The redesign is disappointing. Waterfront prominence deserves more unique architecture. the geometric pattern was really unique and would have stood out much more positively than what was finalized. This to me has much less importance visually and blends in - blending in sometimes isn't always good. The proposed was a great design. The new design is by no means bad, or ugly for that matter, just meh. To me, architecture is an opportunity to stand out, this just blends in. Height is its only real asset now. Just my opinion!

By a high speed elevator !! This developer keeps on changing the building's design. Might as well add this and an observation deck on the top!
So, they should redesign the entire interior of the building too, one where they've already sold the suites, to fit another elevator in? And I suppose add a special lobby to handle it at ground level? Simple! It can't take too many more appearances before the Committee of Adjustments! Call them up. let 'em know!

So, they should redesign the entire interior of the building too, one where they've already sold the suites, to fit another elevator in? And I suppose add a special lobby to handle it at ground level? Simple! It can't take too many more appearances before the Committee of Adjustments! Call them up. let 'em know!

I was wondering about this. If they planned to make an observation deck, they would have to design this in from the get go, including on making allowances to get there. And would likely come as a premium to public deck users for the inconvenience of a dedicated elevator to everyone else who just wants to live in this building...as well as the extra overhead (no pun intended) of fitting that all in, to put it mildly. Therefore, this could never really be an after thought made on any whim.

Last edited:
Back page of the G&M Real Estate section today. Still marketing the old design...

IMG_0656.jpg

Maybe it is just me, but I'm really disappointed by this redesign- looks much too circular for my liking and the enhanced focus on the balconies is quite worrying.

Perusing around it seems lots of people are disappointed. I'll wait till it's done but have largely lost interest in it since they threw this curve ball at everyone. It could look alright but this re-design reminds me of the sort of thing they build in Gold Coast/Miami. Le Monde excluded, I don't like any of the tall condos they're building down there. The mid-rises look heaps nicer.

What is that charcoalized beast in the foreground? Is it new? If so, what in dog's name are developers thinking these days?

The updated design looks more like the older one than it appears - the renderings are in different lighting making the new one look 'cheaper'. The real proof would be in the actual material.
The balconies are definitely bolder and whitened (and wider in Sky Tower) making the buildings more Toronto-esque.

I still think these will look great on the skyline. We can lament all day over new renders, but this will ultimately come down to materials, and the execution of Phase 1 gives me hope.

EDIT: seems as though I used an even older render of Sky Tower. @emphur is correct, the balconies are essentially unchanged besides the whitening.
View attachment 367829View attachment 367828
Looks like Hudson Yards a bit in the top right photo. Let's hope it turns out like that, but it probably will be much worse.

Back