cne_fair70s1.jpg

Wonderland

Wonderland needs some competition. It has good rides but that's about it. Too me it has become a summer day care centre full of bored kids causing trouble.
Also needs a lot more security, tons of line jumpers etc.

I'd hope Ontario place could be more unique.

It would be hella cool having something like this in Ontario place. The brief skyline views would be top notch. That was always my favorite part about DropZone, getting to look around for 4-6 seconds.

400px-Ttd.jpg

EDIT: For bonus points, build the support beams as condos! ha...

Last edited:
You mean Top Thrill Dragster? If they want to build something like this, thats fine with me as i've ridden it. However, the price tag of 25 million US might crush that dream.

It would be hella cool having something like this in Ontario place. The brief skyline views would be top notch. That was always my favorite part about DropZone, getting to look around for 4-6 seconds.

400px-Ttd.jpg

EDIT: For bonus points, build the support beams as condos! ha...

Yikes, the Behemoth is about as much as I can take...but the condo idea could go somewhere. Instead of condos they could build a clock tower inside and let Bulova sponsor it.

Maybe a bit too nostalgic there.

You mean Top Thrill Dragster? If they want to build something like this, thats fine with me as i've ridden it. However, the price tag of 25 million US might crush that dream.

Living in this age of hundred billion dollar bailouts and such, I feel immunized against puny figures like 25,000,000$. How much do roller coasters like Behemoth cost, how profitable do they tend to be? Is Top Thrill Dragster fun to ride on?

Wonderland needs some competition. It has good rides but that's about it. Too me it has become a summer day care centre full of bored kids causing trouble.

Given the economy and all, plus the urbanization of its hinterland, I'm wondering whether Wonderland might someday-sooner-than-we-think be closed for redevelopment...

Oh, god I hope not, It's my favourite place to go in the summer. But like other said, it is very profitable, so I actually doubt it. After all, La Ronde is on potentially prime real estate... In any case, an amusement park to compete with wonderland is a great idea, plus I won't have to go in the middle of nowhere BY BUS to go on a roller coaster.

Top Thrill Dragster, yes!!
(Although I was actually freaking out majorly on the way up Behemoth, but after that, it's so amazing!

Wonderland will not be going anywhere anytime soon. The money that is made there and the tourism it creates is far too high. Cedar Fair has big plans for the park.

Ontario Place needs to be a different kind of amusement park. Ontario Place needs to be different than Wonderland, Centreville and the CNE. It needs to develop a unique atmosphere and be open year round. I think it needs to be cultural, educational, as well as entertainment oriented.

Could always build a big ass Ferris Wheel. That is definitely better than an aquarium. I've always been surprised Toronto doesn't have a permanent one, but I guess the CN Tower fills the "observation" niche quite well. The London Eye seems to have done quite well for London.

What's to be surprised about? Other than the London Eye and Vienna's Riesenrad (and I haven't taken stock of what might be in Asia these days), how many landmark permanent "observation-type" megawheels *are* there?

You might as well suggest a transporter-bridge-type array--hey, Chicago had one as part of its 1933-34 World's Fair. (And with something of a proto-Zeidler aesthetic, as well.)
QG001162.jpg

Last edited:
Architects, developers and financiers are being invited to submit pitches on how to transform the flagging theme and water park – even if it involves razing all 96 acres and starting fresh. “It’s a blank canvas right now,” says Hugh Mansfield, spokesperson for the project.

Bad idea - OP has some of the most playful and original architecture from the period - to ignore that fact does Toronto a disservice. Molson Ampitheatre can go though.

Organizers hope to select a contract winner by next July. How long the new park takes to build will depend on the scope of the proposal – organizers say it would be “premature” to speculate about whether the new park could open in time to compete with the 150,000-square-foot aquarium being built by Ripley Entertainment at the base of the CN Tower.

Instead of competition, OP should be thinking about synergies with other institutions such as the Ex, Fort York, etc - considering the number of ongoing projects such as June Callwood Park, the Fort York Museum, Pedestrian bridge, HK Hotel in the Ex, etc. Personally I think it's time to have an integrated landscape plan including these institutions and WT, as well as thinking of really renovating Exhibition Station into something that works as a spectacular transit hub for the area.

AoD

Interesting -- it would be very nice to see it more integrated with the rest of the waterfront. I wonder if the impetus for this is partly due to all the other action that is finally happening on the shoreline.

Back