old boy

Member Bio
Reaction score
The public engagement survey is now online.

Haven't read it yet...........

Here's the link:

Edit to add:

I have now finished the survey.

Mostly 'usual suspects' questions on how you have used OP in the past, how you would get there, etc.

But a couple of questions are more useful.

One involved how you would use OP if redeveloped as proposed. (with the opportunity to write in your own detailed answer)

Also, a question about what you'd like to see at OP with a couple of options that caught my eye.............

Planetarium is on that list.

View attachment 345032
I completed it after not quite following instructions the first time. These things should be easier for seniors.... giggle.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Both of these comments are dated.
That was certainly the case for a long time, but it is changing.
If you go to newer parks, they are built to encourage more 'risk taking'.
You will notice in these newer parks that they incorporate more metal/wood/natural features and far less plastic.
If you have children in daycare, you will notice this trend too. This type of playground/risk taking is part of the YMCA's national curriculum for example.
For example, here is a brand new park in Newmarket.
Notice the boat that is belly up. You can climb right to the top on the rounded 'bottom' and are quite high with no barriers.
This type of 'risk taking' promotes problem solving skills, instills confidence, and is fun. Learning to assess risk is an essential skill for life. All of this is good for child development.
If you visit some parks built within the past 5 years, you will start to notice they are closer in spirit to parks of the 1980s, than parks of the Late 90s / 2000s.
View attachment 345060
View attachment 345061

View attachment 345062
But can seniors go play on it, or is it for children only?

penlasdle

Member Bio
Reaction score
Both of these comments are dated.
That was certainly the case for a long time, but it is changing.
If you go to newer parks, they are built to encourage more 'risk taking'.
You will notice in these newer parks that they incorporate more metal/wood/natural features and far less plastic.
If you have children in daycare, you will notice this trend too. This type of playground/risk taking is part of the YMCA's national curriculum for example.
For example, here is a brand new park in Newmarket.
Notice the boat that is belly up. You can climb right to the top on the rounded 'bottom' and are quite high with no barriers.
This type of 'risk taking' promotes problem solving skills, instills confidence, and is fun. Learning to assess risk is an essential skill for life. All of this is good for child development.
If you visit some parks built within the past 5 years, you will start to notice they are closer in spirit to parks of the 1980s, than parks of the Late 90s / 2000s.
View attachment 345060
View attachment 345061

View attachment 345062
I agree! I biked past St James Park the other day and saw how tall the slide was and I almost wanted to hop off and slide!
DSC08746.jpg
DSC08747.jpg

AlexBozikovic

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's been quite clear that there will be public access to the shore around the Therme pavilions, 8 acres of freely-accessible open space.
This deserves some skepticism. The promise is “publicly accessible” open space, and if Therme controls access and security, that public access could easily be eroded. If that promise even remains intact when an actual deal is signed.

PasticheProtégé

Member Bio
Reaction score
Making us rank the cinesphere vs pods in the survey makes me think they're looking to get rid of at least one of the two, despite assurances to the contrary. This government hasn't exactly proven trustworthy (even by Ontario government standards) after all.
I might be mistaken but I think you can rank more than one item with the same level of importance.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Star has a debate feature yay or nay on proceeding with the Fordian vision for Ontario Place.

Ken Greenberg for the 'No' side, David Israelson for the 'Yes' side.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...ne.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm with Greenberg on this one.

From the piece:

",,,,,,,,,,What we got instead are three discrete, imported private attractions behind expensive paywalls."

old boy

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Star has a debate feature yay or nay on proceeding with the Fordian vision for Ontario Place.

Ken Greenberg for the 'No' side, David Israelson for the 'Yes' side.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...ne.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm with Greenberg on this one.

From the piece:

",,,,,,,,,,What we got instead are three discrete, imported private attractions behind expensive paywalls."
Israelson gave a tentative ok to the sketchy scheme I thought, acknowledging Ford's ham hands in the process. I guess the pivotal point for him is that there will be something, anything...I favour the Greenburg position.

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hmmm, the Cinesphere, other than for a few showings for TIFF, has not shown anything since TENET in August 2020. Mildly concerned given that it can't make much financial sense to keep it closed and still keep up maintenance, especially given that there's multiple blockbuster IMAX movies out right now.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Hmmm, the Cinesphere, other than for a few showings for TIFF, has not shown anything since TENET in August 2020. Mildly concerned given that it can't make much financial sense to keep it closed and still keep up maintenance, especially given that there's multiple blockbuster IMAX movies out right now.

Once Scotiabank Theatre closes it will be the only true IMAX theatre in Toronto.

It will be a booming theatre again. I recall seeing Jurassic Park there in 1993.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I saw Start Trek IV there in 1986 ;)

I last saw North of Superior there in 2017 as part of TIFF. It was truly an experience.

The only thing that that the Cinesphere is lacking is sightline seating. It is still that 1970's seating where you have to look over people but that in my opinion is part of the experience. The only downside is where it is located, nobody will drive from Scarborough to see a movie they can see closer to home.

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
...or a 2 metre person with a 1 metre fro from a previous example I was using.