I also wish for more perennial flowers in public spaces, but when it happens, they're planted as blocky monocultures that fade into disrepair within a few years. Scant exceptions exist (such as University Avenue). Until Toronto allows volunteer groups to maintain public gardens, I hope the Games district keeps the planting to sturdy trees and shrubs.

I'm convinced by certain hardy perennials to withstand urban neglect -- daylilies, irises, heucheras, grasses.
If the trees can prosper, they should manage too.

The volunteer issue is something that, I imagine, has volume for change given the residential growth of the downtown. There must be some condo dwellers who miss the suburban exercises of lawn care, in some fashion.
With a broad enough downtown programme in place, the core could experience an extensive naturalised renovation.

Corktown Common is certainly a wonderful contributor.

Does any one know what's going on with the ten arcquitectos building? From the webcam it looks as if they've planted trees where it's supposed to go. http://www.earthcam.net/projects/kpmb/
Temporary landscaping for PAG. I have no idea of a time-line for further development at the site but they did not want any construction going on during the Games but also did not want to showcase 'wastelands'.

There's a lot of grey, but I actually sort of liked the look of it as I walked through the site yesterday. I think the snow actually plays off the architecture well and the heritage buildings scattered throughout break up some of the monotony. It'll be a different story of course in the summer, but I hope that once some more public art goes in and the trees flourish, we'll notice less of the grey.

Canary District by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Thanks for the snaps Marcanadian.

The Pan Am buildings work best when they are contrasted with the heritage buildings. Also, it's a shame they are using those ugly city bike rings on the site.

These aren't so bad, at least there are contrasting tones. I'm sure once the neighbourhood matures a bit and some green comes to life it will look good. Compared to many other parts of the city it seems to fair quite well in winter grey.

Anybody have the timeline for converting the village to its permanent uses after the games?

Move-ins start June 2016, and are supposed to be complete by September 2016.

The West Don Lands master plan precinct is much larger than the Pan Am Village section. It includes the River City and TCHC developments in Corktown, Underpass Park, and everything north of the Distillery District (AKA heritage shopping mall - mind you a very nice one) between Mill Street and Eastern, Cherry and Parliament. The Parliament Street Data Centre that this site has covered so well is part of the West Don Lands, as will be the future redevelopment of the Library buildings on the SE corner of Parliament and Front.

In short, the neighbourhood is far from done. Corktown Common is a marvellous park. The streetscapes will be worked on more fully in 2015 - 2016 in the "Village" area, and there is much more development coming, per the precinct plan, post games.

The district is coming together nicely. The buildings are interestingly detailed, and the public realm is a decisive step forward towards higher quality public spaces. At the end of the day, it'll be a grey district but one that's quite likable.

Last edited:
If you think the West Don Lands is grey you're going to love the new South Core area. :cool:

IMG_1628.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 991

Back