com

Back