https://waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/por...to+takes+action+to+reconnect+city+to+its+lake

slip.png

slip2.png

Very cool proposal - this area desperately needs an attraction. Are there any winter uses? Skating rink, outdoor curling? It would be very cold with the wind coming off the late.

That looks a lot like new docking spots for water taxis... which the eastern part of the waterfront is sorely lacking. Can't wait to bike/bus/walk down to Parliament Slip and hop on a water taxi to Ward's Island. It would save a whole lot of time and result in a lot more trips to the Islands.

This proposal is definitely a step-up over the early designs for the wave deck from about a decade ago:

1615219549198.png

This version is a later iteration - there was an earlier version where there are a number of timber protrusions from a larger number of holes with smaller diameter. That one is patently wild, if not impractical. I will see if I can dig up some old docs with renderings.

AoD

Last edited:
Very cool proposal - this area desperately needs an attraction. Are there any winter uses? Skating rink, outdoor curling? It would be very cold with the wind coming off the late.
It can be cold, but not always. Yesterday, for example, there were tons of people out on Sherbourne Common and the promenade. The skating rink at Sherbourne is well used under normal non-pandemic conditions. Sugar Beach was packed with people.

It's a bit funny to see it called a "derelict part of the city's waterfront" when it's literally 200m away from three new projects under construction. For the low low price of $8.8M you too can buy a penthouse suite in this derelict part of the city's waterfront!

This proposal is definitely a step-up over the early designs for the wave deck from about a decade ago:

View attachment 304274

This version is a later iteration - there was an earlier version where there are a number of timber protrusions from a larger number of holes with smaller diameter.

AoD

These were ok along Harbourfront but I never fully understood their purpose. What were they actually meant to do?

Love the idea, especially the restaurant pier-- but there's no way they build a swimming pool here without some kind of fence around it. And where are all these kayaks and sailboats being launched from and stored?
I get that this is just a vision, but reality to going to take a bite out of this one.

Love the idea, especially the restaurant pier-- but there's no way they build a swimming pool here without some kind of fence around it. And where are all these kayaks and sailboats being launched from and stored?
I get that this is just a vision, but reality to going to take a bite out of this one.

The pool area seems to have a grade change that will require some kind of fencing anyways. As to kayaks/sailboats - the renderings doesn't show it, but you can have an arrangement similar to what happened at Rees and Simcoe slips.

AoD

This entire thing needs to be fenced-in, roped-off and the slopes flattened!! This is an outrage! It's dangerous and I am scared!
I also want more signage explaining the dangers I am about to engage in, while accessing these spaces.

Ahhhhhhhhhh! Water.

....meanwhile the ever cunning and dangerous Lake Ontario lurks just beyond.

FILL IT IN! FENCE IT OFF! The crowd chanted.

Hey I'm not the one asking for it-- this is a city where we put signs on the road to tell people not to play ball hockey. I personally think it looks great, I just can't see the city building this as rendered. Hopefully whatever barrier they do end up putting in is tasteful and in line with the vision here.

Anyone seen any info on funding? I've looked through the capital budget as recently as the February Board meeting, and there was no mention of this project specifically, unless it's being accounted for under the aspirational "Signature Projects" bucket.

This is how WT's capital project planning has been structured for a while now:
  • Priority Projects ($814 million) largely Port Lands Flood Protection (funded); 
  • Next Generation Sustainable Communities ($178 million) including Quayside (funded); and 
  • Signature Projects ($333 million) - aspirational projects dependent on the success of the fundraising strategy set out in the Fundraising Action Plan (largely unfunded).
WT has been planning a fundraising strategy to begin tackling the Signature Projects for at least a year, and staffing/resourcing for execution was one of the items for Board approval at a recent meeting.

Back