For some reason I get the feeling that this Ontario Place deal will blow up to a scandal a la Gas Plant level, and will bring Doug Ford's reign to an end in a couple years.

That or it could just be wishful thinking as well.
A split vote tends to be the thing that keeps his party in power though...

A split vote tends to be the thing that keeps his party in power though...
Does anyone have an idea why there continues to be a split vote ? Another election like the last one, and all our handwringing will be purely academic.

Last edited:
For some reason I get the feeling that this Ontario Place deal will blow up to a scandal a la Gas Plant level, and will bring Doug Ford's reign to an end in a couple years.

That or it could just be wishful thinking as well.
Doug occupies the center, the Liberals have no credible leader and are still getting over the Wynn years, the NDP, are well, the NDP. You can join the PC party of Ontario for $10 a year. SIgn up enough Urbantoronto followers and take over the party from within!

I saw this, though I don't think there's really anything new.

Ontario Place consultants outline latest vision
“The design concepts are not in any way final... They’re really conceptual ideas.”
The province will also work with the Ontario Science Centre to consider incorporating science-related programming at the Cinesphere and pod complex...
Most pods have been vacant for decades and need extensive interior and exterior renovation...
... Ontario Place was constructed using fill material which has resulted in some poor soil quality and groundwater issues. A baseline study and risk assessment has already been completed.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea why there continues to be a split vote ? Another election like the last one, and all our handwringing will be purely academic.
Off-topically...too many parties going for the centre-left vote. Either they have to merge or one or two of them (since there's three) will have to bow out or die. Or we hedge our bets in hoping the vote will collapse to one of them...so far though, that's been futile for the last two elections. /sigh

Last edited:
Off-topically...too many parties going for the centre-left vote. Either they have to merge or one or two of them (since there's three) will have to bow out or die. Or we hedge our bets in hoping the vote will collapse to one of them...so far though, that's been futile for the last two elections. /sigh
I believe that there needs to a centrist party. All the current parties seem to chasing the extreme, either left for Liberal and NDP, or the extreme right for the Conservatives. If the liberals became more centrist like they mainly used to be, there would be more balance in Canadian body politic.

Off-topically again, most parties that claim to be "centrist" is usually a flag for conservative light. And as experience has told me with Clinton and Blair, we really don't need any of those either in this opinion....

...and that's all I am going to say for that. And let's talk about saving Ontario Place instead! Thnkx!

Posts regarding the Therme Spa project have been hived off into a new thread for just that project. You can find them here. We will aim to have a separate database file and pointer on the map for it soon.

If any other the other private plans for Ontario Place proceed to the application stage like Therme just did, then we will create separate threads for those too.

I believe that there needs to a centrist party. All the current parties seem to chasing the extreme, either left for Liberal and NDP, or the extreme right for the Conservatives. If the liberals became more centrist like they mainly used to be, there would be more balance in Canadian body politic.
It's funny, as moving here from abroad, I find that all the Canadian parties are pretty centrist compared to what I'm used to! :)

Saw this pic, found it interesting, thought others might appreciate it: Ontario Place Pods under construction:

1674263016971.png

Spacing has a piece out with a counter-proposal in terms of a vision for Ontario Place.

From the end of that piece:

1675801362605.png

I'll leave anyone intrigued by the idea to read the article at Spacing by following the link.

But I can't resist bringing their layout plan over for everyone to have a look-see.

1675801434679.png

A close-up of the legend:

1675801531169.png

Back