Member Bio
Reaction score

Ontario Place has historically been a publicly accessible destination for recreation, entertainment, and leisure. Therme Canada | Ontario Place will carry on and improve traditions of public access to Ontario Place. Through the planned creation of over eight acres of public spaces, including a free-access public beach and enhanced pedestrian and cycling access, people will be able to better connect with the Lake.

Therme's bridge to the West Island will support the extension and enhancement of the William G. Davis Trail across the entire site, including providing a new link to the mainland from the West Island, allowing people to enjoy more of Ontario Place outdoors year-round.

Therme's investment is currently estimated to be CAD $350 million.

Also https://thermecanada.com has been set-up and is operational, although it looks like someone forgot to upload the renderings.

Edit: From their site, adult admission projected to be $39 a day and the principal architect is Diamond Schmitt, probably a lot more info here that I'm just too lazy to retrieve

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is making the amphitheatre be indoor/outdoor really a practical idea? Some of the newer NFL stadiums have large retractable curtain-like side windows, but any time I've mentioned something like that to allow the amphitheatre to continue being used through winter, I've been told it wouldn't be realistic, or would require the whole thing to be rebuilt -- in which case it would probably make more sense to build a completely new venue across the road inside Exhibition Place.
Either way, this makes that proposal for the 7000-seat theatre pointless, even if the proponents did have the money for it.
I'm only guessing from the rendering, but the indoor venue appears to be separate; located under the outdoor venue, and fully enclosed. The new outdoor venue is on its roof.

christiesplits

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is making the amphitheatre be indoor/outdoor really a practical idea? Some of the newer NFL stadiums have large retractable curtain-like side windows, but any time I've mentioned something like that to allow the amphitheatre to continue being used through winter, I've been told it wouldn't be realistic, or would require the whole thing to be rebuilt -- in which case it would probably make more sense to build a completely new venue across the road inside Exhibition Place.
Either way, this makes that proposal for the 7000-seat theatre pointless, even if the proponents did have the money for it.

I've been told by someone in the touring industry that for a North American market as large as Toronto, we have very few large venues. Many North American cities much smaller than Toronto have three or four 12,000+ seat arenas due to the number of sports and college teams. I reckon there is a market for more indoor arena-size space.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

Also https://thermecanada.com has been set-up and is operational, although it looks like someone forgot to upload the renderings.

Edit: From their site, adult admission projected to be $39 a day and the principal architect is Diamond Schmitt, probably a lot more info here that I'm just too lazy to retrieve

"Ontario Place has historically been a publicly accessible destination for recreation, entertainment, and leisure."

Accessible if you use a car. Not so much if you use public transit. They have to fix that, without transferring from the streetcars.

Don't like safariing across the parking lots to and Ontario Place, from and to the streetcars.
camelparking.jpg
From link.

Last edited:

SubHuman

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I'm only guessing from the rendering, but the indoor venue appears to be separate; located under the outdoor venue, and fully enclosed. The new outdoor venue is on its roof.
... It will also be outfitted with mechanized exterior walls that will allow it to host events in the winter months for the first time...

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been told by someone in the touring industry that for a North American market as large as Toronto, we have very few large venues. Many North American cities much smaller than Toronto have three or four 12,000+ seat arenas due to the number of sports and college teams. I reckon there is a market for more indoor arena-size space.
We have also fallen behind in hi-tech/state of the art Convention Center space

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't help but feel that this design does not really honour what's already there. It seems like the pods and Cinesphere are an afterthought in this plan.

An indoor amusement park/spa is something they could put anywhere in the city. Seems like a waste of a prime waterfront spot.

Last edited:

mcornett

Member Bio
Reaction score
To me, the Therme project looks amazing. It makes some tropical warmth and escapism available in a winter city, which will be a tourism draw. A lot of it also ties in nicely with the indoor-outdoor use of space - beaches, botanical gardens, outdoor dining. It will make amenities that have been missing from Ontario Place, like washrooms, restaurants, and shelter available. Finally, it is significant enough to draw people at all times of day and year-round, which is important. I fully support this and can't wait!

Last edited:

Rufus8

Member Bio
Reaction score
If they really wanted it to be year round how will they deal with snow removal? Plenty of Scandanavian countries have year round public spaces but it seems that winter time is left off the drawing board. The whole thing is very strange, seems deliberately over blown. Mark Saunders? How did he end up there? A decade of construction? Are they just kicking the can down to the road hoping people will forget what was promised? I'm just confused.