Also https://thermecanada.com has been set-up and is operational, although it looks like someone forgot to upload the renderings.

Edit: From their site, adult admission projected to be $39 a day and the principal architect is Diamond Schmitt, probably a lot more info here that I'm just too lazy to retrieve

"Ontario Place has historically been a publicly accessible destination for recreation, entertainment, and leisure."

Accessible if you use a car. Not so much if you use public transit. They have to fix that, without transferring from the streetcars.

Don't like safariing across the parking lots to and Ontario Place, from and to the streetcars.
camelparking.jpg
From link.

Last edited:
I'm only guessing from the rendering, but the indoor venue appears to be separate; located under the outdoor venue, and fully enclosed. The new outdoor venue is on its roof.
... It will also be outfitted with mechanized exterior walls that will allow it to host events in the winter months for the first time...

I've been told by someone in the touring industry that for a North American market as large as Toronto, we have very few large venues. Many North American cities much smaller than Toronto have three or four 12,000+ seat arenas due to the number of sports and college teams. I reckon there is a market for more indoor arena-size space.
We have also fallen behind in hi-tech/state of the art Convention Center space

I can't help but feel that this design does not really honour what's already there. It seems like the pods and Cinesphere are an afterthought in this plan.

An indoor amusement park/spa is something they could put anywhere in the city. Seems like a waste of a prime waterfront spot.

Last edited:
To me, the Therme project looks amazing. It makes some tropical warmth and escapism available in a winter city, which will be a tourism draw. A lot of it also ties in nicely with the indoor-outdoor use of space - beaches, botanical gardens, outdoor dining. It will make amenities that have been missing from Ontario Place, like washrooms, restaurants, and shelter available. Finally, it is significant enough to draw people at all times of day and year-round, which is important. I fully support this and can't wait!

Last edited:
If they really wanted it to be year round how will they deal with snow removal? Plenty of Scandanavian countries have year round public spaces but it seems that winter time is left off the drawing board. The whole thing is very strange, seems deliberately over blown. Mark Saunders? How did he end up there? A decade of construction? Are they just kicking the can down to the road hoping people will forget what was promised? I'm just confused.

If they really wanted it to be year round how will they deal with snow removal? Plenty of Scandanavian countries have year round public spaces but it seems that winter time is left off the drawing board. The whole thing is very strange, seems deliberately over blown. Mark Saunders? How did he end up there? A decade of construction? Are they just kicking the can down to the road hoping people will forget what was promised? I'm just confused.

Yeah that decade of construction was surprising too.

Why would this take as long as building a subway line?

what would be "world class" then if this isn't? I mean it's easy to be an armchair critic, but what do you do that doesn't cost billions of public financing and provides activities here that are actually going to be genuine attractiions? Therme seems like a fun new destination to me.

Turning the whole thing into a park isn't really world class to me, the whole area is already well stocked with parkland, and a giant park here would likely be relatively lightly used compared to facilities such as a new concert venue and massive indoor water park.
The execution of all this will dull it down to a point where it leaves everyone wanting more. We're talking about a city and province which value engineers virtually everything imaginable in this day and age. We're far from the 60's/70's where we actually were willing to spend the money on quality.

The renders look great, but we have a problem in today's culture where we dont pay up for the quality which truly make major infrastructure projects shine to their fullest extent.

Back