From the Canadian Architect:

AoD

From the Canadian Architect:

AoD

Hmmm, MSP would not have been my first choice. They have some good projects; but a lot of ........'mehs' in their portfolio.

Also, their taste in web design doesn't engender confidence:

Landinc, on the other hand has done some pretty good stuff, including Trillium Park.

Hmmm, MSP would not have been my first choice. They have some good projects; but a lot of ........'mehs' in their portfolio.

Also, their taste in web design doesn't engender confidence:

Landinc, on the other hand has done some pretty good stuff, including Trillium Park.

Not really seeing a lot of standout projects from LANDinc either, Trillium Park might be their best.

Did learn about a rebuild of the Canada Walk of Fame that never happened though: Link

Not really seeing a lot of standout projects from LANDinc either, Trillium Park might be their best.

Did learn about a rebuild of the Canada Walk of Fame that never happened though: Link

I would have liked to see MVVA as the lead here.

Supported, perhaps by West 8 to bring some consistency w/the central waterfront in terms of harder public spaces; alternatively, Cormier rarely disappoints.

Margaret Zeidler has an opinion on the Ford gov't Ontario Place makeover........it's not flattering.

I agree w/her take!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-ontario-place-should-be-renamed-any-place/ (not paywalled at time of posting)

From the column:

1649168106847.png

"Is a giant tropical spa the best way for Ontarians to celebrate our province? Is it the best use of such priceless public land? Is it even a good idea, given climate change, to rip out a native forest and replace it with hectares of glass-covered space that will require heating and cooling year-round?"

She goes on to advocate for an Ontario Place that revels in native plant landscapes, showcases Ontario food/wine/micro-brew and Ontario innovation as well as Ontario culture (notably music)

Margaret Zeidler has an opinion on the Ford gov't Ontario Place makeover........it's not flattering.

I agree w/her take!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-ontario-place-should-be-renamed-any-place/ (not paywalled at time of posting)

From the column:

View attachment 390324

"Is a giant tropical spa the best way for Ontarians to celebrate our province? Is it the best use of such priceless public land? Is it even a good idea, given climate change, to rip out a native forest and replace it with hectares of glass-covered space that will require heating and cooling year-round?"

She goes on to advocate for an Ontario Place that revels in native plant landscapes, showcases Ontario food/wine/micro-brew and Ontario innovation as well as Ontario culture (notably music)
There has to be someone from Ontario who can do this.

How parochial. They did hire a Canadian firm -- it's not like they went to the U.S. and Europe. Funny, I don't see this kind of criticism on the many threads praising Claude Cormier.

If you read the full column, what she points out is that none of those companies set to take control of a portion of Ontario Place are based in Ontario.

One is American, one is Austrian and one is based in Quebec.

She's also making that point in that the idea of Ontario Place as originally conceived was to be a celebration of Ontario.

It was meant to reflect the physical place and the people in it, and was originally designed by an Ontario-based architect, used many Ontario building materials and including then pioneering IMAX technology invented in Ontario.

Her argument is multi-faceted but in it she's making the point that both the prescribed uses and the companies behind them don't represent the ideas for which Ontario Place, designed by her father...........was conceived.

Last edited:
The selling off of Ontario Place and bulldozing a current ecosystem to put in a glassed over tropical vacation spa is truly offensive and gross and absurd. The Ford gov (and supporters) should be made publicly to defend this ridiculous decision that will make our city worse and go against the spirit of what Ontario Place should be only to give it away to a tacky corporate spa (that likely wont even get enough business to remain viable long-term IMO and will just become a newer junkier more depressing ruin.)

Back