The selling off of Ontario Place and bulldozing a current ecosystem to put in a glassed over tropical vacation spa is truly offensive and gross and absurd. The Ford gov (and supporters) should be made publicly to defend this ridiculous decision that will make our city worse and go against the spirit of what Ontario Place should be only to give it away to a tacky corporate spa (that likely wont even get enough business to remain viable long-term IMO and will just become a newer junkier more depressing ruin.)
Really, this Government has got to go ! Everything it touches is a bastardization of this province - crude, rude, and dumb. The new Ontario Place amusement park is not anything I can relate to.

Making an Ontario Place that's entirely about Ontario culture and innovation is easier said than done. If it becomes an alcove of Ontario plants, and a microbrewery and a stage here or there, that's nice but how is that any different from what we have now? How does that bring in anyone from outside Toronto to explore?

I honestly don't see the issue with the plans here. We here at UrbanToronto might appreciate a more artistic vision, but will the general population really be offended by putting in these attractions?

Making an Ontario Place that's entirely about Ontario culture and innovation is easier said than done. If it becomes an alcove of Ontario plants, and a microbrewery and a stage here or there, that's nice but how is that any different from what we have now? How does that bring in anyone from outside Toronto to explore?

I honestly don't see the issue with the plans here. We here at UrbanToronto might appreciate a more artistic vision, but will the general population really be offended by putting in these attractions?
Probably not, but is this what we expect from government - leadership with vision might be a good start.

The selling off of Ontario Place and bulldozing a current ecosystem to put in a glassed over tropical vacation spa is truly offensive and gross and absurd. The Ford gov (and supporters) should be made publicly to defend this ridiculous decision that will make our city worse and go against the spirit of what Ontario Place should be only to give it away to a tacky corporate spa (that likely wont even get enough business to remain viable long-term IMO and will just become a newer junkier more depressing ruin.)
I don't disagree with this, but isn't this the case for all development? The most beautiful parts of City of Toronto, or any other urban centre, at one point were beautiful parts of an ecosystem where First Nations people lived off the land. This is a development forum.. I'm not sure the point necessarily stands unless we make it for all development?

I don't disagree with this, but isn't this the case for all development? The most beautiful parts of City of Toronto, or any other urban centre, at one point were beautiful parts of an ecosystem where First Nations people lived off the land. This is a development forum.. I'm not sure the point necessarily stands unless we make it for all development?

I don't follow.

The point made was not to restore landscapes to what they were in the 18thC; the point was to preserve a landscape as it is today.

The argument is not that all development is wrong; the argument is that development shouldn't demean the best things we have today, nor harm what nature we have left in the City.

Ontario Place is mostly landfill. Lake Shore Blvd. W. is also mostly landfill. Most of south of the "New Fort" is landfill.

1995CNE.ASICompositeMap1840-1950.jpg

00020+1884arcsm.jpg
From link.

I don't follow.

The point made was not to restore landscapes to what they were in the 18thC; the point was to preserve a landscape as it is today.

The argument is not that all development is wrong; the argument is that development shouldn't demean the best things we have today, nor harm what nature we have left in the City.
I'm just saying at that time, if people made that same argument (which they did) we wouldn't have the some of the metropolises (or urban areas) that exist today. It's just a weird thing to pick this point in time, where we are now, to be so confident in thinking we should preserve certain the current natural state, when we benefit in terms of urbanity and livability from the past not having done that. Just inconsistent points in my mind. I'm grateful Toronto developed into the urban metropolis it has become, despite the beautiful landscape that existed here prior. Both things can be true.

...in the end, I don't think these shiny dog and pony shows will help OP's future prospects much. They are too cost prohibitive for its patrons for one. And too soul sucking gimmickry and a cheeze sandwich for another. /sigh

If you read the full column, what she points out is that none of those companies set to take control of a portion of Ontario Place are based in Ontario.

One is American, one is Austrian and one is based in Quebec.

She's also making that point in that the idea of Ontario Place as originally conceived was to be a celebration of Ontario.

It was meant to reflect the physical place and the people in it, and was originally designed by an Ontario-based architect, used many Ontario building materials and including then pioneering IMAX technology invented in Ontario.

Her argument is multi-faceted but in it she's making the point that both the prescribed uses and the companies behind them don't represent the ideas for which Ontario Place, designed by her father...........was conceived.
Even giant air mattresses for young children to jump on are more Ontarian than what are currently proposed.

...in the end, I don't think these shiny dog and pony shows will help OP's future prospects much. They are too cost prohibitive for its patrons for one. And too soul sucking gimmickry and a cheeze sandwich for another. /sigh
All this development needs is a good bakery, and presto - bread and circuses. I don't know if you can pick a time to be " historical ", just remember that a lot of the land around the current city was all under water several thousand years ago. As for a ferris wheel, who needs it when you got this glitz.

Back