News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I wasn't sure because, I thought it was a typo and he was talking about the plane model (777)

AC flies 777's on most high volume long haul routes.

It is abhorrent that AC, a key tenant at YYZ, resorts to this practice and cant or wont use its weight to get GTAA moving on proper expansion and/or opening the infield terminal.

AC = Air Canada

Yes, Air Canada.

There were two other very big AC widebodies parked next to mine, which looked to have received the same treatment. The airstairs had a sort of plastic bubble overhead, but it leaked badly - tons of rain coming through in ragged streams.

The best part was after entering the terminal from the bus. The only way up to the top level (the walkway to customs) was a single elevator, onto which we all had to gradually pile.

Yes, Air Canada.

There were two other very big AC widebodies parked next to mine, which looked to have received the same treatment. The airstairs had a sort of plastic bubble overhead, but it leaked badly - tons of rain coming through in ragged streams.

The best part was after entering the terminal from the bus. The only way up to the top level (the walkway to customs) was a single elevator, onto which we all had to gradually pile.
Yikes - that really seems like poor, poor gate optimization/planning by the GTAA.

It is a general rule of thumb to never, ever, ever board/disembark widebodies through airstairs. You save that for regional flights or narrow bodies, max 200 passengers.

Reminds me of going to Punta Cana.
I was flying back from Rome 2 weeks ago and the airport (not Air Canada) was unable to detach the bridge from the plane so we sat on the plane at the gate for 2+ hours when the airport appeared to bring a fork-lift (!) to shift it. SOMETIMES stairs and a bus is actually better!

I was flying back from Rome 2 weeks ago and the airport (not Air Canada) was unable to detach the bridge from the plane so we sat on the plane at the gate for 2+ hours when the airport appeared to bring a fork-lift (!) to shift it. SOMETIMES stairs and a bus is actually better!

I hope you weren't stuck in one of those Air Transat sardine cans.

Not really. I had this problem at terminal three when I worked on the ramp. Power failed and the bridge was stuck. We took an outside the box approach and manually turned the nose gear with the tow bar so that when I started the push, the aircraft would move away from the bridge. Once we were a safe distance away I corrected the turn, straightened the tug and towbar and carried on like a normal push back.

Not really. I had this problem at terminal three when I worked on the ramp. Power failed and the bridge was stuck. We took an outside the box approach and manually turned the nose gear with the tow bar so that when I started the push, the aircraft would move away from the bridge. Once we were a safe distance away I corrected the turn, straightened the tug and towbar and carried on like a normal push back.
I wish you had been working at Rome Airport a couple of weeks ago - in that case we could see lots of milling around, hand gestures, shrugs etc etc!

I wish you had been working at Rome Airport a couple of weeks ago - in that case we could see lots of milling around, hand gestures, shrugs etc etc!
So in other words, Italian yelling.

At the time, I was nervous to try it but it worked perfectly. Can't recall the aircraft type but it would have been either an MD80, 727, or 757.

whywhyzee from SSP said:
Surprised it hasn't made it on here yet, I made this account mainly to share this bit of info:

YYZ infield terminal opens today; in 8 minutes as of me writing this post. It will handle 7 airlines ( WOW, Icelandair, UIA, Aer Lingus, Condor, Azores and Primera).

Glad to be on here, always great info. :cheers:

Infield has reopened!

Odd listing of airlines using Infield - I would have expected Transat and Sunwing (especially the latter, as their chronic lateness is a major headache for T3 users, mainly Westjet, and is why they got kicked out of T1 last year).

Aer Lingus really doesn't belong there.

Infield has reopened!

Odd listing of airlines using Infield - I would have expected Transat and Sunwing (especially the latter, as their chronic lateness is a major headache for T3 users, mainly Westjet, and is why they got kicked out of T1 last year).

Aer Lingus really doesn't belong there.

I would guess they were offered, and accepted, lower fees for moving?

Infield Terminal for Terminal 1, Terminal 3, or both?

Where do the buses leave from?

Back