Making us rank the cinesphere vs pods in the survey makes me think they're looking to get rid of at least one of the two, despite assurances to the contrary. This government hasn't exactly proven trustworthy (even by Ontario government standards) after all.
I might be mistaken but I think you can rank more than one item with the same level of importance.

The Star has a debate feature yay or nay on proceeding with the Fordian vision for Ontario Place.

Ken Greenberg for the 'No' side, David Israelson for the 'Yes' side.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...ne.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm with Greenberg on this one.

From the piece:

",,,,,,,,,,What we got instead are three discrete, imported private attractions behind expensive paywalls."

The Star has a debate feature yay or nay on proceeding with the Fordian vision for Ontario Place.

Ken Greenberg for the 'No' side, David Israelson for the 'Yes' side.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...ne.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm with Greenberg on this one.

From the piece:

",,,,,,,,,,What we got instead are three discrete, imported private attractions behind expensive paywalls."
Israelson gave a tentative ok to the sketchy scheme I thought, acknowledging Ford's ham hands in the process. I guess the pivotal point for him is that there will be something, anything...I favour the Greenburg position.

Hmmm, the Cinesphere, other than for a few showings for TIFF, has not shown anything since TENET in August 2020. Mildly concerned given that it can't make much financial sense to keep it closed and still keep up maintenance, especially given that there's multiple blockbuster IMAX movies out right now.

Hmmm, the Cinesphere, other than for a few showings for TIFF, has not shown anything since TENET in August 2020. Mildly concerned given that it can't make much financial sense to keep it closed and still keep up maintenance, especially given that there's multiple blockbuster IMAX movies out right now.

Once Scotiabank Theatre closes it will be the only true IMAX theatre in Toronto.

It will be a booming theatre again. I recall seeing Jurassic Park there in 1993.

I saw Start Trek IV there in 1986 ;)

I last saw North of Superior there in 2017 as part of TIFF. It was truly an experience.

The only thing that that the Cinesphere is lacking is sightline seating. It is still that 1970's seating where you have to look over people but that in my opinion is part of the experience. The only downside is where it is located, nobody will drive from Scarborough to see a movie they can see closer to home.

...or a 2 metre person with a 1 metre fro from a previous example I was using.

Not sure what you mean about having to look over people at the Cinesphere. It has one of the steepest rakes of any theatre going, so you'd only have a head in the way if you were sitting behind an absolute giant with a top hat on.

homer.jpg

Once Scotiabank Theatre closes it will be the only true IMAX theatre in Toronto...
There was a new Apollo 11 documentary being shown in 2019 that I heard of only after the initial very brief run had ended. I saw what turned to out to be a significantly shorter (less than half length) version of it in the small IMAX theatre at the Science Centre, and felt slightly cheated. But luckily several weeks later the full length version was at Cinesphere, a much better experience.

Last edited:

Back