Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Therme has begun lobbying the City in regards to the OP plan:

1659021804322.png

1659021822727.png

Note the timeline; that's unusually short.

I don't know, but I assume that would come from the Province simply being prepared to push through if an agreement can't be reached.

Last edited:
...yeah, I can almost hear Mr. End reminding us that if it looks that fantastical, it's probably outside the scope of reality as we know it. And how devs like to woo the public before switching to something more standard closer to sealing the approval print. /sigh

Question for the staff/mods: why hasn't the database page linked to this thread been updated with renderings/info on the Therme + Live Nation proposal (the first submission and this latest one posted by AoD and Northern Light)?

There’s something so unnecessary - or unspecial about this therme group attraction. It has no cultural value, and it doesn’t seem particularly interesting or fun. To use such an important location for this is a huge mistake and it feels like selling out.
Well I mean Doug Ford and his government are used to selling out to various entities, so it's not out of the ordinary.

I don't see how they can do it in the budget that was quoted.

AoD

With any luck this abomination of a project will die before it gets underway, then we can get on with planning something worthwhile for the site.

I'm surprised by everyone's lack of support for this. I used to live in Japan and the biggest thing I miss is sitting in a hot bath (sento or onsen) while watching it snow. I'd rather push to make sure they get this right than hope it fails.

There’s something so unnecessary - or unspecial about this therme group attraction. It has no cultural value, and it doesn’t seem particularly interesting or fun. To use such an important location for this is a huge mistake and it feels like selling out.
Really? 😢 I'm super stokes for this! We have nothing like it in Toronto right now.

I'm surprised by everyone's lack of support for this. I used to live in Japan and the biggest thing I miss is sitting in a hot bath (sento or onsen) while watching it snow. I'd rather push to make sure they get this right than hope it fails.

It's not an opposition to saunas or pools or what have you.

It's a combination of things that will vary by the poster; but in general:

Many of us believe that as public land, it should serve a public purpose rather than a private interest.

Many also take issue w/this particular private purpose (indoor tropical beach), on a space that was created to celebrate Ontario, which is not tropical.

Quite a few would say that more of the site needs to be outdoors and accessible freely to everyone.

While there are quite a few who doubt that the arguably most redeeming elements of the proposal from an architectural perspective will come off as contemplated.

Therme, in much of Europe is more a suburban/ex-urban phenomenon akin to Wonderland (indoors) or a super-sized Great Wolf Lodge.

It just seems an awkward fit here.

The parking lot at Canada's Wonderland might be just the spot!

Back