…an extension of the road, not a realignment.

One sad thing about the Harbour extension; the removal of the City's more successful traffic islands:

1619469893676.png

…an extension of the road, not a realignment.

True. I never noticed where Harbour St ends and Lake Shore East begins - it's actually at that intersection. When the extension opens, that will be a 5-way junction then. Hope it won't be a nightmare for cars, cyclists and pedestrians.

True. I never noticed where Harbour St ends and Lake Shore East begins - it's actually at that intersection. When the extension opens, that will be a 5-way junction then. Hope it won't be a nightmare for cars, cyclists and pedestrians.
The curving ramp will be removed… but I'm not sure if that will come with a single block extension of Harbour, or whether they'll wait until at least a couple blocks of the extension have been opened. Essentially, for those continuing eastbound, the City will need to provide enough places to turn left to go a block north before turning right again onto Lake Shore. Maybe they be happy with one left turn lane at Yonge and one at Freeland to take the load that currently all sweeps north at Yonge, but I'm willing to bet that it will be more left turn lanes to replace the capacity currently in the curving ramp configuration at Yonge.

The curving ramp will be removed… but I'm not sure if that will come with a single block extension of Harbour, or whether they'll wait until at least a couple blocks of the extension have been opened. Essentially, for those continuing eastbound, the City will need to provide enough places to turn left to go a block north before turning right again onto Lake Shore. Maybe they be happy with one left turn lane at Yonge and one at Freeland to take the load that currently all sweeps north at Yonge, but I'm willing to bet that it will be more left turn lanes to replace the capacity currently in the curving ramp configuration at Yonge.

Do the developers plan to use the space where the curving ramp is ASAP (when either Phase 1 or Phase 2 are done)? If not, maybe the city should keep it until Harbour is extended all the way to Jarvis, which I guess won't be until around 2030 when Sugar Wharf's next phase is complete. It sounds like a potential bottleneck to make drivers heading east turn left on Freeland then right again to Lake Shore. Freeland is not a wide street, and by that time there will be lots of new residents in the tower currently under construction plus the twin towers of Sugar Wharf Phase 1, not to mention commercial traffic from LCBO Tower and construction vehicles working on Sugar Wharf Phase 2 and One Yonge's subsequent phases.

Thanks for this angle, definitely the best view of the details on this one going up.

As a bit of a continuation to one of my earlier posts, I photoshopped how I'm imaging the balcony treatment to look (hopefully a super highly visible frit). What I never realized was the way the treatment would be in line almost perfectly with the podium, and I think demonstrates Hariri Pontarini's inventive ways of tying in the tower elements into the ground realm like PJ.

pinnacle.png

1619484619800.png

Do the developers plan to use the space where the curving ramp is ASAP (when either Phase 1 or Phase 2 are done)? If not, maybe the city should keep it until Harbour is extended all the way to Jarvis, which I guess won't be until around 2030 when Sugar Wharf's next phase is complete. It sounds like a potential bottleneck to make drivers heading east turn left on Freeland then right again to Lake Shore. Freeland is not a wide street, and by that time there will be lots of new residents in the tower currently under construction plus the twin towers of Sugar Wharf Phase 1, not to mention commercial traffic from LCBO Tower and construction vehicles working on Sugar Wharf Phase 2 and One Yonge's subsequent phases.
I do not expect Pinnacle will ever get to "use" the curve. It's City property that will never be turned over to them, other than possibly to build it out as a public plaza once the City doesn't need it as roadway anymore (but maybe the City will do that themselves, anyone know for certain?).

I do not expect Pinnacle will ever get to "use" the curve. It's City property that will never be turned over to them, other than possibly to build it out as a public plaza once the City doesn't need it as roadway anymore (but maybe the City will do that themselves, anyone know for certain?).

Last I saw, as per the image below, the plan was to turn the space over to Parks, Forestry and Recreation as public realm space.

1619897915898.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-92511.pdf

Back