For new forum members, here's a demented(?) plan called Ontario Place Redux I did 7 years ago to revitalize (and retain) Ontario Place and add an entire floating village called Arcology Village that was intended in part to help keep OP a year-round destination. Smaller versions of such "floating neighbourhoods" have been built around the world.

The idea of birthing a neighbourhood around OP was somewhat inspired by Eb Zeidler's original masterplan for OP that included an infill neighbourhood called Harbour City.

* Not surprisingly, I received zero feedback from the city despite substantial media coverage. The City: “oh not this guy again” lol.

LARGE OVERVIEW RENDER:

http://www.upside-down.ca/OntarioPlace-Redux-masterplan.jpg

SUPPORTING WORDS (and pics) PDF

www.upside-down.ca/OntarioPlace-Redux-masterplan-email.pdf
It would be great if it were to screen a sequel to A Place to Stand, a Place to Grow for that film's 60th anniversary.

So you are suggesting that OP should be made all floaty like?

It would be interesting if Children's Village were to be rebuilt, albeit updated:

Ontario Place at one point had the largest air-supported mattress in the world.

It's time Ontario Place exceeds its own record.

Not just that, but Ontario Place can have a much larger water-filled jumping pad that would put the one in Monterey Bay Aquarium to shame:

Last edited:
It would be interesting if Children's Village were to be rebuilt, albeit updated:

Ontario Place at one point had the largest air-supported mattress in the world.

It's time Ontario Place exceeds its own record.

Not just that, but Ontario Place can have a much larger water-filled jumping pad that would put the one in Monterey Bay Aquarium to shame:

I really don't understand why it was ever removed in the first place. For pre-adolescent children, that place was heaven. It should absolutely be rebuilt, only even bigger and better than before.

I really don't understand why it was ever removed in the first place. For pre-adolescent children, that place was heaven. It should absolutely be rebuilt, only even bigger and better than before.

Right, and don't forget the red caboose that served those greasy fries you could eat at picnic tables up on the hill in behind overlooking the village, while the gulls swarmed you trying to get some!

(see I wasn't always about the fancy food) LOL

Last edited:
Ontario Place as it once looked: (the snackbar I reference above was #11 on the map)

1599839897396.png

1599839921013.png

There is a excellent example of a destination contemporary children's play park in Maggie Daley Park in Chicago (beside the more famous Millennium Park).

It came out because it was liability central. Remember the forest of hanging foam cylinders that you could run through, bouncing around like a maniac? I LOVED it. So did lawyers.

By that logic though, there really shouldn't be any playgrounds or parks. I think if they could rebuild such to increase safety and reduce liability (and still be fun for everyone!), lawyers maybe forced to look for something better to do with their time, IMO.

By that logic though, there really shouldn't be any playgrounds or parks. I think if they could rebuild such to increase safety and reduce liability (and still be fun for everyone!), lawyers maybe forced to look for something better to do with their time, IMO.
Playgrounds have been getting safer over the years, and at one point they got so safe that they weren't much fun for the kids, but one that I've seen go into the northwest corner of High Park this year (amongst others) is an indication that the need for fun can be balanced with safety. Children's Village was great fun, but some kids were injured on some of the equipment. Some of the climbing apparatus that was there, for example, can now be found in modified form in private adventure parks (there's one in Sauble Beach that I am familiar with for example) where you have to pay $$ to play/climb, sign a waiver, you get helmets and pads, and there are personnel there to make sure you don't get badly hurt. The challenges built into these things have to be balanced by precautions that keep the operators, (and that can include a provincial agency), from being sued out of existence.

It came out because it was liability central. Remember the forest of hanging foam cylinders that you could run through, bouncing around like a maniac? I LOVED it. So did lawyers.

Those were awesome! There was just something thrilling about knowing that at any moment you might get unexpectedly bashed in the face by one! Curse the stupid helicopter parents that selfishly ruined it for everyone else. Just bring these thrilling playgrounds back but get parents to sign a waiver in advance. Done.

A story here on the creation of Children's Village and the man behind it..............

It probably couldn't happen today, at least not that way.

To hell with it...........bring him back......he's 77, he can have one more hurrah yet!

Playgrounds have been getting safer over the years, and at one point they got so safe that they weren't much fun for the kids, but one that I've seen go into the northwest corner of High Park this year (amongst others) is an indication that the need for fun can be balanced with safety. Children's Village was great fun, but some kids were injured on some of the equipment. Some of the climbing apparatus that was there, for example, can now be found in modified form in private adventure parks (there's one in Sauble Beach that I am familiar with for example) where you have to pay $$ to play/climb, sign a waiver, you get helmets and pads, and there are personnel there to make sure you don't get badly hurt. The challenges built into these things have to be balanced by precautions that keep the operators, (and that can include a provincial agency), from being sued out of existence.

Getting folks to sign waivers would likely be the best idea as long as the operators can demonstrate their equipment is reasonably safe. If not, then they should be shut down, IMO.

That said, and in the end, you can't truly protect those who want to explore and test their wings. You can provide them the tools and knowledge that help keep them stay safe. It's just how life is in the end.

...more on topic though: I am entirely for bringing back Children's Village with the new safety requirements discussed. As well as replacing Molson's "Amphitheatre" or whatever they call it now, with the original open air stage they had and with no references to beer brands. Thnkx in advance, Doug!

Last edited:

Back