News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I was impressed by the overhead luggage capacity on Air Canada's 787s. I had a couple of full flights to/from Vancouver recently, most people had carry-on, and many of the overheads had excess space!
Last time I went to BC I was on a 787. It was a very pleasant flight, it was half empty so there was lots of room to spread out.

As if things at Pearson couldn't get any worse.
Yesterday I flew KLM from Pearson to Amsterdam from T3. It was easy, we had perhaps 30 people in front of us to check in and we absolutely sailed through security, no more than 5 mins. Our checked luggage arrived with us, no issues. In advance of our trip i asked a friend who‘s a VP at Pearson if I should be worried and he said no, as long as you’re not flying to the US or anywhere via Air Canada we’d be fine, since the issues are lack of US customs and Air Canada check in staff and luggage handlers, plus Air Canada booking flights they know they didn’t have sufficient qualified pilots to fly. My friend said if you’re flying from T3, which uses a different baggage handling firm and avoiding the massively backlogged US preclearance, you’re fine. And we were.

If you’re flying T3, and not to the US, my experience is you’re fine.

Yesterday I flew KLM from Pearson to Amsterdam from T3. It was easy, we had perhaps 30 people in front of us to check in and we absolutely sailed through security, no more than 5 mins. Our checked luggage arrived with us, no issues. In advance of our trip i asked a friend who‘s a VP at Pearson if I should be worried and he said no, as long as you’re not flying to the US or anywhere via Air Canada we’d be fine, since the issues are lack of US customs and Air Canada check in staff and luggage handlers, plus Air Canada booking flights they know they didn’t have sufficient qualified pilots to fly. My friend said if you’re flying from T3, which uses a different baggage handling firm and avoiding the massively backlogged US preclearance, you’re fine. And we were.

That was my experience on Monday. Long line ups for baggage check--in, but otherwise everything went smoothly. My checked baggage arrived at London Gatwick and we sailed through customs and baggage pick-up there.

That was my experience on Monday. Long line ups for baggage check--in, but otherwise everything went smoothly. My checked baggage arrived at London Gatwick and we sailed through customs and baggage pick-up there.
Yes, my nephew arrived at T3 on Sunday from Ireland on Aer Lingus, very speedy in mid-afternoon. The departure level was 'busy' but not crazily so as far as I could tell by walking through it

Great, looking forward to my trip to San Francisco in September on Air Canada. Especially with our toddler and all of the gear that goes with them. Just yesterday they changed our seats (even though we paid for three in a row) as they changed the plane. Still three in a row, but they moved my 1-year old's seat to the other side of the aisle.

I know people who recently flew out T3 and had the same experience you had. Air Canada seems to be the biggest problem. I would never fly with them again.

The taxpayers bailed out Air Canada several times during the pandemic. If they don't have a handle on the airport situation we will have to bail them out again. I say let them fail this time.

Canada recently ranked one of the worst in the world for air travel delays.

Last edited:
Funny we bail Air Canada out with public funds, and they decide not to hire back as many workers as they can, while simultaneously overbooking flights they know they can fulfill in order to maximize revenues that they will keep for the shareholders. Then they'll come back in a couple years and say they cant pay back their loans.

We all know how the story on these corporate bailouts go, but get sucked into it time and time again.

Flying home on SAS to T1 in two weeks. they're an Air Canada partner so I might be pooched on luggage chaos on the way home. We’ll see. Right now I’m cruising off Sweden so I’ll accept the risk.

Last edited:
I was impressed by the overhead luggage capacity on Air Canada's 787s. I had a couple of full flights to/from Vancouver recently, most people had carry-on, and many of the overheads had excess space!

They were designed with larger overhead bins to accommodate the trends to more and larger cabin baggage. The A220/CSeries is really good on this too.

So my experience on AC last week was just fine at T1. I flew out to Paris and was through security in 30 mins. No problems. Lounges were full. On my way back, the problem was I made a connecting flight through Montreal. Luggage was on the flight after mine. Mostly a positive experience. Sailed out of/Into the airport in France (CDG) without a problem. I would say connecting flights are the problem. Direct flights were not.

So my experience on AC last week was just fine at T1. I flew out to Paris and was through security in 30 mins. No problems. Lounges were full. On my way back, the problem was I made a connecting flight through Montreal. Luggage was on the flight after mine. Mostly a positive experience. Sailed out of/Into the airport in France (CDG) without a problem. I would say connecting flights are the problem. Direct flights were not.

I think the biggest problem in T1 is US-bound flights. With Air Canada metering the security line, it doesn't help when US customs is already a bottle neck in itself.

I flew to the US Friday morning. Wasn't allowed to get into the security line until my flight got called. When I was allowed to line up I was through security in 10 minutes but US customs took FOREVER. I ended up making my flight with 5 minutes to spare...

Last time I went to BC I was on a 787. It was a very pleasant flight, it was half empty so there was lots of room to spread out.
Just flew a 787 back to Vancouver (was packed). Probably my favourite of the fleet.

First time in Pearson for a while (sadly will be have to connect through again a few times). Security moved very quickly up until they were basically pulling 80% of bags for a secondary viewing with only one worker checking them.

Top tip given the Maple Leaf Lounge is usually a hot mess, the Air Canada Café not from Mill St in T1 is a fantastic spot (especially if you just want to grab a snack). Was pretty empty (mind you no guests allowed under 75K status I believe).

Back