News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I've been bused upon arrival on British Airways at Heathrow, and on Lufthansa at Frankfurt (a 747 no less).
Even at their own hub airports, they run out of gates, especially in the morning.

I think T3 and T1 made alot of sense when they were first designed, but a combination of technology and a change in processes has made them non-nonsensical.

Back in 1993, you would just line up for the check in counter, then head to security. Nowadays, you might need to use a kiosk. You may or may not have to tag your own bag. You have to find the correct line (e.g. economy, bag drop only, premium economy, business, first, loyalty program). Or you could be using the self bag drop. The machines and the stanchions cause a bit of clutter. T1 has been able to adapt OK but T3 is a hot mess.

I remember back in T3 if you were flying to the States, you could get your bags weighted at check in, then walk right past the counter to US clearance since there was no conveyor belt in the way. Now there's an awkward cluster of check in counters.

Another major change that threw things off is going through security before US preclearance. At T1 this involved converting an area that was formerly used for check in for security. So now you check in at a check in, then have to back track and potentially venture off to the other side of the terminal to get to security.

Also for international, I believe there used to be a security entrance to the left and right of the US customs hall, but now only to the right. So if you are using a check in to the left, you gotta back track to the right. It's messy.

You'll only ever see bus runs at large airports for domestic (usually LCC) flights unless something is really wrong in Europe.

I am certainly no fan of buses but to be fair I have experienced them all over the world, from international flights at big airports: Frankfurt, Istanbul, Munich, Heathrow, HKG...

You'll only ever see bus runs at large airports for domestic (usually LCC) flights unless something is really wrong in Europe.

I've been to Japan, Australia, Argentina, Morroco and never once encountered a bus. Paris ? Yep I encountered a bus at CDG both ways. Seems it is a) airport design and b) the actual carrier.

I've flown all my trips out of T3 in the last year (Mix of transborder, Sun, Tpac) and honestly didn't think it was that bad. Had no trouble reaching the terminal and the lines weren't too bad. Yes, it could have more food options. When they built the offices behind the check-in counters and took out some of the shops and restaurants that really changed things. Imploding it isn't necessary right now. The only terminal that really deserved to be destroyed was the old T1. Perhaps things got bad with the reactivation of the IFT in June but so far I haven't noticed any major problems. Growth is never painless.

I flew out of T1 to Vegas in March and out of T3 to LA in June, and honestly, I preferred the experience at T3. Shorter security line, shorter customs line, closer to my gate, better food options (I really don't feel like spending $20 for a burger and fries at Wahlburger). Even coming back the Canadian customs line was shorter.

Yes T3 could use a coat of paint and some new carpets that don't scream "I'm from the early 1990s", but overall I found the experience to be pretty good.

And just for reference, my T1 experience was with Air Canada Rouge, and my T3 experience was with WestJet.

I just flew to Vegas with WestJet last week and the Nexus line was super quick I was through in like 5 minutes. It doesn't look that bad inside either.

Link

Interesting comments in the most recent 2nd q financial release.

- gate 193 area to be renamed pier G
- pier G to be expanded to accomodate transborder narrow body aircraft along with associated lounges etc. 10 gates will be added.

I gues filip was correct this is what pier G is going to look like now. Yay no walk up gates!?!?!

Questions:
- is 10 gates enough to take pressure off of the international pier F. How many us bound flights depart YYZ in a day, hour?
- narrow bodies only? Are we talking 737/320 narrow bodies or C-Series(cough 220)/crj's/embraer's. How many wide body transborder flights are there?
- will there be an area built for us customs preclearance as well?

Last edited:
Link

Interesting comments in the most recent 2nd q financial release.

- gate 193 area to be renamed pier G
- pier G to be expanded to accomodate transborder narrow body aircraft along with associated lounges etc. 10 gates will be added.

I gues filip was correct this is what pier G is going to look like now. Yay no walk up gates!?!?!

Questions:
- is 10 gates enough to take pressure off of the international pier F. How many us bound flights depart YYZ in a day, hour?
- narrow bodies only? Are we talking 737/320 narrow bodies or C-Series(cough 220)/crj's/embraer's. How many wide body transborder flights are there?
- will there be an area built for us customs preclearance as well?

US preclearance already takes place in the main hall, so I don't see them needing to move it into the concourse area. There are a lot of US bound flights daily (I don't know the exact numbers), transborder traffic makes up roughly 1/4 of all passenger travel at Pearson. While it may not seem like much, keep in mind that wide bodies like the 767 and 777 fly daily between Vancouver and Calgary, and there are generally fewer destinations in Canada than the US.

For T1, there are currently:
28 Domestic gates, +7F Swing gates
12 Transborder Gates, +7D Swing gates, +10E Swing Gates, + 16 RJ gates
4 International Gates, +10F Swing Gates

The biggest discrepancy is obviously with the International swing gates (seriously, who the hell designed this thing?) but to be fair, the majority of the E/F swing gates are always set for international travel. With 14E gates and 12 full F gates.

UPDATE: I did some tallying, and I found out some very interesting information:

Terminal 1 -- Daily Flights (On a Thursday)
Domestic: 172
Transborder: 172
International: 57

Terminal 3 -- Daily Flights (On a Thursday)
Domestic: 96
Transborder: 115
International: 49

Turns out there are more transborder flights than any other type. While these planes are usually smaller (CRJs, ERJs, 737s, A320s, 717s), there are a few larger planes that use these gates often (757s, 767s, and 787s). However, the smaller planes are far more abundant, and explain why more flights (yet fewer passengers) use the transborder gates.

Last edited:
I flew out of Pearson to San Francisco on Friday for my 20th wedding anniversary trip. I have Elite status, so we went to the Air Canada's transborder lounge for dinner. I have to say, compared to the main Air Canada international lounge, the transborder lounge is a disappointment. The chairs are old and uncomfortable and carpets are worn out, the food quality and options were poor, there is hardly any view of the runways because the terraced set up of the lounge. I would have been better off in a bar in the airport, and will do so next time I'm travel on my expense account, rather than my own dime. The reviews here are about right https://www.loungebuddy.com/YYZ/air...terminal-1-transborder-usa-flights-3Vc5MtM39F

The international lounge is great.

I flew out of Pearson to San Francisco on Friday for my 20th wedding anniversary trip. I have Elite status, so we went to the Air Canada's transborder lounge for dinner. I have to say, compared to the main Air Canada international lounge, the transborder lounge is a disappointment. The chairs are old and uncomfortable and carpets are worn out, the food quality and options were poor, there is hardly any view of the runways because the terraced set up of the lounge. I would have been better off in a bar in the airport, and will do so next time I'm travel on my expense account, rather than my own dime. The reviews here are about right https://www.loungebuddy.com/YYZ/air...terminal-1-transborder-usa-flights-3Vc5MtM39F

The international lounge is great.

Go to the Air Canada Signature Suites Lounge in the Int'l area when/if you ever can. A whole different experience than any business class lounge that I have been in. It has the quality of a first class lounge (the few that exist around the world). They must have blown all the money constructing this and let the business class lounges age a bit longer.

Go to the Air Canada Signature Suites Lounge in the Int'l area when/if you ever can. A whole different experience than any business class lounge that I have been in. It has the quality of a first class lounge (the few that exist around the world). They must have blown all the money constructing this and let the business class lounges age a bit longer.

More info - Review: https://onemileatatime.com/air-canada-signature-suite-toronto/

AoD

Back